• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What disc do you love but nobody else does?

Like 3/4 my bag.. 300 PA1, prod Zone, proline Quake, 300 F3, opto Trident, diamond Spirit.

The one that gets talked about the most of those would be the 300 PA1 but I don't play with any players who like them. I feel like most of these discs are just ones that people haven't tried and that is why they can't like them.

Dont know if its hated, but these 2 discs I dont find a lot of people throwing them.

Justice and River

Justice is a good one. I really like it when something just has to drop and stop.

Sparkle Enemy
It has the Champ Firebird flight but with nicer feeling plastic.

750 A4
I never hear about anybody with an A4.
Flat, glideless, dumpy, easy to forehand, doesn't skip, flat sided rim for ground trick shots.

Opto Saint Pro
Long straight to turnover. Don't need a run up to get it up to speed.

Opto Fury
ROLLER!!!

F1
Ever wonder what the offspring of a Firebird and a TeeBird would be? It's an F1.

The MVP Switch... I love mine by accident played a 3 Disc round at my place with a Envy a Whitler and a Switch... on a whim.. due to limited options I threw it for every drive and it stole the Relay spot. Every time I express love for it I get shot down :(

Haha don't blame em I hated it when I got it too didn't do what I thought it would but turns out it's awesome in a different way.

I just ordered a Stego.....what should I expect compared to the Justice for trouble approach shots?

It's slower, and harder to throw far. I can hit 350 on a slight flex with the Justice and a Stego despite my best efforts I can't get over 275.

It also fades a bit less. The Justice for me usually fades about 15-20 feet or more when thrown flat, maybe as much as 30 with a skip. The Stego dives thowards the ground so hard, that it barely fades 10-15 feet and doesn't usually skip or skitter much. Unless you ordered a new Armor one, they skitter a bit more.

Basically unless you throw it on a 90 degree angle pretty hard, the Stego will fight out of any angle.

I just love crazy discs because they can be very very useful at times. I maybe bag 8 but will test the Stego. The Justice nailed some long hyzer putts for me and always skids a yard then sits

Torrent. I've bagged one for years. Great driver. Similar to a Nuke, but maybe a tad less stable.

I never see or hear about Torrents.

If you've ever thought, "the best disc for this shot is a manhole cover," you'll like the Stego.

I have thought that before and threw the Stego and it worked. My favorite thing to do is to hand a Stego to someone with a cannon attached to their shoulder and tell them to throw it as hard as they can on a BH roller angle. Watching it dump out and go 250' and 60' left is something that I just never stop laughing at.

Back on thread: I throw a bunch of unusual stuff. DGA Breaker and Orc are the two that I don't really see in other people's bags at all, but I also like to mix it up with a Z Flash or Big Z Reaper just to have people say "what was that disc".

I have thought that before and threw the Stego and it worked. My favorite thing to do is to hand a Stego to someone with a cannon attached to their shoulder and tell them to throw it as hard as they can on a BH roller angle. Watching it dump out and go 250' and 60' left is something that I just never stop laughing at.

Back on thread: I throw a bunch of unusual stuff. DGA Breaker and Orc are the two that I don't really see in other people's bags at all, but I also like to mix it up with a Z Flash or Big Z Reaper just to have people say "what was that disc".

Once upon a time (2004-2005) both of these were in EVERYONE'S bags. Orcs and Flashes were about the fastest, longest driver on the market. They're still viable drivers today, but I agree you don't see a lot of them anymore.

The Reaper was never overly popular, but I remember seeing some of them in about the same time frame.

The Reaper was underrated kinda like a Banshee and I know guys that still throw Orcs the Flash I feel is rarer.

Probably the real surprise in my bag is a Star Beast. I found one a couple years ago and was surprised by how useful it is for me. In 175g Star, with a little dome, it's got enough high speed stability to be useful forehand. The glide is also awesome, making it useful for hyzers that I want to travel fairly far laterally. It's surprisingly susceptible to even slight headwinds and crosswinds, but as long as I avoid those it's great. I've since acquired a few more, and there are definitely some duds out there. But I think it's a surprisingly good mold, and speed 10 is probably about right for my arm speed backhand, and allows some touch forehand.

re: duds

is it possible you have both some beast-Ls and beast-Xs?

