• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What companies have you not given a fair chance and why not?

First off, let me say that I think we're lucky to be in a time where we have so many options. Back in the day the only choices I had were Innova and Discraft, and I refused to throw Discraft because their flight ratings were hard to understand, and their tye-dyed plastic was not as pretty as Innova's. :rolleyes: Yep, I was a bit of a chucker in college. :eek:

Salient - Because Kilgus
I think that's a perfectly good reason not to throw their crap. Plus half of it is made in China out of god only knows what.

A while back I made a choice to only throw discs made in the USA, so I'll never try Yikun.

Prodigy: They haven't exactly changed the game. All the hype, but they haven't delivered anything other than the same discs that everyone

UB: The Procul felt like crap in my hand so I haven't given them another chance. Plus they don't seem to reliable.

Companies I've tried, but won't waste time with again.

Trilogy: I've thrown both Westside and Lat, but didn't like anything but the Sword, and there are plenty of similar discs out there that are made stateside. Even if they were made over here I wouldn't throw them, because of their fake "team" of fanboys. And while I agree that MVP has some obnoxious, over the top fans, Lat people are worse.

Gateway: I threw the "legendary" Wizard. It was nice, but I had Aviars and VP's that I'd clicked with already. I gave my "Lotion" stamped Wizard to a friend who hit an ace with it, and have never felt the need to replace it.

I'm not against throwing other brands, but at this stage of things a company is going to have to do something unusual to get a chance in my bag. I added Discraft to my all Innova setup to try the Buzzz, and they've taken over my mids. I added MVP to see if there was anything to their claims, and liked their discs, so they've carved a niche. Finally, I added Vibram for the uniqueness of the material. I only throw the VP at the moment, but it's spot is secure. If I can't fill an open slot in my bag from those 4 companies, I'd be shocked. But again, if someone comes along with something unique, I'll consider it.

Most of them. Like so many other things, so many discs, so little time. I don't have the time, cash, or inclination really. Every once in awhile I'll try something new. For example I've got an order for a Truth coming.

Throw what you like, I get it, but we are in a disc golden age and unless your game is exactly where you want it to be you are doing yourself a disservice by not at least trying some of the new stuff.
Did you mean to post this in the Team Trillogy thread? :D

I haven't tried any trilogy stuff and here's why... when I watch the in the bags of the trilogy pros, I'm always baffled by the massive number of different molds they carry. For example...

McCabe - 16 molds, 22 discs (referred to his bag as "pretty simple")
McCall - 18 molds, 27 discs
Feldberg - 17 molds, 26 discs
Blazek - 19 molds, 26 discs

Those are the only ones I could sit through... I know there are other trilogy ITBs that also have a jillion different molds. What's the deal with that?

Everyone is always talking about reducing the number of molds you carry and having several of the same disc in different stages of wear (a philosophy that I completely subscribe to btw), but all of the trilogy players seem to do the complete opposite... tons of different molds with only one or two of each. Why is that? It honestly makes me wonder if the trilogy plastic doesn't break in very well...?

Something about it sets off alarm bells for me and has steered me away from sampling any trilogy gear...

Not tried any because of ITB videos? Wow, that is pretty darn strange.

Is it? Isn't that what ITBs are for, to have top players explain the discs that they use and what they do to those who might be interested in trying them out?

Is it? Isn't that what ITBs are for, to have top players explain the discs that they use and what they do to those who might be interested in trying them out?

And selling discs. I would not want my pros to only throw 5 of my 20 molds. But back to this-I don't see how that affects your decision to try or not try.

And selling discs. I would not want my pros to only throw 5 of my 20 molds. But back to this-I don't see how that affects your decision to try or not try.

I explained that in my original post :doh:

If it takes twice the molds for him to have the same game as he did with half that at Discraft, that would tell me that the Lat Group's molds aren't very versatile. Versatility is what I want from a mold. You might want to learn 20 different molds, but I don't care to.

^I get it. A dedicated base-line cycler won't really want to wrap their head around using more durable and multiple molds to cover the same shots. To each his own.

McCabe might eventually have fewer molds when the more durable plastics start to break in. Although, he could also have an interest in pushing the new product that differs from his DC deal.

And maybe he also doesn't fear change.

^I get it. A dedicated base-line cycler won't really want to wrap their head around using more durable and multiple molds to cover the same shots. To each his own.

The only molds I carry in baseline by choice are ones that don't season very quickly (Roc and Rhyno). Once I get an Icon Patriot and S-Line PD to the point where my Excel and P-Lines are they're gone. I use PLH differences to my advantage. Try again.

I also don't know of any manufacturer that requires their pros to throw more molds than they want. EMac's bag at Discraft was relatively simple, and he won Worlds with it. The fact that he's carrying all those molds when even Feldberg has started streamlining tells me he doesn't have nearly as much faith in the Lat Group molds' versatility.

Last edited:
It's personal preference. I prefer many different molds. Partially because I like buying new things and trying them, partially because I'm too impatient to cycle plastic, and partially because I really don't think changing my grip slightly between a Buzzz and a Theory is that big a deal, and it's easier to do that than to beat a Buzzz into slightly US.

