• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What can I do to go from 500' to 600'?

One thing I noticed is the height of your throws. It seems like they die pretty hard at the end. Maybe just a LITTLE bit flatter line will prevent it from dying so hard. The other thing to try is throwing something with just a touch more understability. I'm not talking Eagles/Leopards. I'm talking like a Boss. You're getting the Quasars up to flat, but if you can push them just a hair over into that S-curve, you won't sacrifice the control and you'll get a little more distance.

Kachtz throws his longest drives with a beat up 165 pro destroyer. Prerube and I have witnessed a few 550+ throws on flat land and little wind. Anything longer requires catching the disc in some high tailwinds and getting lucky the disc will hook up and flex back.

here's the vid of Jussi and Avery in the desert throwing max distance competition style:
Avery helped Kachtz with his technique a little this past competition.

Broke 500' my first time with a Roadrunner roller (Field was 520' long and it smashed the fence with plenty of steam) but I'm not as consistent with them and my course often has long grass. I will practice some today though,used to throw them a lot more than I do now.

So are the top distance pros throwing 500' golf lines with consistency? I'm just wondering what the "limit" seems to be for controlled D on the course. I'm not interested in what someone can do with a 150g Blizzard in a 45mph tailwind for example.

BLKwizardsonny, those weren't just raw D shots, they were also for placement. In that last shot, I was at least 100' behind the 400'+ long tee for the basket I was throwing at. Its further than 390'.

for me, the longest golf throws occur from my furthest reach back, the fastest pull through, and perfect timing. If even a single one of these is .1% off my distance drops off at a quick rate.

I also notice i lose substantial distance when i have too long or short of a final step on my x-step. Sometimes i get excited to throw far, and i take too large of a final step and lose power.

Another thing i've noticed recently, due to an injury, is your lower back and abs are very important. My distance has dropped a ton in the last month since i hurt my back and haven't been able to work out my abs/lower back at all. I can't get full turn and my pull through is much slower than on my better throws.

From what I've seen, 525-540'' is about the limit of consistent golf distance. And even that is beyond the majority of pros. I've seen GG do it in person, repetitively.(hell, his was even uphill...so i guess it could be longer) I know it is beyond me. I have to use pure distance lines to reach that territory. I would venture the top pros are consistent in the 450-475' range. can push to 500' with losing a little accuracy, and all but the biggest arms lose substantial accuracy after 500'.

Feldberg talked in an "in the bag" he had a 450' hyzer disc, and i've heard others say similar things in the 450' range for big hyzers.

^^^ pretty sure he was talking about the giant. 450' is super far to throw on a pure hyzer, i wonder if he's hyzering the entire way or throwing a bit of a fade shot.

Wow man. I'm impressed. I wish I knew what to tell you.

I do good to get 440ft with my 5' 8" 140lb frame. lol

I do use a 4 step throw,maybe that could help get 30 more feet?

Well, I might have to head to DGR and really work on my form. I have gotten 450 before (consistently for a while, but no longer). I had a bad day of field work today and just feel like that distance is out of my grasp anymore. Only twice have I gotten past 500 and one was a roller. Then other was helped by the wind. I have been having a tough time with keeping my form nice and tight and consistent. I am way too streaky. I do like the threads on form though. Always informative. Best of luck to you Mike, and Hammer, keep crushing those Arizona hyzers =p

One thing I've learned, forum d and actual game d are 2 different things. lol..

From looking at your vid, imo your run up / x step are the areas to concentrate on. Right now I bet you could throw 350+ standing still.

My only experience in watching the top pros is at the Hambrick Memorial in Columbus the last couple of years. #18 is the most wide open hole on the course for cutting loose and bombing it - 542' and slightly uphill with only an OB road along the right side. I watched Wysocki, McBeth, Koling, Feldberg, Schusterick, etc. play this hole several times over the last 2 years and I never saw any of them come close to reaching the basket. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it certainly isn't a requirement to be able to park such a long hole.

In fact, Wysocki's last drive on #18 in this year's tournament is a good sample - he was trailing Koling by exactly one throw going into the final hole. His only real chance of catching Koling was to make a miracle 2, so he definitely was going for max D. I'd estimate that he was about ~100' shy of the basket.

I saw Tyler Horne put one up by the trees to the left (3 small) on hole 18 with little fade just about two weeks ago (it was getting dark so it was hard to see). I regularly drive 10'-20' past the second telephone pole in front of the short pad from the longs. It's about 410' according to Google maps. I regularly hit 450' on flat land and based on landmarks my best throw hit a fence at 494' out. Hole 18 robs distance so sneakily. Especially after the second telephone pole where the incline is oh so slightly more.

If you want to challenge me, I'd love to throw a round in the Columbus, OH area.

And Mike, something I just started playing with after watching the Wiggins in Japan video was working massive what looks to be nose up hyzers that actually just turn and are nose down at the apex so they haul out there with a fade at the end. Personally I've hit a wall doing this because I'm still throwing them too high. They could work as golf lines because they do seem to be more predictable than not. These throws have been getting a similar, but quieter version of Wiggins' massive pop. The flight almost has me wondering if these throws are based on throwing intentionally off-plane to achieve the height and amount of turn.

I wouldn't worry about it. How many holes do you play that are 600 ft.? Spend the time on putting instead.

I saw Tyler Horne put one up by the trees to the left (3 small) on hole 18 with little fade just about two weeks ago (it was getting dark so it was hard to see). I regularly drive 10'-20' past the second telephone pole in front of the short pad from the longs. It's about 410' according to Google maps. I regularly hit 450' on flat land and based on landmarks my best throw hit a fence at 494' out. Hole 18 robs distance so sneakily. Especially after the second telephone pole where the incline is oh so slightly more.

If you want to challenge me, I'd love to throw a round in the Columbus, OH area.

And Mike, something I just started playing with after watching the Wiggins in Japan video was working massive what looks to be nose up hyzers that actually just turn and are nose down at the apex so they haul out there with a fade at the end. Personally I've hit a wall doing this because I'm still throwing them too high. They could work as golf lines because they do seem to be more predictable than not. These throws have been getting a similar, but quieter version of Wiggins' massive pop. The flight almost has me wondering if these throws are based on throwing intentionally off-plane to achieve the height and amount of turn.

That hole is uphill and plays more like 600 + though.

tl;dr

I would suggesting posting to as many different forums as possible. Eventually your Forum D will break 700'. It looks like it already increased 50' in the first post :) jk

Wasn't Ian Hovey able to throw 550-600 feet on average? I remember watching a youtube video where he parked a 550 foot hole.

hovey def could bomb 550(sometimes 600). but he was extremely aggressive he would ignore OB and just go for the duece. If he was on his game it was insane but if off he would be way OB or a country mile from the basket. u know throw a line that is OB from the start and comes back in bounds at 525 well if it doesn't come back you are still 500 feet out!!!

I've seen an ad on the interwebz that claims to add inches when rubbed on... so, logic states that if you were to rub on a whole bunch you'd have to gain length.... that's just common sense. But please, no videos.

I need to find a 472' wide warehouse :|

We've got an indoor football field here with a track around it. Also an extra area around the whole thing. I'll try to measure it out tomorrow. 470+ might be just outside though. I know that from one goal line to the far wall is 375 but I'll have to see how much room is behind that point.

Might have to go corner to corner.