• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What area produces the best disc golfers?

All I'll say is Midwesterners should be better at putting since the great plains always produce stiff 15-35 mph winds on most days.

Maybe in heaven were your from Jesus but were I'm from everyone lays up....or blows by the basket....& gets a Bogey...instead of Par...:wall:

Maybe in heaven were your from Jesus but were I'm from everyone lays up....or blows by the basket....& gets a Bogey...instead of Par...:wall:

I'm from Nebraska and we get some hefty winds. Don't get me wrong most people I know will lay up if it's outside the circle but I also know a handful of people who are phenomenal putters but because of the wind it's 100% spin putts. I'm the only guy I know that push putts and even then it's really a spush putt.

I'm from Nebraska and we get some hefty winds. Don't get me wrong most people I know will lay up if it's outside the circle but I also know a handful of people who are phenomenal putters but because of the wind it's 100% spin putts. I'm the only guy I know that push putts and even then it's really a spush putt.

Yeah I see A LOT of spin putters here in Wisconsin (including myself). A friend of mine from Florida came up to visit me, he's a push putter & was shocked by how many people spin putt b/c of the wind/weather in Wisconsin. He told me that more people push putt in Florida but its still pretty much like 50/50 (spin/push) there (from his observations not stats). I'd love to see a chart comparing putting styles from different areas of the world (doubt one exists though :\).

Yeah I see A LOT of spin putters here in Wisconsin (including myself). A friend of mine from Florida came up to visit me, he's a push putter & was shocked by how many people spin putt b/c of the wind/weather in Wisconsin. He told me that more people push putt in Florida but its still pretty much like 50/50 (spin/push) there (from his observations not stats). I'd love to see a chart comparing putting styles from different areas of the world (doubt one exists though :\).

That would be sick. Also to see a chart on the pros and their styles, as Johnny D says "to see which putting style is most dominant"

I'm going to have to go with the vagina area. I believe almost every disc golfer alive today came from there, except of course Greg Barsby, he came from mixing weapons grade plutonium and grape pop rocks in a petri dish.

Medina Ohio. End of conversation

Ricky Wysocki
Avery
Val
Sharon
Mike sommerfeld
Hershel jones

All have won world titles except rick

I respectfully disagree. Areas with highly skilled players produce highly skilled players much quicker and more frequently than areas with just a few standouts. Players teach each other and push each other in ways that you just can't do on your own island.

^^^ this ^^^

fish can only grow if they move to bigger ponds.

I think that the west coast has a massive advantage with weather being nice all year round. Hell so many people here in DE are just so damn sedentary and soft little pussies for the most part cause we go from brutally hot summers to cold ass winters. So like 4+ months of the year its just to cold or to hot for a lot of people to do outdoor activities so we have tons of fatties. From what I understand the obesity rate is far higher in the east then in the west as well as there is just sooooo many sedentary people that its easy for a high activity place like Cali to own in basically any sport lol.

****ing sad but those are the facts from what I understand. You can't have champions when everyone has obesity and type 2 diabetes...... It seems more people overeat, do drugs whether street or legal and spend time being a couch potato more then they bother with any kind of challenging outdoor activity. Its really sad.

This illustrates my point perfectly. We have cultivated a culture of weak bitch titted pussies....

Last edited:
Pennsylvania has an average rating of 959.8 for 71 registered pros. Three are 1000+.

Kind of sad that even through southwest PA has some great courses, we have never had a 1000 rated player. Currently our highest rated player is just shy of 980. I gotta practice more to take home Worlds in two years for Pittsburgh!

I think the woods and trees in the east hone up shots and putting which are the 2 most important parts of scoring. You can bomb, but if you can't score. Also, it trains creativity. There is not much creative about throwing 550' A flick roller to get yourself through woods 50' to save par is.

Which areas produce the best disc golfers?

The wild card in this analysis is pure athletic talent, which happens when it happens. Talent is not dependent on geography or any other traceable factor, at least not that science has figured out yet.

Beyond talent, 2 other factors are very important:

1. Great courses

2. The presence of other accomplished players

Great courses build great players. Why are there so many great players in North Carolina, for example? In part because the courses there are so damned challenging (thanks to the efforts and influence of Stan McDaniel and others).

If courses do not demand power, control and strategy then players have no need to develop those skills.

It seems to me that 100 random newbies from Charlotte will, on average, become better players than 100 random newbies from an area with only a few pitch and putt courses.

Once an area grows fine courses, over time it will also develop a wealth of fine players. As mentioned in other posts, having good players to learn from and be pushed by makes learning the game easier and faster and raises a player's potential.

We did have 1000 rated player here in Pittsburgh. That would have been Steve kohman. He was 1000 even on his last update in 2000 I believe. Was the best player in town. Finished top 10 at worlds like 6 years in a row in the 90's. Gary was a high 990 in his glory days and red was no slouch in the early 90's before the ratings system. Gary is the 89 am champion. Red 91 masters work champ and 98 grand masters world champ. Man those were fun days.

Kohman still has the course record at knob with a 40. A few of us locals still hold a few course records across the country. Though those records are dwindling.

Not sure great courses build great players. It helps for sure. I think a key to building great players is by having those best local players play competitive rounds with each other as often as possible. You need to constantly have something on the line to get better. Especially if its your pride on the line. I only got better when I got sick of losing all of my money to the other locals over and over.

We did have 1000 rated player here in Pittsburgh. That would have been Steve kohman. He was 1000 even on his last update in 2000 I believe. Was the best player in town. Finished top 10 at worlds like 6 years in a row in the 90's. Gary was a high 990 in his glory days and red was no slouch in the early 90's before the ratings system. Gary is the 89 am champion. Red 91 masters work champ and 98 grand masters world champ. Man those were fun days.

Kohman still has the course record at knob with a 40. A few of us locals still hold a few course records across the country. Though those records are dwindling.

Huh. Did not know that. I didn't really start playing seriously until 2011, so I wasn't around when everyone was awesome.

We have quite a few good players, but no one really great. It would be awesome to get some 1000 rated players who can actually start competing for wins when the big tournaments come to town. It is kind of sad to go play A-tiers around the country where 10% of the advanced field is higher rated than everyone in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Yep, bunch of old-timers around anymore. I used to be the young one in the group. 20 years later, most of us are still playing!!

I remember the other day at Schenley, it was me, Red, Chu and Gary, I think between the 4 of us we had over 125 years of disc golf experience in the group!

Kohman and Gary both were on the original set of discards which were the original disc golf trading card. Think only 30-40 people were in those cards.

NC has the combination of many great courses plus year round high quality sanctioned events. Being able to compete on these challenging courses all year produces great talent. An area with great courses but fewer events won't produce the higher rated Pros. Bowling Green, So Cal and Florida are other good examples of great courses and lots of events.

An interesting question to take from this might be, what about an area makes the best player(s)? Is it already having great players/scene? Something about the nature/availability of courses? Climate (already touched on above,) etc.

With like a dozen really challenging courses in my area, I feel like learning the game here was a mixed blessing, in terms of developing as a player. Lots of frustration, but a more rounded game?

Latest posts