But I get where the cyclers are coming from. It would be cool to know my discs well enough, and to have the time, to cycle. But I play for fun, and don't practice much, so cycling would take me forever.

It's not for me, but to each his own.

And maybe he also doesn't fear change.

That is one of the stupidest things I've heard in awhile. Why learn more molds, which takes more time, and gives less time to hone your game, when you could start off with a fresh KC Pro Roc that is your OS mid, and by the time it's your flippy mid you have more throws on it than any other disc in your bag, thus you KNOW it better than any disc in your bag. Now you KNOW this disc and you've not had to spend a stupid amount of time learning it for one purpose, but you learned it throughout it's life cycle and had many different uses for it. The stability slowly changes which forces you to LEARN it.

Of course we can "wrap our heads" around it, it just doesn't make as much sense to me.

Nobody here is "Fearful" of change. I'm fearful of inconsistency. Throwing the same exact disc for multiple lines breeds consistency, period.

Some people just play around for fun, and that's fine, so multiple molds are sufficient. I would rather cycle, and I think it's the most consistent approach.

Last edited:
That is one of the stupidest things I've heard in awhile. Why learn more molds, which takes more time, and gives less time to hone your game, when you could start off with a fresh KC Pro Roc that is your OS mid, and by the time it's your flippy mid you have more throws on it than any other disc in your bag, thus you KNOW it better than any disc in your bag. Now you KNOW this disc and you've not had to spend a stupid amount of time learning it for one purpose, but you learned it throughout it's life cycle and had many different uses for it. The stability slowly changes which forces you to LEARN it.

Nobody here is "Fearful" of change. I'm fearful of inconsistency. Throwing the same exact disc for multiple lines breeds consistency, period.

Learning molds is easy. Watching molds change fast sucks.

I'm sure there are equivalents to what I throw now (discraft, innova, discmania) that'll work just as well in other brands, but I'm just not going to give other companies a fair chance anymore.

It took a lot of work/trial and error just to get comfortable with what I have now (which is only 8molds anyway). Its counterintuitive now to try to introduce new discs.

I did try out a ton of other brands though, I was the annoying newbie on the course who would ask after every shot: "what disc was that? what does it do? what's is equivalent in discraft/innova?" and then ask if I could throw anything that wasn't mine during warmups/after round practice.

I can see why MVP putters are popular (the Ion is like a flatter/softer KC Pro Aviar with a grippy overmold that catches chains), and the Wizard is a wonderful putter, or the Truth is so loved, because I've tried throwing them and was impressed. But nothing was so much better that I had to switch on the spot.

I'm totally weary about the "guy" who will say "you have to switch to this vibram/prodigy/innova/insert brand here! It'll improve your game!" because seeing the great players on the course I know now that its practice, proper shot/disc selection, and execution over the brand of disc.

I'm willing to try any disc that may fit my needs. I bag five different manufacturers; Axiom, Discraft, Latitude, Legacy and Innova. I added a Envy on the recommendation for a overstable compliment to my Pure. And then a Patriot as a slightly faster replacement for my Leopard. Both were home runs.

Legacy. Just seems like none of the molds would bring anything to the table that I don't already have.

blasphemy .. pure straight out blasphemy!! i kid, i kid :p:p .. for what its worth i was a 90% innova guy for the past few years.. threw/cycled rocs, teebirds, aviars, leopards, etc. and i have had such a blast replacing them with Legacy molds.. it was so easy to switch which honestly a big shock but been throwing all legacy (other then zone/fb) since last Feb. and loving every minute of it :)

Last edited:

Of course we can "wrap our heads" around it, it just doesn't make as much sense to me.

Some people just play around for fun, and that's fine, so multiple molds are sufficient. I would rather cycle, and I think it's the most consistent approach.

So, breaking in one mold to three different stabilities takes less time than bagging 3 similar molds that already vary some in stability right off the shelf? OK. And if you need that slow break-in period to learn different discs/stabilities, maybe you should work on your practice routine/philosophy.

FYI, wrapping one's head around something means that it makes sense to them. It's the same thing.

But, thanks for the education, Arkansas. .

The only molds I carry in baseline by choice are ones that don't season very quickly (Roc and Rhyno). Once I get an Icon Patriot and S-Line PD to the point where my Excel and P-Lines are they're gone. I use PLH differences to my advantage. Try again.

I also don't know of any manufacturer that requires their pros to throw more molds than they want. EMac's bag at Discraft was relatively simple, and he won Worlds with it. The fact that he's carrying all those molds when even Feldberg has started streamlining tells me he doesn't have nearly as much faith in the Lat Group molds' versatility.

Jeez, why are you getting pi**y?

I fail to see how carrying 3 rocs is much if any different than carrying Comet/Buzzz/Wasp. It's just a preference thing. Who cares? I was trying to defend the guy for saying that he didn't want to mess with Trilogy because the ITBs led him to believe their discs don't lend themselves to cycling.

Also, I didn't come close to saying that Emac is being 'forced' to bag any molds. I was just saying that MAYBE his deal with them incentivizes him to promote sales in a more concrete way.

Latest posts