• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What disc would you miss the most?

Stringbean

Birdie Member
If you were to lose one disc out of your bag and had no way to replace it, the loss of which disc would hurt your scores the most?

I want to try something different and am looking for something that will have a positive impact on my game. Doesn't matter if it is a putter, mid, or driver.

I'm pretty good at putting with a Roc, so I'll say my 167g star Leo... I have had it since I started so comfortable using it for almost anything. Straight, hyzers, hyzer flips for D, long turnovers, mild flex shots, sidearm, the occasional roller. Probably throw it 10-15 times a round so I would miss it badly.

My Buzzz is probably the most useful and easiest to throw straight of all my discs, would definitely have trouble without it.

Does anybody know how a Super Stingray compares to a Buzzzz? I use the SS quite a bit and know that it will fly straight 300 feet plus. Not sure how it compares in terms of line-shaping as I have never thrown a Buzzzzz.

Since I am mid-level advanced at absolute best, I am capable of picking up a new disc and maintaining my scores. However, if I were to lose my dyed beat-in Star TeeBird I would absolutely cry. Thus the reason it spends most of the time on the wall and only gets out to stretch its legs once or twice a year when I know I will not lose it.

My 150 DX Eagle in hunter orange. My first driver ever. When I don't know what to throw, this is it. (not that that's the only time I throw it). Beat in big time... Love it.

Stringbean said:
Does anybody know how a Super Stingray compares to a Buzzzz? I use the SS quite a bit and know that it will fly straight 300 feet plus. Not sure how it compares in terms of line-shaping as I have never thrown a Buzzzzz.

My SS turns a degree or two more likely on full power and good Z Buzzes won't. The SS has a more forward flying milder fade. I haven't done a side by side comparison with those but i think they aren't too far apart distance wise. But can't put numbers or order of distance on them.

I own backups so losing one disc is not bad but the Beast is my go to driver and Z Buzz the mid.

Hmmh, I don't think losing any disc would hurt my scores too badly. I can adapt driving practically anything reasonable very fast, and I don't form THAT strong emotional attachments to discs. If I would lose my putting putter mid tourney I'd be in trouble, but other than that? No real problem for me.

Maybe my Roadrunner? Quite a few courses around here have tight tee shots where it's nice to be able to throw a driver on a deep hyzer and know the disc will flip up, over and finish right. Tough to get that late turn without a really understable disc. Also useful as a distance roller on a similar type of line. Throw 'em low so it lands on a shallow angle and they ride up for a long time and flip over. Several of my longest birdies came from RR rollers.

My beaten flat top, hard-as-hell plastic, tie-dye Champ Valk. (I lost it last summer). Tried plenty of Valks since, they're not the same. :x It's the only disc I really miss.

From my current bag maybe my go-to driver, nicely beaten Star TB. But I could live without it.

My Tracker. Ever other shot I could pull off with something else. A must for me on hard dogleg left tee shots and getting out of trouble with a forehand.

A really beat pPD. Everything else I think I could get new and be happy. But this thing is my baby for tunnel shots over 350'

Well obviously it has to be a beat up disc as anything new is easily replaced with another new disc. Of course, I throw Discraft and rumor is this tendency is not universally true. :D

I actively build backups against the risk of loss including trading for beat up versions of the staples in my bag. Good thing too as a couple weeks ago a beat up 1st run Z Tracker cracked on me, not even on a throw ( I didn't know candy plastic could crack. Slice or gouge sure but crack?). The 2nd string has stepped forward very well or this now deceased disc would have been my choice as most missed.

Now my vote goes to my most beat up X Buzzz. This was a Christmas gift from Discraft with a Christmas custom hotstamp from maybe a decade ago, the stamp long worn off by use. This disc is an absolute upshot staple getting more use than the other 3 Buzzzes I carry combined. Last winter I faced a very risky drive (very risky for losing it) so I had a buddy (an experienced Pro player) go around the blind corner to spot it. He reported it went over the basket and was no more than 30 feet long. We looked for a long time. I returned twice on my own and put in at least an hour in further fruitless search.

6 months later I got a call it had been found, evidently 100 feet past the basket in an impenetrable swampy thicket. When I got it back it fought its way back into the starting lineup. As many of you know, within a few weeks of replacing a lost disc you learn and adapt to the replacement so well it is hard to kick it out. But from regularly playing a few courses with lots of water hazards, the formerly lost disc filled in as a Risk Disc and proved its value.

pask2155 said:
A really beat pPD. Everything else I think I could get new and be happy. But this thing is my baby for tunnel shots over 350'

River and Leo finish even straighter and aren't as flippy as Sidewinders. I heard a rumor about non flippy Sidewinders of clear durable plastic but they are the exception.

my yellow 172g dx roc. it has been in my bag for ~3 years and has a beautiful flight with just a little turn and almost no fade. i lost it for about two months this past spring and it was sorely missed.

Latest posts