• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What can I do to go from 500' to 600'?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Besides a nice tailwind :)

Basically I'm wondering what form tweaks I could try working on to go from 450-500' golf D to 575-600' golf D.

Off the top of my head I was thinking of trying to iron out the timing of my reach back / pull through / hit acceleration. Maybe trying turning my hips and shoulders later...I feel like I turnthem way too early.

Hmm, what else?

right with you man, i feel like i've hit a wall. i've been trying out the spin throw the last couple of weeks and I can get more D but it'll never work on the course.

the run up is probably the key to going farther, i have a compact xstep as well. though when i try to get more momentum my form breaks down and my angles get off.

i've seen two guys throw 600 and they were freaks! tall one 6 foot 1 the other 6 foot 6. and they were all fast twitch muscle so the throws were just so fast and buttery smooth(no effort at least it seemed). I think you could get your run-up/ hop step faster and your hip more into the throw. honestly hard to tell from the throw. more video in the field would probably help. also try some distance throws with three and two fingers see how that works. You are way ahead of most and probably need to throw sky rollers if there are a few 600+ holes that would probably be the best solution for the duece.

I'm in this same boat. 485' is about my top golf d. I've broken 500' just a few times. I get to throw a couple rounds with Wiggins next week, so I'll post whatever pointers I get from him. He knows a few things about throwing far. :)

I don't even break 300, but good luck w/your quest Mike. If you figure it out, make sure to make some videos about it :)

Im pretty sure u dont need 600ft to win in open (or any other division). Dont fix it if it isnt broke

Im pretty sure u dont need 600ft to win in open (or any other division). Dont fix it if it isnt broke

Call me crazy, but if I could throw 400' regularly, and hit 450-500' often, I'd be playing Open too. It seems you could actually win some money at this game Mike. Maybe concentrate on that instead.

(Then again, maybe you just like chucking frisbees, making videos, and don't want to deal with all that tournament baloney. What do I know)

Want to gain another 100'? Talk to Blake over on DGR. That's not to take anything away from the big arms here. I know there are people here that can help you, but you'll have to wade through the post count builders to find them.

X-Step and timing and flexibility and overall athleticism is what everybody needs.

SHusterick and McBeth and Wiggins are throwing far because their lower backs are healthy and strong, and their joints are young and resilient. OBviously form is needed, but that's the easy part.

The truth is is that this is the reason why and it's how it's done.... look at Shusterick, he's as skinny as he could be almost. It's not any more strength than any typical male has, it's a flexible and strong lower back, and good biomechanical undersstanding.

Self-improvement is a lot more addicting than tournament play for a lot of people.

this... i can't speak for mike but the reason i can chuck a disc pretty far is because i never hit a mark and was satisified.

Call me crazy, but if I could throw 400' regularly, and hit 450-500' often, I'd be playing Open too. It seems you could actually win some money at this game Mike. Maybe concentrate on that instead.

I can throw 400' and max out at an occasional 450' and play MA1 in GA and will play MA2 if my rating allows in other states (I hover 925 - 935).

Drive for show, putt for dough ... and Mike C does both.

Latest posts