• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What companies have you not given a fair chance and why not?

So, breaking in one mold to three different stabilities takes less time than bagging 3 similar molds that already vary some in stability right off the shelf? OK. And if you need that slow break-in period to learn different discs/stabilities, maybe you should work on your practice routine/philosophy.

FYI, wrapping one's head around something means that it makes sense to them. It's the same thing.

But, thanks for the education, Arkansas. .

It's not as simple as sticking the different molds in your bag, einstein. You still have to practice with and learn them before you are comfortable with them, and in the same amount of time you could have the same disc exactly working multiple lines. I would rather work the same mold on different lines because that CLEARLY breeds consistently.

If you don't want to wrap YOUR head around that, then you don't have to.

My location on the map doesn't correlate to my intelligence, but nice try. You're not worth wasting my time on.

The cycle vs multiple mold discussion has happened over and over again. It's a preference thing, some people like to get more life out of a disc by cycling it, others prefer to cover all their shots with a fresh-out-of-the-box setup. Most experienced players do a mix of both.

There is no right or wrong. Both have their pros and cons.

If a cycler doesn't want to try a brand because he sees that none of the pros are cycling the way he would like, that actually seems like a pretty valid reason for avoiding a brand.

D
The cycle vs multiple mold discussion has happened over and over again. It's a preference thing, some people like to get more life out of a disc by cycling it, others prefer to cover all their shots with a fresh-out-of-the-box setup. Most experienced players do a mix of both.

If a cycler doesn't want to try a brand because he sees that none of the pros are cycling the way he would like, that actually seems like a pretty valid reason for avoiding a brand.

Thank you, bradharris!

This thread isn't about arguing over HOW people set up their bags, it's about WHY they do so...and not even that, more why someone hasn't tried a particular brand. No reason to get into a pissing match because someone hasn't tried a brand you like. You don't own the company. Who cares?

There are so many brands and new discs, familiar is nice.

That said I never gave a lot of innova stuff a fair chance because I was content with my discraft/gateway discs.

I have liked some molds by innova, and have bagged some on and off but some consistancy issues early on (when I was throwing about all innova due to availability) turned me off of them. That and it was unique of me in my area to have been throwing discraft. A lot of people are shocked that I have never owned a Destroyer (when they are a great speed/stability match for my game). I was happy enough with my bag of Forces.

I have bagged Rhynos and rocs recently. I used to throw teebird, orcs, and CFR wraiths a ton. Then I got some crappy DX Teebirds, the Champ wraith didn't come out soon enough and wasnt the same. And the orc beats in funny in all plastics even champ. . . I quicky switched to X-Preds, Avengers and a surge for the same roles.

I have hardly touched any prodigy, although a few molds (if I can keep them straight) have appealed to me) and havent thrown much DD although I always loved DD as a company before they made discs, I just haven't needed anything from them yet.

The Verdict and Shark3 are competing for a slot in my bag now. Both could easily fill the role, but I am not sure I need either.

Which is all I was trying to say, though maybe I botched that.

I didn't say that cycling was faster!!

I said I prefer to throw multiples of the same mold due to consistency's sake.

Well, you did say something about wasting time, but I wasn't really paying attention at that point.

But fair enough, keep on Roc-in'.

Well, you did say something about wasting time, but I wasn't really paying attention at that point.

But fair enough, keep on Roc-in'.

I'm done arguing about it. As stated, they both work and both methods are used by many top level pros.

Carry on..

I can't believe it took 27 hours for this thread to start it's landslide. Step up your game, DGCR.

Considering this thread is about personal preference, I'm not sure all the dong waving is getting anybody anywhere.

Can we just keep this on topic, for once?

Another killer for me and Legacy is the $3-4 premium over Innova/DC's pretty standard price model. I was thinking about checking out a Bandit today as a Valk substitute/good pairing with PD. The price is too high if I don't like it and the prospect is even worse if it turns out to be a great disc.

I'd like to see these guys start moving plastic in volumes big enough to lower their costs. A lot of shops and mfg's I'm sure would love to see standard $18/$20 premium plastic prices, and $15 baseline/putters. I can think of one shop that is currently charging $22 for some Trilogy/Legacy/MVP blends.

I think emotion is part of what we do - I fell in love with Lat 64, then Westside. I love the plastic, the molds, the goofy names and art. Dynamic is next on the list, seeing they are all made in Sweden.

The results follow the feeling - if I didn't get the results I wanted, I'd have moved on.

MVP seems to have a strong following of lovers on these boards that should understand how it works.

I've been playing for 5 years and have thrown allot of different brands. Besides trying out the comet and buzz early on I've never really given discraft much love. Maybe its because discraft isn't very big in Texas. Discraft doesn't get allot of love on these boards as well so I never see a thread that excites me enough to try one.

Also I don't see much Vibram in Dallas. I've never thrown anything by them. If I ever see a used vibram putter at my local store I would prob give it a test drive.

