• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Gatekeeper - Midrange

PMantle

* Ace Member *
Surprised no one has started threads on the new Trilogy stuff for '19, so here goes one of them.

4/5/0/2

Straighter Bard? Slower Pine?

48403219_1892859654096259_5021610874117292032_n.jpg

Huh... seems too close to the Pine to be useful but who knows.

For me the Bard is just perfect, they can do almost everything and feel good in hand. Maybe these will be that less stable one that people like?

Interesting. I'd say that VIP Pines are already perfect as a straighter Bard. Harps are a 4-3-0-3, the same speed as this, so I guess this is a straighter and glidier Harp? Sounds kind of odd but intriguing.

Interesting. I'd say that VIP Pines are already perfect as a straighter Bard. Harps are a 4-3-0-3, the same speed as this, so I guess this is a straighter and glidier Harp? Sounds kind of odd but intriguing.

Forgot about that. So, they have 4s in both putter and mid categories. Strange.

I can't find anything about this one on the PDGA approved discs page, nor can I find a hit on Google... I wonder if it's listed with a Finnish name somewhere?

I'm curious to see if it's more Harp-like or more Pine-like in terms of diameter and height etc.

Wonder what the dimensions are.

Is it smaller like Anvil from last year or a little bigger like the Pine & Bard.

Bard is a little deep for me, Pine feels about perfect.

Will be interesting.

According to the video it holds any line, even with more power.

Similar to a Comet I wonder.

I can't find anything about this one on the PDGA approved discs page, nor can I find a hit on Google... I wonder if it's listed with a Finnish name somewhere?

I'm curious to see if it's more Harp-like or more Pine-like in terms of diameter and height etc.

It has not been PDGA approved yet...expected to be included in the January batch. It's not scheduled for release until March.

I'll give it a go when it comes out - Westside dominates my putter and mid sector as it is.

Agree that it is hard to see much differentiation at this point.

is this beaded or beadless? should be cool to try it out at this Years Trilogy Challenge ,if not before

Beadless. My understanding is that VIP Gatekeepers are supposed to be released for retail sale sometime in March. The Trilogy Challenge will feature Tournament Burst Gatekeepers.

I know the stamp upthread says speed 4, but for all intents and purposes, it's a 5 speed. In shape and size and flight, it's much much much closer to the Sling and the Pine (I'd slot it in between them in stability) than the Harp. Some profile comps...

attachment.php

Beadless. My understanding is that VIP Gatekeepers are supposed to be released for retail sale sometime in March. The Trilogy Challenge will feature Tournament Burst Gatekeepers.

I know the stamp upthread says speed 4, but for all intents and purposes, it's a 5 speed. In shape and size and flight, it's much much much closer to the Sling and the Pine (I'd slot it in between them in stability) than the Harp. Some profile comps...

attachment.php

Hate to say it, looks like those images are broken. Or could be on my end; I am using IE after all :|

Does make you scratch your head and wonder why they reinvented the straight midrange wheel, rather than maybe coming out with something interesting like a whippet/trident clone, or a Harp SS or something.

It has me wondering.

They are pretty solid in that spot, why hit it one more time? Maybe they were not happy with the result of the Pine?

Or are they just on autopilot, no one really minding the ship, that'll work for a new release type deal?

Headscratcher for sure, especially when you consider that Westside is co-owned by Lat and DD. I mean, the Pioneer looks really redundant for the Trilogy lineup too, but from Lat's perspective it makes sense since they get full revenue from it and only partial revenue from the Ahti (and to an even lesser extent the Felon). But why would Lat/DD want to muddy up the waters by releasing a midrange that each of their lineups already have well-covered? Weird.

Honestly though that shape really looks good to me. If it is like a Compass but with a bit more glide/range to it so I can throw it as far as every other mid then I would really like to try one. I have never owned a Compass, but every time I have tried one they had a fantastic trusty flight, but have always felt a little short to me for some reason. And that's coming from someone who usually throws all mids within like 10' of each other.

There's so many good mids out there right now that you can really find whatever you want in a plastic you like for the most part.

Definitely agree. There are almost too many great mids available, and I struggle with wanting to try a lot of them even though what I bag fits my game well.

I love my VIP Pines. Couple of aces and many metals hits from the tee this last summer. The Gatekeeper would have to be pretty amazing to get me to put down the Pines.