• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you "approach " with?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am looking for a good approch disc. Something that I can lay up to the basket with between 50-150 ft. What do you guys use? I would like something that is not going to go sailing past the basket.

I approach with a Roc or a Shark, depending on if I need fade or not. Good glide on the Shark, and flies straight as an arrow.

I use two discs for approaches. I primarily use the new Discraft Ace Race disc because I want to have no chance of turning over. If I am forced to lay up straight I use the Wizard. I prefer heavy weights for approaches because I want to minimize glide. Outside of 150 to 175 I will layup with an over handed toss with a Tbird but that is getting close to an fairway drive. I lay up a lot in competitive play because I would rather have a safe three than risk getting a four trying for a two.

In that range (50-150), I use a Firm Wizard. It holds any line I put on it and it is slow enough that it is not going to go way past the basket.

If it is a hyzer approach shot I would throw a roc/wasp.

If I am throwing a sidearm approach I will use a buzz or wizard.

I use three different discs Straight on my Elite X Buzz, Left I would use my drone but lost it this past week so now I sub in a Elite Z MRV , Right I use a well worn Elite X soft Challenger or a elite X MRV
The Buzz could go right when I get it worn in, but now it is still pretty new.

I use three different discs Straight on my Elite X Buzz, Left I would use my drone but lost it this past week so now I sub in a Elite Z MRV , Right I use a well worn Elite X soft Challenger or a elite X MRV
The Buzz could go right when I get it worn in, but now it is still pretty new.

I had been using my Star Coyote, but it seems to blow past the basket about 15-20 feet, and I find that unacceptable.

I have a pretty beat in Pro D Magnet, and I am going to give that a try tomorrow. I used to be pretty good approaching with a Magnet. I used to nail 50-100 putts all the time.

My Aviar putter works great. It flies fairly straight but you can turn it right or left easily.

I love the Arrow for down hill approaches. Elite GT Buzz or Soft Banger backhand. Gator or Drone sidearm.

my esp buzz, champion coyote each get nice predictable flight paths.. Ive been using them from anything from 100 to 250' recently with some good results. Ive also been getting my pro rhyno down for a little more distance, and it seems like nothing holds a better predictable line up to 200-250' feet for me. Its becoming a very versatile disc because im using it as my main putter because it sits down well, but also as a driver on shorter holes. It seems to be eliminating a lot of the guesswork out of my game lately. between two near aces I had playing today, one was a 250' with a star firebird on a dogleg right, and the other was a 215' open hole with my pro rhyno that was over the basket by roughly a foot.

Approach

I usually either use my 171g Pro Pig or my 171g Star Skeeter. But yesterday I picked up a 167g Champ Panther that earned its way into my bag with great approaches on #8 and #17 at Fox Chase. I like how that thing flies.

Latest posts