• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Queen

speed and power aren't the same thing

This was said earlier in the thread too and never explained. I have no idea what this means?

Generally people say they are a power thrower if they can throw far...throwing far needs a high disc velocity. Discs that are thrown faster go farther. You don't have to be strong or "powerful" in the general sense of the word to throw fast...but you need to throw fast to throw far, to be considered a "power thrower".

speed and power aren't the same thing

Please explain. I understand that technique is more important than physical strength in getting a disc to behave as expected (getting a disc up to speed to behave as intended). Is that what you're talking about? I'm not trying to argue at all - I truly want to understand what you are saying.

Arm speed vs. strength. Imaging a lanky thrower with whip in the arm and rapid arm movement vs. a muscle-bound very strong person who has limited agility and mobility.

Think Jackie Chan beating the crap out of Arnold.

That's how I understand it.

Technique vs power, look at Will Schusterick vs Avery Jenkins.

But I think more germane to our discussion might be MJ to AJ.

MJ uses less stable plastic than some of these guys to get the distance, like most of us non-pros.

Far comes from clean, not just from speed. Having strength helps because it will help you generate a strong body whip with less than max exerton which should help with control.

Strength without good form relies on overstability to absorb OAT which will cause the same behavior as a naturally less stable disc, and will ultimately limit the distance that you could achieve with better form and a disc with stability that matches your clean arm speed.

In summatry, if the bag of bones that is Will S. can throw 500 then so can anyone with technique as good as his.

My point is that the person who throws faster, throws "harder", and throws farther. It doesn't really matter if you are strong/muscular...it matters what exit velocity you can achieve (of course without wobbly OATs and a good nose angle...let's be reasonable). And I call higher velocity, a higher powered throw.

Agreed it's technique rather than raw strength "power", otherwise Schustrick and Eagle wouldn't outdistance Koling and Avery.

Bought one, threw it a few times.

I am not really sure why this disc even exists in the Westside lineup. If you have thrown a Destiny, you have thrown a Queen. Understable to the point where if you get it turned over basically at all it will hold the right turn forever. It doesn't turn and burn, but it isn't coming out either. When I got the right amount of hyzer flip, it did good work and flew like a 14 speed should, but just a little variation and it got really squirrely.

If you like super-fast understable discs with shallow rims, this will be fine, but the Destiny is very similar from the same mfgr.

My Destiny has some fade on it if I give it enough air to come back.. but ya, newer Kings stay flipped too. Doesnt seem like new ground has been broken here. Thx for the report.

DI_Queen.JPG

She's so hawt though. Girly chicks with big hands needed this disc, Kings and Destinies are too macho.

Kyle Webster did a really good review on the Queen:
https://youtu.be/UTk7ZBvR8Bo

One of the best reviews I've seen even if it doesn't have too many shots in it.

In the end the Queen seems very understable. Kyle surely has more power than your average Queen thrower, but even powered down it seemed really flippy.

Maybe make a 14 speed that doesn't flip out of the box? I don't need another quick flip roller. I already have the havoc.

Yeah too flippy for me. I can already roll my TP King thrown flat, does anyone with that little power really need that much speed?

so after reading the first 3 pages, I wasn't sure if this was a thread discussing a queen or a bunch of clowns talking trash.

My review of the queen is, it's SUPER understable. To be honest, I'm not much of a forehand player so this disc has found a place in my bag when I need that long slow right fade. I don't have time to beat in underworlds or kings, right out of the box, this disc goes right, and I couldn't be happier. I use it for long fades to the right (RHBH) and I was able to get a nice 360ft roller out of it the other night, would have been longer, but the grass was a tad high.

That's my review.

so after reading the first 3 pages, I wasn't sure if this was a thread discussing a queen or a bunch of clowns talking trash.

My review of the queen is, it's SUPER understable. To be honest, I'm not much of a forehand player so this disc has found a place in my bag when I need that long slow right fade. I don't have time to beat in underworlds or kings, right out of the box, this disc goes right, and I couldn't be happier. I use it for long fades to the right (RHBH) and I was able to get a nice 360ft roller out of it the other night, would have been longer, but the grass was a tad high.

That's my review.

A) Formal thanks for your review.

B) Go into User CP > Edit Options > Number of posts shown per page and set it higher

:thmbup::hfive:

Really love this disc for effortless distance. Wind allowing, this thing is so fun to play with. The (nose placement) release angle is so absurdly forgiving.

There are times when only something like a pearly champ wraith can go straight and fade down straight like you'll need it. But alllllllll the other times I'd rather toss this.

Yes, this thread is a bit old, but I figured I'd chime in....

Found a Queen in a river recently. Its heavy (175g). Tossed it around some last weekend in varying wind conditions. Before I get into this, I'll state that I knew exactly what I was getting into here stability-wise.

First off, the Queen has a funny rim configuration that doesn't feel or look like the King or Destiny at all. It seems blunter. Its plenty fast and glides well, yet at times still seemed to fly sluggishly for a purported 14 speed driver. I'd think I absolutely killed it on a throw only to have it land short of what I was expecting.

Its very understable. You CAN keep this disc on a decent flight line by throwing it hyzer, but even that is risky. Once the Queen flips over, its gone. No fight in it at all and it drifts all the way to the ground. A little low speed fade would have done this mold some good.

It seems to glide well, but for whatever reason doesn't provide long, penetrating flights. Overall I was disappointed with the distance I was getting even on good rips. Out of about 15 throws with the Queen I think I had 1 perfect one. Rest were flips.

I could see it being useful for downwind or uphill shots, but nothing else. Even if I were looking for sheer understable bombs I wouldn't choose this disc. For me the Nuke SS and Bolt are both better options.

I don't think so, but I've seen some TP closer to 160.

Latest posts