I use a SERPENT a lot and nobody else has even heard of it. I trust and love the ALIAS a ton and barely anyone around here has heard of it. I wouldn't say these are discs people don't like, just ones people aren't aware of.

Also the INSANITY

Our bags must look pretty similar. My main driver is an insanity, my go to mid is my alias.

Other discs I throw that don't seem to get a ton of mainstream love: wrath, crave, matrix, particle, anode.

re: duds

is it possible you have both some beast-Ls and beast-Xs?

I'd say yes it's possible, but I'm not sure they make both in Star. I know champ and DX have both available?

I stopped trying to figure out the Beast mold mystery. I ought to photo them side by side to double check wing profile, but overall I've found dome to be pretty reliable, so I stick with that.

My operating theory is that the Stars are predominantly (maybe exclusively?) L molds, and that I just have to admit I don't have the arm to make the X behave. Either way, I'm convinced that some added overstability from heavy premium plastic is helping me, and I love that Beast glide.

The Reaper was underrated kinda like a Banshee and I know guys that still throw Orcs the Flash I feel is rarer.

You won't see Flashes now, but in 2005-2006 they were huge. At the time the Orc and Flash were the 2 fastest, longest flying drivers on the market. Once the Wraith came out they both got left in the dust.

Personally I thought the Flash was a little longer and flippier than the Orc. I bagged both at one time. Speed 10 is simply one of those overlooked driver classes. You don't see many of them around from any manufacturer.

You won't see Flashes now, but in 2005-2006 they were huge. At the time the Orc and Flash were the 2 fastest, longest flying drivers on the market. Once the Wraith came out they both got left in the dust.

Personally I thought the Flash was a little longer and flippier than the Orc. I bagged both at one time. Speed 10 is simply one of those overlooked driver classes. You don't see many of them around from any manufacturer.

Speed 10 is not so much overlooked, but (as you said) left in the dust by the Wraith and other higher speed molds.

Also, taking flight numbers with appropriate grains of salt, it seems that the odd number speeds are prevalent... Speed 5 mids are dominant, speed 6 sorta skipped over, speed 7 chock-full of great molds, speed 8 skipped over, speed 9 full of great molds, speed 10 ignored, speed 11 and up being high speed drivers...

So yeah, the Orc, Beast, Starfire, SL, Monster, etc., are between the popular fairways and popular high speed drivers, and are now treated like red headed stepchildren..

Speed 10 is not so much overlooked, but (as you said) left in the dust by the Wraith and other higher speed molds.

Also, taking flight numbers with appropriate grains of salt, it seems that the odd number speeds are prevalent... Speed 5 mids are dominant, speed 6 sorta skipped over, speed 7 chock-full of great molds, speed 8 skipped over, speed 9 full of great molds, speed 10 ignored, speed 11 and up being high speed drivers...

So yeah, the Orc, Beast, Starfire, SL, Monster, etc., are between the popular fairways and popular high speed drivers, and are now treated like red headed stepchildren..

Not really, I know players who are older or less arm speed players that want a Destroyer like disc but not in a Destroyer speed, this was in the late 2000's and early 2010's these guys used Orc and Wraith as their discs. I know a cousin uses a Surge as his main distance driver.

Even I never got past the Valkyrie 9 speed for a Driver until 2014 when I got the Champion Destroyer, year I first saw the Champion Destroyer. I never liked how the dome on the Star Destroyer was so different from disc to disc in dome height. The Champion discs seemed to have less change from disc to disc in dome height and most Champion Destroyers looked like the disc I saw in ads in 2007 for the Star Destroyer in terms of dome height though a goof up did happen with my first Champion Destroyer being slightly low domed.

Last edited:

Good Speed 6 midrange like fairway hybrids are made by Discraft with the Glide, Zombie, and Stratus (borderline speed 5-6 disc). They play like a midrange but with the speed of a lower end fairway.

Valid points. There are definitely some speeds of drivers that are overlooked. 8 and 10 most notably. I'd even say 11 too if it weren't for the Wraith. Speed 10 drivers simply got obsoleted. Beasts are still sorta popular, but Monsters, Starfires, Orcs, and Flashes sure aren't.

I think the only speed 8 driver Innova even makes is the Archangel, and everyone knows that thing is a hunk of junk. 8 is a bit of an awkward speed for a driver. It can't decide if it wants to be a fairway or distance driver.

Latest posts