• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a putt??

Robert Scott

I was wondering what you all consider a putt?

Putting is by far the worst part of my game, beside driving over 325ft. I've been working on my putting everytime I play a round. I've also been keeping track of my putts on this web page on the scorecard area. IMO I consider a putt anything with in 30ft. I seen a video the other day that guys were making 100ft putts. I can not putt that far and have to make a mid-range throw to git it to the basket. The thing is I've been making some of these throws and was if I should consider it a putt or not.

Good question. Personally I've decided to track "putts" by anytime I'm using a putting stance/throwing motion, not limited to being inside the 10m circle.

ERic

Good question. Personally I've decided to track "putts" by anytime I'm using a putting stance/throwing motion, not limited to being inside the 10m circle.

ERic
Ditto.

Using this definition, I hit more "approaches" from outside of 50' than I do "putts."

Think of it like ball golf -- if you throw a mid-range and it goes in, that is like hitting an iron on an approach shot (on a ball golf par 4) -- if it goes in, you card a 2 and move on, happy that the gods have smiled on you. If you were tracking shots, you would note zero putts for that hole.

What I have learned is that if I look at the shot and feel comfortable, out comes the putter -- on some holes, that may be farther out than others depending on the route I have, what my stance is, etc.

Also, a friend taught me to take a few minutes before and/or after the round and practice putting -- you really need 2 or 3 putters for this -- stand in one spot, and try to make 3 consecutive putts (same distance, same line) -- once you do that -- back up a step. Each time, start the exercise a little further out. You should see results very quickly.

ERic

I always use the 10meter rule, but I think the idea of Eric's is pretty sound, I will start using that, and I will start tracking my putts on the scorecard.

You should beable to throw you putter up to 100ft with no problems. Over 100ft is when I switch to a mid for more control

I can throw a putter farther then 100 ft. but the putting stance I use will not let me make it that far. I use the putter but make a RHBH throw from anywhere from about 50 to 60 ft out.

I can throw a putter farther then 100 ft. but the putting stance I use will not let me make it that far. I use the putter but make a RHBH throw from anywhere from about 50 to 60 ft out.

I think we all can, but I just find that over 100 feet I am more accurate with my Star Coyote than my putter.

I would very highly suggest everyone learning to throw a putter at least 200'. If you want to be able to throw much more than 300', getting your putter out to 250' is necessary. If you're throwing over 300' and you can't get a putter out to 250' you either need a better putter, have a serious form issue or both.

With a putting stance I usually only push it out to 70' or 80'. I'm much more accurate with a "catch" type throw with a putter past that up to about 200'.

ERic

I use Eric's logic too.

Think of it like ball golf -- if you throw a mid-range and it goes in, that is like hitting an iron on an approach shot (on a ball golf par 4) -- if it goes in, you card a 2 and move on, happy that the gods have smiled on you. If you were tracking shots, you would note zero putts for that hole.

What I have learned is that if I look at the shot and feel comfortable, out comes the putter -- on some holes, that may be farther out than others depending on the route I have, what my stance is, etc.

Also, a friend taught me to take a few minutes before and/or after the round and practice putting -- you really need 2 or 3 putters for this -- stand in one spot, and try to make 3 consecutive putts (same distance, same line) -- once you do that -- back up a step. Each time, start the exercise a little further out. You should see results very quickly.

To take this ball golf analogy a step further. Say you are 12 inches off the green but only 8 feet from the hole. This is a very sinkable chip shot but will never count as a putt.

So my thinking again...when ever you can use your putter in a traditional putting motion should be counted as a putt. For me that is up to about 50 feet but I rarely make them. So I usually 2 putt from 50 feet out.

I'll use that to bump the request for being able to enter zero for number of putts on DGCR:

Okay, I played around with the scorebook after I posted this and... it doesn't even let you save '0' into the Putts field. It changes it back to "--". Seems like you should be able to save a zero (different from <blank>) and have it count towards the average.
Right now for a hole to be counted as having a putt, it must be greater than 0. The site just converts all zeroes to "--" for display purposes. I will do some investigating to see if I can differentiate between 0 and a blank when I get some time.
Okay, cast my vote for zero being a legal putt value. I think it makes sense to allow a player to hole out from outside putting range and have that statistically count as zero putts.

ERic

So my thinking again...when ever you can use your putter in a traditional putting motion should be counted as a putt. For me that is up to about 50 feet but I rarely make them. So I usually 2 putt from 50 feet out.
Yeah, I statistically two-putt a lot for that reason too.

I'll throw 330' on a 370' hole, then miss the 40' birdie putt, and hole out with a "3".

Another player may drive 270' on that same hole, throw a 90' mid/upshot, and sink an easy 10' putt for the same "3" as me.

That's one of the most frustrating parts of my game right now. My drives are getting me reasonably close to baskets <=400' but my putting isn't cashing in those birdies.

ERic

I would very highly suggest everyone learning to throw a putter at least 200'. If you want to be able to throw much more than 300', getting your putter out to 250' is necessary. If you're throwing over 300' and you can't get a putter out to 250' you either need a better putter, have a serious form issue or both.

I agree with garublador. However, don't practice with the disc you use as your putter. You want to keep your putter in sound condition, and they don't take well to being taco-ed. Anything within 10 meters I consider a putt. If you are hitting 80-90% of your putts within the 10-meter circle, you WILL lower your score - guaranteed.

I am different, I throw all my drives/upshots RHBH but I putt left handed so I count only throws lefty as putts. LHBH I only throw about 50-75 feet most do to form but mostly with good aim. My distance is around 300 with control 350-375 all out. The Discraft video helped me with my putts. Also get or make a basket for the house and putt every day. I have rounds where drives are great and I can't hit a putt for anything and then I have days that are just the reverse, but my upshots seem to work either way.

I am different, I throw all my drives/upshots RHBH but I putt left handed so I count only throws lefty as putts. LHBH I only throw about 50-75 feet most do to form but mostly with good aim. My distance is around 300 with control 350-375 all out. The Discraft video helped me with my putts. Also get or make a basket for the house and putt every day. I have rounds where drives are great and I can't hit a putt for anything and then I have days that are just the reverse, but my upshots seem to work either way.

:D You should start putting RIGHT handed..........

I use my putter a lot and am very accurate with it. On short holes (200 or less) I usually tee with it. On most normal distance holes my second shot is with the putter but I don't always consider it a putt. I think of the 10 meter rule but I really don't track putts anyway. i totally agree that if you do track putts you should be able to enter zero putts for a hole.