• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weirdest distraction you've had on the course

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Inspired by a recent r/discgolf thread, what's the weirdest distraction you've had on the course?

Last year I had the box in my group at the Idlewild Open (am side) and was getting ready to tee off on hole 3 at Lincoln Ridge. After I took my first step, and just before I was about to turn away, I saw something moving around the basket. It was a doe, and it was casually moving toward the basket, which is easily reachable from the tee. I figured it would just move out of the way, but then its three fawns came out of the same rough and decided to take up residence by the basket. We had to send a runner down to spook them so I could tee off.

Funniest one I saw was at the same tournament, at Mt. Airy. I shot pretty well at Lincoln Ridge and was on lead card the next day at Mt. Airy. That course had a baby raccoon that was basically the course mascot. It followed us around for the first 5 holes or so. Another guy on my card had his tee shot go to the edge of the rough, and when he was throwing his upshot, it ran across his feet, causing him to shank it left. Then, as he was lining up his now-longer-than-expected putt, it ran under the basket and sat down by the pole. I was able to get it to follow me away from the green, but damn if that thing didn't have it out for him.

Last edited:
I was putting (for bird) on the 1st @ Nevin, and this cop just came walking out of the woodline, totally randomly, right behind the basket (from my POV.)

Nice guy, they had cops out there for a while on busy softball/park days, because of car break-ins. He said he got bored and went exploring or something. LOL.

Teeing off at the Original Course at Hudson Mills and a Sandhill Crane comes wandering out of the woods about 15ft in front of the tee. Far too close to a bird of that size. Don't know who was more surprised, the card I was on or the bird. The bird took flight after giving us the stink eye.

A blind man with a white cane was walking through the park course in Fort Stockton, TX. He was alone. I asked if he needed anything and he said, "I live here." He wandered in circles real slow. I don't think his mind was quite right. Mine wasn't either, that day. I don't like Ft. Stockton.

I don't believe I can be distracted playing frisbees though. It doesn't take much concentration, and I'm glad to take a minute to look at something else while playing.

Several years ago there were at least 100 geese sitting on the frozen lake at Shawnee S.P. in PA when I was playing. It wouldn't have been as big a distraction, but they all became quite frazzled for some reason, making a lot of noise. I looked up and saw the reason. There was a bald eagle circling overhead. I guess that I would have been a bit frazzled, too, had I been on its menu. :)

A Black Bear cub, He was standing up holding on to #7 basket looking at me and my dogs.

There apparently was a couple banging in a hammock at a tourney I was at. I didn't see it but several people were talking about it after the round...

A homeless guy on meth(?) aggressively yelled at our group, "how much are one of those bags?"
We didn't understand him, so he clarified, "I said, how much does it cost to look like a little b*tch?"

It was pretty amusing.

Course "distraction"

One time about 3 years ago I was playing during a winter day at Lighthouse course in Centennial CO. Turns out that during my time on the course a motorist stabbed someone else on an adjacent highway and then ran when the cops showed up. The area around the highway and disc golf course is heavily weeded with a creek running through it. The guy disappeared into the brush. I never saw him.

Sooner than later a whole swarm of cops show up with dogs and AR15s looking for the guy. They combed the entire DG course and even asked me what I was up to. It was quickly obvious that I wasn't who they were looking for, so they moved on. Those cops were there the entire time I was playing, looking for the knife wielding guy. Far as I know they didn't find him. They even called out a couple helicopters to aid in the search.

If that doesn't count as a distraction on a DG course, nothing does.

1. snake pissed on my Assistant TDs head from tree branch above the 17th tee at Century Park in Greer.
2. two decently-hot drunk women trying to out-do each other with their burps around 9am at Richmond Hill in Asheville the night after the club had their end of the year party
3. cop speeds across the parking lot to harass our group about to tee off at Crooked Creek, throws his door open and starts to raise his voice but trips over the curb and lands flat on his face. Not sure what kind of organized-crime or slave-peddling ring he thought he was going to arrest but we were all 30 and 40 something year olds with jobs and mortgages...he got up and asked how we were doing and left

While playing a tournament in Cortez, CO several years ago our group stepped up to play a hole only to find a homeless couple passed out/sleeping under the basket. I walked up, and with considerable effort, woke them up and convinced them to move under some nearby trees and out from under the basket.

Forgot about this one that's weirder than geese and an eagle, and more distracting. It's definitely not nearly as cool, though.

I was on a business trip in Phoenix playing Los Olivos. The course is plopped down right in the middle of a busy business and residential area. One one side of the course, across the street, is a skethchy looking walled development. I was just minding my own business, playing a couple rounds of DG.

Out of the blue a car drives by on that street with a guy hanging out the passenger side window yelling "Disc Golf is for p*ssies!" Using my best judgement, I simply looked away and kept playing.

On the way to the next tee there was an older couple sitting on a bench. They asked me "What did they say?" They couldn't believe it either.

Welcome to AZ, Jim!

I threw my drive on a longer hole where you couldn't see the basket because of a hill. When I arrived to my disc, which was just beyond the crest of the hill, there was a couple laying on a blanket making out...my disc came to rest only 30 feet from them. As I was preparing to throw my upshot, I warned them that I was going to throw. They didn't miss a beat in their make-out session and I threw my shot directly over them.

While playing a solo round at Kircher Park, I came upon two drunken young ladies who invited me to their table for a drink. When I refused they started heckling me. That lasted for about five holes.

One time about 3 years ago I was playing during a winter day at Lighthouse course in Centennial CO. Turns out that during my time on the course a motorist stabbed someone else on an adjacent highway and then ran when the cops showed up. The area around the highway and disc golf course is heavily weeded with a creek running through it. The guy disappeared into the brush. I never saw him.

Sooner than later a whole swarm of cops show up with dogs and AR15s looking for the guy. They combed the entire DG course and even asked me what I was up to. It was quickly obvious that I wasn't who they were looking for, so they moved on. Those cops were there the entire time I was playing, looking for the knife wielding guy. Far as I know they didn't find him. They even called out a couple helicopters to aid in the search.

If that doesn't count as a distraction on a DG course, nothing does.

This reminds me of a similar thing that happened @ Eastway. Not quite as dramatic, but it was a ton of cops on foot scouring the park for some dangerous perp, plus a chopper. No ARs that I recall, though.

Several years ago there were at least 100 geese sitting on the frozen lake at Shawnee S.P. in PA when I was playing. It wouldn't have been as big a distraction, but they all became quite frazzled for some reason, making a lot of noise. I looked up and saw the reason. There was a bald eagle circling overhead. I guess that I would have been a bit frazzled, too, had I been on its menu. :)

Geese DO NOT like anything flying over their heads... including disc golf discs. I found that out through experience.

During that Pokemon craze a while back, we had people walking all over the course, paying no attention to those discs flying around them. What I most remember was one woman that got hit by discs not once but twice... she couldn't seem to figure it out the first time...

I played a course with a buddy this summer, where we caught up to a large group that had been ahead of us. They offered to let us play through, and we accepted their offer.
The unnerving thing was that they had a very tall dog with them that stood directly in front of the tee and stared very intently at us while we threw. I now think it was just extremely interested in watching us throw objects that it would very much like to chase after. But, at first, it looked rather like it was sizing us up for a meal.
The owner simply said that the dog would be okay, and not to worry about it. With a bit of trepidation, we each quickly tossed half-hearted throws, and got out of there. I have heard of death putts, but that felt like a death drive.