• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Giant

The only Elasto Giant I have tried was insane OS. So OS for me I can't evaluate it as more or less than other beefcake discs. I know you have a big forehand so you can probably tell more variations in stupid OS stuff. But this was like 13/3/+1/4, like the beefiest Enforcers I have tried or stupid OS Destroyer.

This makes me happy to hear. Thanks!

The only Elasto Giant I have tried was insane OS. So OS for me I can't evaluate it as more or less than other beefcake discs. I know you have a big forehand so you can probably tell more variations in stupid OS stuff. But this was like 13/3/+1/4, like the beefiest Enforcers I have tried or stupid OS Destroyer.

Yeah, Elasto Giants are ridiculous overstable. I have one that I've thrown two years and it's still my headwind go to driver.

Bump

Really have been liking my Recycled Giant. Have been reaching for it a lot over my Trespass so far this summer. Don't think I'm quite ready to drop the Trespass for max d, but who knows in a couple months.

I will be stocking up on Recycled Giants and pairing them with TPs.

I have a recycled, but it's in catch 22 land. It's not beat in enough to have a real use for me, and since I have no use for it, it's not getting beat in. I need a friend with a big arm or a forehander to use my new OS stuff for a while, then give it back.

Anybody notice the Giant got a slight stamp change? He looks goofier now. I was wondering if these were molding up any different than usual.

Kind of a strange change, I like the old one more

2405-2.jpg

He does look a little on the dopey side now.

I may get one of these after the Elastos are all gone.

On another note, I've run across an oddball Giant. Generally I use these guys for FH over 400, with the more OS ones used for big disctance bombs, and the more straight stable ones for a low flat shot that gets good D through tighter or more precise spaces. But I've run across a Sparkle VIP that is as flippy as one of the more OS Kings. Thrown FH I have to hyzerflip is to get it to not roll, and through I can usually only BH a Giant 350-375 I can throw this guy BH 400.

Has anyone else got a freak like this? Are all of the glitter ones flippy?

That stamp changed a while ago. I feel like it has been at least 2 months since I saw the new stamps on Infinite and Marshall Street.

He does look a little on the dopey side now.

I may get one of these after the Elastos are all gone.

On another note, I've run across an oddball Giant. Generally I use these guys for FH over 400, with the more OS ones used for big disctance bombs, and the more straight stable ones for a low flat shot that gets good D through tighter or more precise spaces. But I've run across a Sparkle VIP that is as flippy as one of the more OS Kings. Thrown FH I have to hyzerflip is to get it to not roll, and through I can usually only BH a Giant 350-375 I can throw this guy BH 400.

Has anyone else got a freak like this? Are all of the glitter ones flippy?

I have bagged a metal flake for awhile now and it is still pretty stable-stable. It did have a little less fade than my standard VIP, but I love it for forehand. Sounds like you got yourself a freak, my friend!

Thrown 4 Giants. Quite a bit of variation in stability. A tourny plastic Giant is pure beef. A couple VIPs I have are noticeably less stable.

Good mold. Very much like a Boss. If you can find a Giant with dome that glides you'll have a great all purpose long driver.

Giant

Old thread, time for a quick Giant update.

I happened upon an air VIP Giant recently. I had never seen one before. this one is 154g.

The disc has a nice dome, and is somewhat gummy. The plastic itself is of way better quality than Innova blizzard.

Great flier. The Giant in lighter weight seems to be a perfect crusher. The disc will turn if you hit it hard flat, but it definitely won't flip all the way over. Better yet, it'll hold the turn for a while before fading. Great glide and Big distance. Honestly, this thing reminded me of a really good Sheriff. Anyone who likes the feel of a Giant but finds them a little beefy should definitely look at the air Giant.

Top distance was probably 440'. So far I like Westside's air discs. I've thrown an air World as well.

Where would the Giant fit in the Innova lineup? I'm looking for a high headwind driver 30+ and was considering this. I throw 375 in calm conditions. I have a couple VIP Worlds that work OK up to about 25 mph but can't handle the 30-35. I have a Stiletto too but I don't love the grip.

Maybe a heavier and higher PLH VIP Giant?

