• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a putt??

I'm a 10 Meter (33.5 feet) rule person too.

Oh and thanks timg for fixing the 0 putts thing! ;) Bet you were sick of me asking for it. LOL

I am more along the lines of: if I expect to make the putt and feel bad if I miss it, then I count that as a missed putt, which for me extends to around the 50 ft. mark depending on the slope/terrain near the basket

if I'm only 40' from the basket, but there is a steep drop off to OB behind the basket and I lay up, I can't really consider that a missed putt - however, if the ground is level and there are no real dangers, and I go for a 60' putt and miss, then I would consider that a missed putt

personally, I think the so called "green" should be more than 10 meters, because pros are expected to make those putts nearly every time... but yet they are usually putting at distances twice that far... I'm not a top pro and I can stand still putt 70' with no problem - I may not make them all, but I have a legit chance to make it

I am more along the lines of: if I expect to make the putt and feel bad if I miss it, then I count that as a missed putt, which for me extends to around the 50 ft. mark depending on the slope/terrain near the basket

if I'm only 40' from the basket, but there is a steep drop off to OB behind the basket and I lay up, I can't really consider that a missed putt - however, if the ground is level and there are no real dangers, and I go for a 60' putt and miss, then I would consider that a missed putt

personally, I think the so called "green" should be more than 10 meters, because pros are expected to make those putts nearly every time... but yet they are usually putting at distances twice that far... I'm not a top pro and I can stand still putt 70' with no problem - I may not make them all, but I have a legit chance to make it

I agree with all of that, it falls along the line of my thinking that: if you're using a putting stance then it's a putt regardless of the distance.

To those "10m people" out there... if you're standing 33' from the basket, you're using your putter disc, you're releasing it with a nice smooth putting motion, you're realistically expecting the disc to go in the basket... how is that not a "putt"?

ERic

In reality I think the whole 10m deal was to establish a boundry line for the falling putt rule. The wording of the rule implies that outside of 10m is not a putt, so once you release the disc you can end up past your lie, hence allowing the jump putt to be legal.

I meant to say- jump putt legal from outside 10m and illegal from inside 10m. I have trouble staying focused sometimes, damn work gets in the way of more important things like talking about disc golf

Gotta stay positive man... if you expect to miss you probably will. :D

I totally agree, that's a HUGE part of this game.

I was listening to a radio interview with Rick Riley and he was talking about the psychological line a caddy has to straddle. They have to phrase everything in the positive.

PDGA radio had an interview with a sports psychologist and she said that you should never throw until you visioned it going in and and have cleared your mind of the negative.

I switch putting styles abt the 50ft mark but its still a putting motion up to abt 120. However I count my putts based on the "do I feel like I should hit it?" method

If I jump putt, straddle putt, inline putt..... it is a putt. hence the word putt in each phrase. I switch to an approach throw somewhere right around 100'. personal opinion though

Good question. Personally I've decided to track "putts" by anytime I'm using a putting stance/throwing motion, not limited to being inside the 10m circle.

ERic

ditto - it's a completely different toss reagdless of distance. I typically putt if I am within 50'. It's really more of an opportunity to practice that length so that I will eventually be more comfortable from that distance the longer I play.:cool:

PDGA radio had an interview with a sports psychologist and she said that you should never throw until you visioned it going in and and have cleared your mind of the negative.

I recently started doing this, mainly when putting. I will just stand there and focus on the link and wait. After about 10 seconds I guess my brain subconciously remembers the thousands of putts I've made and I begin to envision the discs flight and a confidence will overcome me and my bunghole un-puckers. If I remember to do this I seem to make >90% from 20'. If I pull the trigger before I feel confident I miss at least 50% from 10' and out.

Ok,so what kind of putters are we talking about? I have a Birdie putter but I can't imagine using that to throw 200' or so.
So what kind of putters do you use for these drives...er.....putts?

I personally use that stat to help me keep track of how well I'm doing once I get within 10 meters. If I sink a shot outside of that, it is a "zero" putt for me, regardless of what throwing motion I am using. Also, if I am within 10 meters but obstructed in some way, I do not consider it a putt. I feel that I should make anything inside of 10 meters when I have an open look at the chains. That stat lets me know how I am doing in that area. That's just me. I think that the stat is simply a personal preference on what exactly you want to track for your own records.

Ok,so what kind of putters are we talking about? I have a Birdie putter but I can't imagine using that to throw 200' or so.

I haven't launched an all out drive to see what kind of distance I can get, but I throw my gateway warlock fairly easily 150-200' on approach shots and get it fairly close to the basket for a true putt. I may need to run down to the field today to see how far I can actually throw it as a driver.:D

A Birdie won't be very predictable at 200'. The lid like putters really don't handle throws faster than an approach shot nearly as well as more stable putters. Most stablish (Magnet, APX, Aviar P&A, etc) putters are predictable within 200' (plus or minus some depending on the mold). The more stable putters I talk about a lot (Wizard, BB Aviar, Challenger, ect.) are predictable way beyond that.

I only consider a shot as a putt when putting the disc is the basket is my main goal in the shot. which ends up meaning everything within about 35' and depending on the lie, about75% of the shots i take within 50'. if we had designated greens, then i think it would be easier to determine what is and isn't a putt.

I haven't launched an all out drive to see what kind of distance I can get, but I throw my gateway warlock fairly easily 150-200' on approach shots and get it fairly close to the basket for a true putt. I may need to run down to the field today to see how far I can actually throw it as a driver.:D

O.K. - so I decided to try this out over the weekend. Interestingly enough I lost some accuracy when really trying to air the warlock out as a "drive". I got around 230', but it never really felt comfortable. I'll stick to my Polaris for the real drives.

Again - as numerous have mentioned, putting is typically that 30-50 foot range. I am guessing that it is more psychological than anything else really. If I am feeling comfortable about a particular approach or there is no wind, I have putted upwards of 100' on occasion and gotten really close. I think 50' is certainly doable by anyone playing the game! Sure it's next to impossible, but so is a 50' putt in golf, and that's why only a select few of the upper caliber player can make them! If you never practice beyond the circle - you're obviously never going to get better at it.:cool: