• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Destiny

Flight numbers: 14, 6, -2, 3

I'd like to see comparisons to Tern or Colossus.

Yes, this. I picked one up today but probably won't get to throw it until this weekend. I'm hoping the VIP plastic will mean some solid fade at the end, which is what my Freedom and Renegade do not do.

The most obvious comparison we need is between a Destiny and the King. Kings can already bee really flippy so is the Destiny really supposed to be even more US?

Is this supposed to be the most US of the 4 westside speed 14's? I am throwing a Ballista right now but worried it might get to flippy when it breaks in so I was thinking of trying a Destiny. If it is more flippy than the King that will be a negative

I'm more interested in the rolling capacity. Has anyone tried rolling these yet? The specs and profile make me think it'll be even better than the Sword, at least for rollers.

So I threw mine today - 168g VIP. Glide was great but not much turn, though I was at an unfamiliar course so I never really cranked it. I can see it beating in nicely maybe nice for a big sky anny shot. Mine went farther than I thought it would on most throws.

So it seems the designs on the drum are of the other discs but I can't place them all. I see King, Northman, Giant, Warship, Stag, Tursas, Sword, and Swan. Anybody know the others? Hatchet for the tree maybe?

My 174g VIP Destiny is very high speed understable but has a good kick of fade at low speed.

I have a number of drivers that are in this range - a Bolt, a couple Vulcans, a few beat Katanas, a moonshine elasto King, etc. but this is one I clicked with really quickly.

I was able to dial it in for low power flips to flat, and long turnovers very quickly. I'm not sure its very different from those other understable high speed drivers but this one seems to work for me. Could have been a hot round though, we'll see. :)

My 175 tp destiny flies far. Like really freakin far.

I bag a 175 champ tern for long hyzer flips and turn overs. In my opinion, the destiny could take the spot of my tern and I wouldnt have any trouble adjusting. That being said, the fade of 3 is real. Once the destiny loses speed and spin, it fades. The turn of -2 is also real. Thrown hard and flat, it turns into the ground for me. If I want max distance out of it, I nees to hyzerflip it, just like my tern.

I like the destiny, but it has not earned a spot in my bag for the sole reason that it does everything my tern does, and my tern is a brighter color

173 Vip Destiny

First throws: flat rhbh ~350feet
slight turn, moderate fade
rim does not feel thick (it's 24mm)

Flashing was noticeable, so used a little sandpaper, after that, it is a lot more US.
Goes far with hyzer flip, but if you can throw 350+, then its high speed understabe, and might not come back if thrown low.

Destiny is flippier than my 175 pro Destroyer (2 months used as main driver, lot of tree hits, has turn, but still strong fade).

I have thrown some Ballistas and Destiny felt like beat Ballista (hypothetically)

Training may have been the wrong word and yes I am just speculating on what data this tech could provide. But these are not crazy parameters we are trying to measure. Say if you know your baseline, you could try little things to make tweaks to say the spin or initial velocity. I want more spin so I cock my wrist more. If it shows improvement, try to duplicate, if not, move on. That kind of stuff. I am not talking about anything drastic. If I throw 400, I shouldn't expect 500 just from a few tweaks. But the ability to see the data for the throws you are making means you can attempt to change that data in a specific way. And there is proof in ball golf that the ability to measure and see that data immediately can lead to big improvement over time b/c you can see you are going in the right direction as opposed to just guessing based on where the ball ended up, or in our case disc.

That might not be unreasonable early on.

I just want to point out that the "proof" in ball golf is only really relevant when you combine the numbers with a trained professional instructor who can not only interpret the numbers but relate them to what you are doing and *KNOWS* what should be changed in order to correct the flaws.

I personally went from a low double digit handicap to sub 5 last season in ball golf, and while I did use a swing analyzer during the second half of the season I would say that it had almost nothing to do with my improvement. It provided me with some cool numbers and confirmed some of the mechanical flaws I knew I was struggling against, but it doesn't tell you *how* to fix it and to put it bluntly: trial and error doesn't work. In fact, the areas of my game where I made the biggest improvement were the ones I didn't even use the analyzer for.

If you want to improve then you need to have a fundamental understanding of both what you're doing wrong and how you should be doing it. Then you need to work against your natural instinct for how it should "feel" and do it correctly until that feels natural, it's extremely counter-intuitive for most people. That's why it's so hard to make form changes, the right way feels wrong so people make tweaks until they are back to doing it the same (wrong) way they did before.

I mean it will be cool to have one of these, and I'll certainly buy one and use it because I think it's interesting. However, I'll caution everyone who thinks this will magically unlock their ability and help them make huge improvements...because it won't. The only way you'll improve is through hard work, good repetitions (with good form), and by having proper training/instruction.

My 175 tp destiny flies far. Like really freakin far......

.....the fade of 3 is real. Once the destiny loses speed and spin, it fades. The turn of -2 is also real. Thrown hard and flat, it turns into the ground for me. If I want max distance out of it, I nees to hyzerflip it, just like my tern.

This is pretty darn accurate for me as well.

I have a VIP @ 168g and a normal arm for a late 30's pudgy dude. Hyzer-flip distance seems easy, I'm used to the glide of Trilogy stuff, but it really seems to boom without having to grunt/etc --- for rollers, I REALLY have to force it over or it doesn't get a good angle (that's me needing practice on rollers), but if hit, this thing takes off rolling. In the air, it will turn and run away if I throw it too hard/too flat, but if allowed to flip up a bit, it will get out there and you can tell when it loses speed, it has a decent/noticeable fade.

Anyone know when this accelerometer gizmo is coming out from Post 1? I'd really like to see some speed and spin data on my throws.

Have more of these got out in peoples' hands? I just acquired a TP Destiny and only have a half dozen throws with it, I want see how people are finding it (so I get a better idea if I should trade before it gets too dinged up).

It feels fantastic in a backhand grip, but it's more of a speed 13 than 14...slightly smaller rim than the World and more dome. It's still fast obviously. It seems like a more forgiving Vulcan with a better feel in the hand so far (has a little more depth, feels better than a Tern to me too). Doesn't like headwind or L to R wind though for my arm speed. I haven't got angles right in the field with it, but on a few powered down hyzer flips on the course it flew nice turnover lines.

I throw ~400' and it's right on the edge of being too flippy for me...I need some more throws in the open to see if it can get max D or if it caps out just as a turnover driver for me. I haven't got the height correct on it yet to get it to fade out of a big turnover at high power. But I can see for people 325-375' who want a fast disc it's likely a good choice.

I throw ~400' and it's right on the edge of being too flippy for me...

It's flippy for me. If I'm throwing a wide rim, its for Max D. At full power, less than 450', it turns and stayed turned on everything except a deep hyzer or a lot of height even in a tailwind. I've got a beat silly Outlaw to cover that slot or a well seasoned bio trespass that might be a tick more HSS.

I threw a 173 white VIP and its really fast. I don't agree with Westside's -2 turn, 3 fade number compared to Innova's Champ Katana -2, 3. The Destiny was closer to a Vulcan -4, 2 but having more glide and probably less fade.

I'm sure some big arms will love it for out of the box rollers or some 300' wannabe will buy a light wt. one and crush me at leagues in the air and/or on the roll:\;)

I just got back from the field and got some more throws with the TP Destiny. I agree that it turns and stays turned, unless I screw up the nose angle and get it up high. I think if it's thrown with 350' power or less it would be -2/3, thrown more than that it's -3/2 (it actually covers a lot of lateral ground this way and it might be a useful flight pattern). After that it wasn't coming back at all. It's definitely fast and gets out there quick, but I still haven't hit a distance line with it yet to push it past my Destroyers on golf shots...and on a low line drive I'm better off hammering on a more stable disc.

Destiny

I got some throws on a Destiny yesterday. Calm conditions. Not even a hint of a breeze. It's right at the edge of being too flippy. Good news is, it has just enough stability late in flight to fight left a bit (RHBH).

I had to hyzerflip it a bit to keep it from flipping and burning. Not a severe hyzerflip though. I'd say the stability is about -3, 1. It wasn't quite as flippy as a Nuke SS I was comparing it to.

OUTSTANDING glide. Easily 5 or 6 in that category. Great overall flyer. Not really an S curve disc. More like straight glidy distance. I was able to get it out about as far as any disc I own (450'ish). For me the Destiny was just a tad more stable than the King. I never had any luck keeping a King from flipping entirely no matter how much angle I hyzerflipped it from.

The verdict? Outstanding distance disc if you have a little room to work. I'd never try to thread it on a tight line anywhere, but if you have an opportunity to grip and rip it's a superb flier that will have few peers in terms of overall distance. I can totally see this disc being peoples' longest driver. There are few discs out now that will match the Destiny for distance. It's fun to throw. Takes a few tosses to gauge the stability, but once you do the Destiny will almost shock you with how far it ends up downrange.

I'd leave this disc in the bag if I were playing a very tight course or if it were windy. I can see wind causing havoc on it.

I recently purchased a 166G VIP Destiny. I have a pretty slow arm and am happy to get drives out around 300-325' on flat ground. I really like this disc as I can throw it on a slight hyzer and it will stand up for a bit before fading out. I did however turn this thing over a bit throwing on a wide open downhill hole and it took a long time for it to fight out and start fading. I wouldn't plan on doing S curves with this. I have been trying to decide between this disc and the Renegade. The Destiny feels bettwe in my hand. The Renegade's rim feels shallow.

max weight VIP. I really like this disc, but I mostly use it for long turnovers. I can put some hyzer on it and roll it over a long distance and it still has some good stability at the end to keep from pitching over and sailing right forever.

Also good for low power distance, as is anything glidey and easy to flip up.

Kings sound like they've gone to hell. I have two newer ones - a glow elasto and a vip. the glow elasto is super understable at high speed and has a bunch of fade at the end (if it didnt touch down and go roller...) like the most extreme beast or katana I've ever seen. The vip is a bit more hss, but not much fade, so it stays turned like a beat trespass. neither are anywhere near my bag. poor Kings.

King had a chance at being a favorite of mine...but....not consistent in flight. I got lucky and have a VIP with rating I'll say 13/5/-1.5/2.5 and its a good King. But I cannot commit to them. Unles its a big open course without water or OB, i dont trust the king as much as I want to

Latest posts