• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do people charge?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm curious about what people charge for two different kinds of disc art... I don't see any threads or posts asking this on a search for "price" or "charge", so hopefully this isn't something I missed.

1. What do people usually charge for one-off art? For example: sharpie OR watercolorish brush dyes (prochemical+acetone)?

2. What do people usually charge for drawn art made into vector, sold to others to cut from vinyl?

An example of the quality of art attached.

Attachments

• 257893749_10100100784500230_8045060076782769442_n.jpg
    257893749_10100100784500230_8045060076782769442_n.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 58
I'm curious about what people charge for two different kinds of disc art... I don't see any threads or posts asking this on a search for "price" or "charge", so hopefully this isn't something I missed.

1. What do people usually charge for one-off art? For example: sharpie OR watercolorish brush dyes (prochemical+acetone)?

2. What do people usually charge for drawn art made into vector, sold to others to cut from vinyl?

For art like that, you get whatever peeps are willing to pay you.I would put a $3-5 tag on the one you posted + the cost of the disc.. Then again, I like to wipe the stamp off my discs.

For art like that, you get whatever peeps are willing to pay you.I would put a $3-5 tag on the one you posted + the cost of the disc.. Then again, I like to wipe the stamp off my discs.
Well, thank you for at least making it clear that you're precisely the last person I should care about hearing from on this.

A local charges $40-50 per dye with multi-color stencil type. I didn't ask about something simpler but I would guess 25-30? Does this sound reasonable to others. I assume some of these dyes can take several hours to do.

since this bubbled up to the top, question--can/how would the art work be made permanent?

since this bubbled up to the top, question--can/how would the art work be made permanent?
TBH haven't taken time to really work on this project at all since this was posted. Monica has been doing a lot of drawing but not on discs...

http://instagram.com/theokwojo if anyone wants to give her a follow. She draws a lot of animals, some people, and some pop culture stuff.

TBH haven't taken time to really work on this project at all since this was posted. Monica has been doing a lot of drawing but not on discs...

http://instagram.com/theokwojo if anyone wants to give her a follow. She draws a lot of animals, some people, and some pop culture stuff.

I asked because my daughter is a fairly talented artist. I've thought of asking her to do some designs on discs, but hesitant because it can't be paint and I don't know how to "fix" marker.

Seems like most of the makers do custom runs. The process of get hot foil on a disc takes some skill and a reliable stamper. You've got to expect failures as well when the stamp doesn't take. Getting the heat perfect and allowing the time for it to be stable are key. Using dye and masks is cheaper for short runs, but not as permanent. You rely on the ink to stick with the plastic instead of melting a layer of foil onto the plastic surface. Cutting a mask is gonna by pretty time consuming, so a vector file is key.

The actual art is another story. Clean vector work takes time. An illustration style, though, is the thing of value. It's the brain that makes the lines. The production is just the production weighed against unit cost.