• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] What Discs Needed?

craig7530

What Vibram disc would you recommend to a beginner? Would like a all Vibram bag? Guessing in the 150 gram weight class.

To follow the traditional recommendation for beginners for Innova discs:

Aviar (putter)-Roc (mid)-Leo (US Fairway)-Teebird (Stable to OS Fairway)

I would recommend the Sole-Ibex-Vamp-Arch setup. As far a weight goes, I would not necessarily recommend 150 class. Are you athletic? How well do you throw a ball? I would actually lean towards weights in the Mid 160s to low 170s so that your discs will have some substance and fight wind better. 150 class discs are fun and you may wish to add one or two later but if you are kind of athletic and are able to throw I think you would get more all around mileage from discs that are a little bit heavier.

Have fun with that! and stay away from the Lace for a while... :thmbup:

Last edited:
I have a 150-class Ibex in soft... it's more of a learning disc and not a workhorse mid. If you want a workhorse, stick with the 170 range, because Vibram discs tend to beat-in predictably in that class... otherwise very solid advice from august

I'd highly recommend an Ibex in the 170's in whatever firmness you prefer (I like med). That's my workhorse mid. It's quite neutral; holds annie and hyzer lines very nicely, with a nicely predictable little fade at the end which really helps me work around trees... knocked a Buzzz outta my bag.

I putted with a Summit for a while, which is Vibram's understable putter offering. It doesn't fade as much at the end of flight their other putters, which is nice if you're more of a "touch" putter rather than someone who "putts with authority." It's has a fairly shallow rim depth, so it feels like a more like a mid in your hand than most putters. It can handle decent power if you want to use it for off the tee on shorter holes. I liked it, but couldn't quite part with my APX/FLX Challenger combo.

I'm unfamilar with their fairways.

Last edited:
I would recommend the Vamp in 170s range, because this disc is a speed 7 disc that is fairly understable. This disc is my go-to driver for tailwinds, sort of like the Leopard is for most experienced players.

The Valley is another good choice, though I would go with the 160s range for newer players.

Honorable mentions: both the unLace and Onyx are very understable and excellent for reaching new distances, but they also tend to create a slice or hyzer-angle in newer players, i.e. players who use these two on a regular basis don't learn the correct way to throw = flat and clean, with a run-up, x-step, and heel-pivot.

Onyx is a fairway driver designed for ease of use. It will fly well for young players as it comes in 150-155g. It is understable high speed for intermediate to adv players. it can be thrown for good S-shape distance for beginner level.

Over 65 years old or under 13 years old: I would recommend the Onyx.

Anyone whose game can improve: I would not recommend the Onyx.

Part of becoming a better player is learning how to throw a disc, and because the Onyx is so understable, it is an unusual disc such that it complicates learning. My two cents...

Latest posts