Giant is a great disc and is probably the one I can throw the furthest forehand. Like many high speed drivers they can be a little all over the place in stability, but the average Giant has good high speed stability and you won't see much turn until you throw them with 400+ Ft of power.

In the Innova lineup it would be closest to a Boss, but with a more pleasant grip IMO.

Giant is a great disc and is probably the one I can throw the furthest forehand. Like many high speed drivers they can be a little all over the place in stability, but the average Giant has good high speed stability and you won't see much turn until you throw them with 400+ Ft of power.

In the Innova lineup it would be closest to a Boss, but with a more pleasant grip IMO.

I don't think the Giant will stand up to 30+ MPH headwinds though. Decent overstable disc, but it isn't really made for gusty conditions.

For big time wind the Warhorse would be a better choice.

I do agree that a Giant is fairly similar to a Boss, especially the newer Bosses that are super beefy.

I don't think the Giant will stand up to 30+ MPH headwinds though. Decent overstable disc, but it isn't really made for gusty conditions.

For big time wind the Warhorse would be a better choice.

I do agree that a Giant is fairly similar to a Boss, especially the newer Bosses that are super beefy.

I would agree with that, the Warhorse is an amazing disc. Although at 30 MPH almost anything is getting knocked around.

I actually did a video where I threw a bunch of OS discs in the rain with a 20+ mph headwind and the Warhorse, Enforcer and Rask did the best.

their is not really any silverbullet answer for a disc in 30 mph wind.

that is extreme for our sport. At that point superb technique will dictate more than the perfect disc choice!

any high speed overstable flattish distance driver thrown by a master of delivery will determine performance and results. not the disc~

Man I forgot how much I loved throwing the giant a few years ago. Awesome forehand disc, I actually preferred the tournament plastic ones that were a bit more mellow. Still beefy but at the time the vip's were flatter and super beef.

I threw the sword a lot back then also, it was a straighter wraith for me. Kings were amazing too, years ago when there were runs out there with the belly button dimple. Those were the perfect amount of flip and fade that led to insane distance. Later ones got real flippy and I eventually moved away from them. No clue how they fly now.

their is not really any silverbullet answer for a disc in 30 mph wind.

that is extreme for our sport. At that point superb technique will dictate more than the perfect disc choice!

any high speed overstable flattish distance driver thrown by a master of delivery will determine performance and results. not the disc~

I think that is generally true, however I think getting in the ballpark helps too. I maybe once a month or so get that high wind and I struggle to have enough beef. I do have some beefy discs like the Stiletto which does alright, same with the Rask. I don't like the feel of either very much though. So I am still searching out other options.

I think that flattish and high speed is the key. I also tried a Star Destroyer which was a little domier and it didn't work. It turned and burned.

Let's say I throw 55 mph. Now add a 30 mph headwind and we have an airspeed on the disc of 85 mph. Funny downwind that would translate to a 25 mph airspeed. Better throw something slower and flippy!

I think that is generally true, however I think getting in the ballpark helps too. I maybe once a month or so get that high wind and I struggle to have enough beef. I do have some beefy discs like the Stiletto which does alright, same with the Rask. I don't like the feel of either very much though. So I am still searching out other options.

I think that flattish and high speed is the key. I also tried a Star Destroyer which was a little domier and it didn't work. It turned and burned.

Let's say I throw 55 mph. Now add a 30 mph headwind and we have an airspeed on the disc of 85 mph. Funny downwind that would translate to a 25 mph airspeed. Better throw something slower and flippy!

I don't generally like to post my videos on here, but this may be helpful since conditions are closer to what you are facing. You can see me clearly struggle at times to keep the Destroyer, Zeus and others in the air. But the I had some very promising throws with others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c924Nwo8vxo&t=8s

I don't generally like to post my videos on here, but this may be helpful since conditions are closer to what you are facing. You can see me clearly struggle at times to keep the Destroyer, Zeus and others in the air. But the I had some very promising throws with others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c924Nwo8vxo&t=8s

Watched your vid. No doubt about it the Rask is likely the fastest disc on the market. I don't like the feel but maybe I should just bag it for those big headwind days. If any disc cuts through the air fast it's the Rask, it has never flipped on me. I was reading that the Warhorse is a little deeper which I also am not a fan of. I should maybe check that out too though.