• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are some unique "nice little touches" to add to a course?

Flowers around tees and between holes where they're not likely to be trampled definitely add to the aesthetics of the course, good point.

Since the land I am building on was logged 40 or 50 years ago there are random mounds of dirt here and there which left to their own device are rather ugly but after popping some ferns and flowers in look great.

The flower thing is a great point. It would be nice to have these out of the way next to the fairways and greens. Even a decently trimmed bush would be nice. Fruit trees would be a coold thing to have randomly through out the course too.

I know this is kind of a wish list thread. Most of the suggestions are good ones...flowers, bridges, brooms, benches, signage, etc.. At the same time, many people are ready to revolt if they have to pay "more than $2 or 3 for a round. All of the suggestions cost money. Money to purchase, money to maintain. Then, unfortunately, these things get destroyed/vandalized. I still can't comprehend why people do this. I have made FOUR signs for one hole at a local course...all have vanished. Most of the rest of the signs are trashed. I would think disc courses will get nicer WHEN and IF people treat them with a little more respect.

Lots of good ideas but just a few simple low cost things would really up the experience:
- Bag hooks
- Next tee arrows - mounted on the pole under the basket
- Markers on the signage for the current basket location

A little more expense:
- Benches and trash cans
- Mulched trails and bridges over water/muddy spots

As for flowers - I'd rather have native shrubs and wildflowers.

David Sauls said:
Multiple practice basket complex at the IDGC complex.

I really wish they would plant sod on some of the baskets that are meant for the approach shots...lots of rocks to chew up your discs!

Lewis said:
I also saw photos somewhere on this forum where an elementary school class drew the tee signs for a course.

I saw this in practice at Elon in Charlotte. While it was cool I do wish that there were also standard teesigns indicating flight paths and diagrams of the holes (which the school kids did not).

1.) Excellent signage is a must!
2.) A kiosk helps keep players informed about what is going on at the course!
3.)Bullseye tape or paint in the sweet spot of the basket...it's like assisted practice during rounds.
4.)It's been mentioned-but art! Anything cool or out of the ordinary can leave a lasting impression.

Not available in all locales, but where possible there should be a vista point of some sort where you could sit on comfortable benches and chill out while you look over the landscape - the farther the better.

Sky High DGC has one like that - people take their old/cr@ppy discs and "sacrifice" them off the ledge @ hole 11, where the view goes for about 50-75 miles ...

How does this not mess with the baseball?

It would have to be in a strategic place, like by the dugouts, but in any event, in foul territory. But all of the public baseball fields I've ever seen have gates by the dugouts that you can just open and walk through if you need to retrieve your disc.

Those nextee arrows can get expensive, even just tape or spray paint on a basket rung goes a long way.

Agreed. Just painting a spoke on the basket showing the direction to the next tee is so inexpensive, but just one of those nice little touches that help out for first-timers.

Here are some of the things we have at Foundation Park:

Small concrete triangles painted yellow and flush with the ground under the basket pointing to the next teebox. Inexpensive and permanent.

Small signs helping to guide you to the next tee when it's not obvious. They are made from small(6 inch dia) log cutoffs with arrows routed into them.

Trash cans on every other hole.

Benches about every third hole. Need more!!! And have to get some on our Rec course.

Practice basket, with concrete markers flush in the ground, starting at 10' and spiraling out to 60'.

Driving range, with markers and pampas grass clumps every 50', starting at 100' and going out to 550' (that is waaaayyy overkill for me unfortunately!!!)

We need to put more bag hangers on the poles (large spike nails the cheapest).

And I would like to put a drink holder of some kind on the teepad poles also.

I'm going to put some woodchips down on a couple of our paths that go from basket to the next tee (why didn't I think of that???)

Jeff

P.S. You have to come and check out our new Concrete teepads!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a couple pics of things I saw on friday when I played Wisconsin's newest great course, Rollin Ridge. Hole 8 has a deck/bridge area for the long and medium tees with inlaid pavers for the tee pad and all the tee pads are trapezoidal with an extra square of concrete extending beyond the tee pad for a follow through area.

Attachments

• P1020178.jpg
    P1020178.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P1020191.jpg
    P1020191.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 79
I think a nice little touch is, on tee signs, instead of representations of the hole mocked up on the signs, actual pictures of the hole from the tee pad. It just makes it nice when searching for the basket. Gives a better representation of whats out there, and exactly where to look for the basket.

Granted after you know the course it's not a problem, but when I go to a new course, and there are multiple pins, it makes it nice finding them for the first time.

What is all this noise about bag hangers and bag hooks?

I have never seen that on any course. I feel like my bag is less likely to rip by setting it on the ground than hanging it by it's quads.

Distance markers to the basket for longer holes every 50ft.

Warning signs in multi use parks. To many people are not sure what the guys throwing Frisbees at the weird BBQ pits are doing....
:clap: theres way too many times i have to wait for people wandering thru the fairways, when a simple sign could guide a safer path, esp. for discers walking to next holes.

Are there any concerns for brick/paver tees and traction when wet?

I'm newer to the sport but here's my $.02

These things I think are most haves on any course.

1-wood chips around baskets and on trails to the next teebox would be so welcomed! Especially when those areas are shaded and don't dry as fast as other areas. (Milo McIver)

2a-signage on baskets with directions to next tee. One course around here signs on top of the basket that has hole # and arrow to next tee with how far away in feet. (Corban)

2b-signage on teeboxes. Showing exact course using land marks like fallen tree, lake, creek to give you a better idea of hole layout

3-garbage cans at more teeboxes. Every 2nd or 3rd tee would be perfect. Maybe even one for garbage and one for cans/bottles (then maybe the $ can go back into course maintenance) (Dallas CP)

4- benches every 3rd or 4th hole would be nice.

5-foot bridges over gullies/drainage areas (Wortman)

6-kiosk with information, nice scorecards, course overview/map.

7- PUT A PORT-A-JOHN at the turn!! (only in state parks it seems)

These things are nice extras to make a course even better or make it stand out even more.

1-really like the idea of "the white stone" marker at 100'. But only on holes over 350'.

2-practice basket(s) with marked distances

3-something to make the hole/course stand out. Like others have said, color/flowers, artwork, naming the holes or make a signature hole.

On dogleg shots, something to mark the landing zone is nice. I've seen ribbon on trees or small survey stakes used so that you can see the spot you want to hit from the tee. That's not a big thing to locals, but it's a really nice thing for traveling players who don't know the lines yet.

Are there any concerns for brick/paver tees and traction when wet?

I much prefer a more solid/smooth surface, but it the pavers are chosen smartly, laid down professionally, and maintained as needed, then they can make a great pad. Other than getting them to sit flat and stay there, the only problem I can see is that in some environments they can get slippery with micro mold/algae a little moreso than concrete can. Not too hard to fix, but it takes maintenance time and effort. If the pavers are in good/normal condition, then most of them have good wet traction. That does depend a little on the particular paver stone chosen, though.

Latest posts