• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What area produces the best disc golfers?

The mid-west may not produce the best disc golfers but we produce THE best disc golf bags (Mystery Ranch and Grip)! Suck it East and West coasts!! :D

NC has the best talent, but whether or not it produces the best talent is debatable.

the fact that some guys have moved and didn't learn the game where they currently reside is a very valid argument.

though look at it from the other way, what about the areas where top disc golfers are moving to is so intriguing? is the scene in NC or Cali so much more appealing that guys want to move there?

I think it's a combination of climate and scene. Cali certainly offers year round nice weather, and NC has pretty mild winters. And both areas have good competition and top notch courses. Same could be said for Texas and parts of Florida.

The reason the midwest doesn't produce the best players is that it is hard to practice most of your game for half the year. Just like baseball. The best colleges for baseball are all in the South.

A few things to chime in about-

1. From personal experience, California has the toughest AM scene of places I've played...especially NorCal. You can't really say "california" as a whole because it's a huge variance. Also NorCal and SoCal have a friendly rivalry going. However, I digress. California has the benefit of a vastly varied terrain within a relatively small distance, so IMO players from this region are versed in many types of shots. If you make it through that AM scene you're going to be a competitive pro, and 1000-rating doesn't guarantee you even a top 5 finish.

2. I agree with people saying that reside vs. learned game needs to be taken into account. Avery is a great example. He's currently registered in San Francisco, but only because he used my house to get his mail while we were filming in the off-season. He has only played one tournament in California this year (Masters Cup NT).

I'm not sure that people actually move for disc golf unless you're 1020 rated already, it would be interesting to see those stats.

3. Overall, I'm not sure pure PDGA rating is an absolute accurate indicator of talent level. For example, if you have a state which the competitive amateur scene isn't strong, there will be more highly rated rounds because the good players stand out more from the pack. When you have a large group separated by only a couple of strokes, the hot round won't garner as high of a rating.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the rating/propagator system works...which is entirely possible.

Anyway...just my .02

3. Overall, I'm not sure pure PDGA rating is an absolute accurate indicator of talent level. For example, if you have a state which the competitive amateur scene isn't strong, there will be more highly rated rounds because the good players stand out more from the pack. When you have a large group separated by only a couple of strokes, the hot round won't garner as high of a rating.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the rating/propagator system works...which is entirely possible.

I don't think that's true. If the large group is only separated by a couple of strokes, there really isn't a hot round. The number of points per stroke is dependent only on the SSA, not on the scoring spread, so on an SSA 60 course you'll have the same rating for a 50 no matter how many players play or how widely separated their scores are.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if midwest players in bad conditions are playing against other midwest players in bad conditions wouldnt the ratings level out? I'm sure you guys could post better scores in better weather but you're not being compared against guys in better weather.

Correct, but, it's conceivable that if the weather wasn't crappy, they would have better chances to throw better rounds, and possibly be better rated

Correct, but, it's conceivable that if the weather wasn't crappy, they would have better chances to throw better rounds, and possibly be better rated

I don't think you quite understand how the ratings take the weather into account. Unless you play significantly better or worse than the average player in adverse weather, the conditions won't affect your rating.

For 1, in MN where I live we have several players who have been rated 1000+ and are hovering in that area now or just below it. I think the thing that hurts a little at times is not having alot of higher rated players playing all the same events. Higher rated players=higher rated rounds for everyone. I believe we have a few players that in the near future will be 1000+ such as Tom Brenton, Mitch Privette, Chris Hall, Ray Oberley Jr and I am sure a few other young guns as well.

It is tough to play year round in the Mid-West. If you want to make a go at huking professionally, it makes sense to move somewhere warm year round

I don't think that's true. If the large group is only separated by a couple of strokes, there really isn't a hot round. The number of points per stroke is dependent only on the SSA, not on the scoring spread, so on an SSA 60 course you'll have the same rating for a 50 no matter how many players play or how widely separated their scores are.

but isn't SSA derived from player's scores? how does that factor in?

For 1, in MN where I live we have several players who have been rated 1000+ and are hovering in that area now or just below it. I think the thing that hurts a little at times is not having alot of higher rated players playing all the same events. Higher rated players=higher rated rounds for everyone. I believe we have a few players that in the near future will be 1000+ such as Tom Brenton, Mitch Privette, Chris Hall, Ray Oberley Jr and I am sure a few other young guns as well.

:confused: Have I been living a secret double life that even I don't know about where I'm a neer 1000 rated player in MN?

I don't think where you live matters at all. Barry is originally from WI. MN has had some good players with Cale being the current standout. Darrell Nodland was from ND, was 1030+ rated for many years, never really travelled anywhere other than ND, and he took second at the USDGC one year to prove his rating wasn't a fluke. It's all about personal talent and perseverance in my opinion.

but isn't SSA derived from player's scores? how does that factor in?

This is my confusion as well. Not to derail the thread, but could you break it down a bit more mash?

Latest posts