I do not think a "lack of availability" is = "not giving a fair chance." I think we sometimes MIGHT dodge locales where discs we don't want are offered as much or more as the ones we seek. Ironically scotNT73, I do not find a lack of DC, but I guess it depends on where you are in Texas. If your town has a Hastings - Discraft will get as much love (if not more) as Innova. Similar story with Academy but they carry a smattering of Millenium, a decent amount of DC, and the requisite overabundance of Innova. Truthfully the only places where I run into singularly Innova products are Wal-Marts or shops that have only recently begun carrying discs.

When I started the only real putter readily available was the Aviar P&A. Still have ol' Chains, but my next putter was an Omega AP. Same mold/better plastic. At which point I left Innova. My drivers were 'Clones ('=X-/Cy) and my putters doubled for mid-ranges for a Loooong Time. But I basically threw either Discraft or Millenium with a Viper/Shark from the 94/95 World's Biggest Weekends in case I didn't want to expose my beloved CLONES.

I have bought a few Innova discs over the years: The Wahoo/Dragon/Hydra combo as well as a Blizzard Ape are in my bag to this day, primarily because of the amount of H2O on the local courses. I have a Champion Boss that I (sky) flick for one particular shot, and I have a 139g Starlite Tern that I keep for an US shot in favorable winds (which means not much). Otherwise my bag is Discraft to this day: the X-Clones are gone ;^( but I am trying to get back to my Cyclone roots for the fairways.

If you want a biased stupid reason to not buy a disc -

My first disc was a P-38. I have NEVER bought another Lightning disc because I loved the thought of having "Squadron" full of the warplane names - but couldn't find any of them until they ultimately changed the names. "#2 Hyzer" doesn't do as much for me.

Another killer for me and Legacy is the $3-4 premium over Innova/DC's pretty standard price model. I was thinking about checking out a Bandit today as a Valk substitute/good pairing with PD. The price is too high if I don't like it and the prospect is even worse if it turns out to be a great disc.

I'd like to see these guys start moving plastic in volumes big enough to lower their costs. A lot of shops and mfg's I'm sure would love to see standard $18/$20 premium plastic prices, and $15 baseline/putters. I can think of one shop that is currently charging $22 for some Trilogy/Legacy/MVP blends.

Retailers need to make money. Its not really manufactures who need to lower costs. Prices will continue to go up for premium plastics as other manufactures set a minimum list price. There are 10 year old discs out there flying -- i think $20 for one isnt a bad deal at all.

Retailers need to make money. Its not really manufactures who need to lower costs. Prices will continue to go up for premium plastics as other manufactures set a minimum list price. There are 10 year old discs out there flying -- i think $20 for one isnt a bad deal at all.

I agree with most of this. Yes, retailers need to make money for obvious reasons and I think over the long haul, $20 is a great investment on a disc that one throws for years, but, I don't think too many discs now a days get thrown for years by the same person. Too much eye candy and plastic addiction keep many from ever really learning a disc. But that's always been true for any equipment oriented sport.

I'm not sure though about the price of premium plastic going up. You might be right, but there is the law of supply and demand and right now, it seems like supply is out pacing demand or may be peeking (Yes, there's the new disc limited number craze but that's a drop in the bucket to the overall quantity out there). It seems like there are a lot of new companies and way more discs on the market than the game can support. I wonder how many companies will be around in ten years, but I would assume prices will drop before some start throwing the towel in.

I'll admit, new discs are cool! I went on a Swedish/Trilogy disc binge a few years ago. But that phase passed and all I have left Is a couple of Suspects, a Judge and an Escape and when the Escape becomes too worn, I probably won't replace it. Nothing wrong with the discs I threw, they just didn't end up fitting my game. So with that and Trilogy's Spokes-people kind of irritating me, I don't see myself returning anytime soon. But hey, I gave them a shot.

I really only throw innova. Back in the day I had a couple avengers I found no named in the water and played with. Also used a flick when I lost my firebird. Discraft make good discs I just like innova for whatever reason. And I putted with wizards for a long time.

No other companies have ever even touched my bag. Thought about doing the legacy thing. But they didn't make the ghost and rival in a pro plastic (guess ghost in gravity is pro but wanted protege).

I've thrown MVP and axiom. Wasn't that big of a fan. I threw a scale. It was good but I like to stick to one company. I threw a west side tursas I found no name. Seemed like a really nice under stable but I have broken in atlas and I like flat. I've thrown a rubber putter idk even know who makes it. It was blah. I've thrown the honey as well

For me it's probably Legacy, especially now that there's a local shop that's into their lineup and stocks them.

I've felt some up and love the plastic, but sheer laziness keeps me from dabbling. All the talk about needing this color/this run vs. that color/that run...it's a turn off for me. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I accept that no company's going to put out identical discs over and over and over, it just seems a bit extreme in Legacy's case. And that's not meant as hate. I think the company is embracing run to run differences which is refreshing in a way. Just not something I want to get into.

Of the myriad of fanboys out there I find Innova fanboys the most annoying... like Yankee fan levels of annoying.