• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Are The Most Brutal Courses?

Probably been mentioned already, but Kensington Toboggan gave me one of the worst absolute beat downs of my lifetime. We're talking UFC fighter against sleeping toddler, bad.

But man, was it fun. :thmbup:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5194

James Island County Park in Charleston, SC. So not too far from you in Charlotte. You're a lot better at woods golf than I am (understatement) but this was the most brutal course I've ever played. We didn't even want to finish 18, it just wasn't fun.

There's a joke about your username in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to be funny.

Thanks for the suggestion, I got a buddy down there who might want to film it with me.

just played (and reviewed) the new Panther Creek in TN. Wow, it really is insanely brutal but still a ton of fun. It's the kind of beating that makes you reevaluate what you define as tough!

just played (and reviewed) the new Panther Creek in TN. Wow, it really is insanely brutal but still a ton of fun. It's the kind of beating that makes you reevaluate what you define as tough!

Is that the same Panther Creek used in the Tennessee States tournament that resulted in these scores after 4 rounds?
attachment.php

Gotta ask, how tough can it be when these guys average more than one birdie per hole?

It looks like Panther was only used for Round 2. Scores were in the 60's for that course while the other's were in the 40's and 50's.

The Patterson Lake course in Dickinson, ND is pretty famously brutal.

There are a lot of design elements in play. Several of the holes play down tight wooded fairways, and the rough can be very dense. There is also a lot of OB available in the form of roads and walking paths; come tournament time I understand that pretty much all available OB is utilized. Plenty of distance on this course and a good amount of elevation as well. Then there's the lake itself: from water carries to unkind pin placements, it's not uncommon to hear sploosh when you play. On top of all of those hazards and challenges, remember that heavy winds are not uncommon in North Dakota.

Maybe the best demonstration of how brutal this course can be:
There have been 18-hole tournament rounds where a triple digit score rated out above 900.

There's a joke about your username in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to be funny.

Thanks for the suggestion, I got a buddy down there who might want to film it with me.

Ha yeah, that was the idea with my handle. I have a beard and do some work on trees... Got my hometown area code in there too.

That would be awesome to see you play it. Very unforgiving course from what I remember.

Maybe the best demonstration of how brutal this course can be:
There have been 18-hole tournament rounds where a triple digit score rated out above 900.

...trying to wrap my head around that.

Is that the same Panther Creek used in the Tennessee States tournament that resulted in these scores after 4 rounds?
attachment.php

Gotta ask, how tough can it be when these guys average more than one birdie per hole?

OK... So you're saying that great aggregate scores in a 4 course tourney must mean that all 4 courses are easy? Strong comment!

I played Stoney Hill and left humbled and wishing to return as a better player. I don't think David even took me out to the hardest layout. Also some very cool and scenic holes for video.

I played Stoney Hill and left humbled and wishing to return as a better player. I don't think David even took me out to the hardest layout. Also some very cool and scenic holes for video.

It destroys me. Physically and psychologically.

On the one hand, it has enough variety that whatever weakness your game has, you're bound to run into it several times a round.

But it's more a blue-level course, perhaps not so brutal for top-level players. How would I know? Well, certainly not from playing it myself. But I played a round with MJ, and for some reason tricky landing zones seemed huge and easy to hit for him, and the tight twisting fairways seemed to double their width when he was on the tee. Not to mention the scary "death putts" which suddenly seemed to lose their teeth. And judging from tournament scores, other 1000+ players cruise through it pretty well, too.

I think Mike C will find it fun and entertaining and challenging when he eventually visits.....but perhaps not the brutal beating he's looking for here.

OK... So you're saying that great aggregate scores in a 4 course tourney must mean that all 4 courses are easy? Strong comment!

The point is those numbers don't represent a great aggregate score. They represent a silly high par. Or, perhaps a clerical error.

attachment.php

Two of the other courses used have quite a few par 4's that are EASY 3's for the pros, some with runs at 2. There were 50 MPO that played Panther Creek & only 3 broke 60, all 3 with a 59.
The other courses are where they scored easy birdies going by the par stated on the tee signs, long holes that reward guys with big arms.
And also, if you're not familiar with the courses used, Kiwanis used for round 3 is mostly deuce or die holes. Very short holes that a solid pro should have 2 chances on just about all 18.

Last edited:
Nockamixon, PA. 9,200 feet with hundreds of trees in the way and boulders underfoot with nearly every throw so you can't get an X step in. All stand still throws (drives excepted). Brutal...

In my limited experience, Renny Gold is the toughest course, physically, that I've played.
It also got to me mentally because of my limited distance and control.
If you cannot throw a controlled shot ~300', your visit to Renny Gold will be VERY frustrating. It is simply not designed for white-level (low 900's rating) players.
That challenge has been moderated somewhat by Renske, but Renny Gold is not forgiving at all.

But since you've no doubt played both, you know all this.

Latest posts