• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Queen

With the Queen's overall height at 1.5 cm compared to the King at 1.9 cm, that's a pretty significant difference in overall feel in the hand.

With the Queen's overall height at 1.5 cm compared to the King at 1.9 cm, that's a pretty significant difference in overall feel in the hand.
I'm not giving much credit to the thickness speck of high speed drivers. When you compare a domey King to a flat one, there could already be that 0.4cm difference in height.

With putters it is way more reliable info.

ok, there's at least 10 (is there something i'm forgetting?)

1. king
2. world
3. destiny
4. catapult
5. queen
6. missilen
7. raketen
8. knight
9. ballista
10. freedom

i wouldn't necessarily say it is a problem. but, considering that a majority of disc golfers don't have a speed 14 arm, i'd say all of those seem unnecessary, especially considering the fact that they collectively have fewer than 5 speed 10 discs.

like i said, more power to them, but i don't see the point

i won't even go into the safety aspect of too many high speed drivers on the course in hands of those who can't control them

i'll leave that rant for mr. dunipace

Having a "speed 14" arm doesn't mean anything. My buddy who can probably throw 310~ max liked the king for about a month. Then he said it turned into a "flip machine" and was to unreliable. You really think he has to much arm for a speed 14 disc? No. Speed numbers don't really matter. If speed REALLY mattered, the top pros would throw the fastest discs, but they don't. They throw discs that are consistent. Its why Ricky and Drew like the Enforcer and Stiletto, Eagle and Simon like the PD2, and McBeth likes the destroyer. All controllable high speed drivers.

Last edited:
[Sarcasm]Yeah, friends don't let friends drive 14 speed discs. [/Sarcasm]

and "your buddy" really has no business throwing a king when there are literally dozens of discs better suited for someone who maxes out at 310

As much as I understand that...disc companies wouldn't be making more than one or two speed 12+ models each if people with <310' didn't buy them. And they certainly wouldn't be making flippy ones.

and "your buddy" really has no business throwing a king when there are literally dozens of discs better suited for someone who maxes out at 310

Thats a joke right? If a speed 14 disc is flippy, which lets be honest, most of them are. Who cares how hard you throw? So your saying someone needs to throw 400 feet to throw a king? Essentially turning it into a roller disc. Nice logic.

Thats a joke right? If a speed 14 disc is flippy, which lets be honest, most of them are. Who cares how hard you throw? So your saying someone needs to throw 400 feet to throw a king? Essentially turning it into a roller disc. Nice logic.

you do realize that there is a difference between arm speed and power, right?

this is an amusing discussion. Anyone who says you need a big arm to throw super fast discs has not thrown most of them. Ever tried a freedom? I had a opto one that was almost impossible to not completely flip throwing at a 45% hyzer and at the time I was maxing out around 350.

I understand that throwing slower more controlled discs is better for form and consistency. Lets be honest though, most of these really fast discs,(ballista, King, Queen, Bolt, Thrasher, Destiny, Knight, Cannon, unlace, Rakateen, Colossus, Sorcerer, Katana, Crank SS) are designed for people who DON'T have big arms and are looking for some way, anyway, to throw farther. Typically the fastest thing I throw is a trespass, however I do have a ballista in my bag and for a certain line it is much farther than anything else I have. It is also very difficult to throw on that line. The more I play the more I agree with slower discs. When I see my teebird land next to my trespass you have to second guess throwing fast discs

this is an amusing discussion. Anyone who says you need a big arm to throw super fast discs has not thrown most of them. Ever tried a freedom? I had a opto one that was almost impossible to not completely flip throwing at a 45% hyzer and at the time I was maxing out around 350.

I understand that throwing slower more controlled discs is better for form and consistency. Lets be honest though, most of these really fast discs,(ballista, King, Queen, Bolt, Thrasher, Destiny, Knight, Cannon, unlace, Rakateen, Colossus, Sorcerer, Katana, Crank SS) are designed for people who DON'T have big arms and are looking for some way, anyway, to throw farther. Typically the fastest thing I throw is a trespass, however I do have a ballista in my bag and for a certain line it is much farther than anything else I have. It is also very difficult to throw on that line. The more I play the more I agree with slower discs. When I see my teebird land next to my trespass you have to second guess throwing fast discs

So true, but why would you want to stop a disc company from making $$ off of noobs that are desperate for more distance and are too dumb to do their own field work and figure out for themselves that a speed 7-9 will most of the time go JUST AS FAR. Not every time, but most of the time. Field work will teach you that but in the meantime, let the noobs continue to buy them. What's it hurting? Its good for the sport right? Don't get me wrong, I own many of these discs, but I rarely throw them anymore (or buy more of them). I too have been stupid. Many times.

I don't begrudge them. I am still dreaming of the perfect disc. Bought a Octane recently, working on beating it in. Super LSS so should bomb once it breaks in

EXACTLY. Its is a HUGE misconception that you need fast arm speed to throw a lot of the speed 14 discs. In fact, they are more sensitive to nose and hyzer angle. When someone says, "Oh I can't throw anything faster than a speed 9 disc" I kind of just roll my eyes.

I tried discing down this year and learned a lot that will take me years to apply...

One thing I learned is that I need to keep throwing slower and understable discs in order improve my form at/near max power, because I when I hit the right line with the right wind read, its a very usable line and great distance.

Another thing I learned is that slower discs are more susceptible to wind speed. So when I'm playing a round and I want open max distance, I'm throwing a speed 11+ for consistency. Sorry Teebirds and Saints.

I'm always curious about the disc stability and line that pros are using to hit 500'. I can keep US discs in the air to 400+ no problem, but I wouldnt know how to mash a fresh Giant hard enough to flip it, so I'm guessing my form is probably better than my power (meaning I'm not applying much OAT, not that my form is good enough to create a 500'-of-power whip and put the disc on a 500' line.)

That said I dont think I'm a total noodle arm scrub.. maybe I'm delusional, but having played sports my whole life I always feel like there's something I'm seriously missing when trying to crack this 400+ plateau that I've been stuck at for almost two years.

The notion that smaller arms can't throw speed 14 discs is complete BS. True, there's a ton of high speed drivers I have no business throwing such as Destroyer, Boss, World, Etc. On the other hand I have no problem getting some good solid flip (turn) out of a Freedom, King, or Tern for a full flight. Again, I don't have a big arm but I own and have field tested hundreds of discs side by side and have found I can throw Kings further than any other disc (Freedom pretty close). Are they my most accurate disc? Absolutely not. Do they fly tight lines for me? Absolutely not (big sweep right then a fade back to center - lateral room required). Do they go further than other discs that fly tighter lines? Yes! Are understable high speed discs the right choice for most tee shots? Definitely not in the woods of North Carolina. Are they the best for maximizing distance if there's plenty of lateral room for the disc to work? They are for me. I cringe every time I hear someone say throw your mids "x" distance for even touching a driver. I get that may be best for working on form but if you're on the tee and you want the most distance go with what works. I actually believe using an understable max D driver is probably better for learning form than trying to flex a Boss or Destroyer. Okay... getting off the soap box...

I've got a couple of Queens on order (one VIP and one Tournament). Right now I use Tournament Hatchets for turnovers that don't fight back. My hope is that the Queen will be a longer Hatchet for me. Kings turn significantly for me but come back at the end. Who has thrown a Queen? I'd love to hear some reviews from those who have thrown them.