• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a putt??

I'll use that to bump the request for being able to enter zero for number of putts on DGCR:

ERic
Finally added. Entering 0 will now count toward your putting stats should you ace a hole, get it in from 200ft. away, etc. Leaving the putts field blank will behave as usual.

If its not in the circle I dont count it as a putt. I jump-putt from 100'+ and when I miss it I have never thought of that as a missed putt.

I would very highly suggest everyone learning to throw a putter at least 200'. If you want to be able to throw much more than 300', getting your putter out to 250' is necessary. If you're throwing over 300' and you can't get a putter out to 250' you either need a better putter, have a serious form issue or both.

With a putting stance I usually only push it out to 70' or 80'. I'm much more accurate with a "catch" type throw with a putter past that up to about 200'.

Isn't this a little misleading??? Not everyone has a "big arm"... Throwing a putter 200'+??? That isn't a putt, that is a drive for some people... If this were the case, I know MANY people that shouldn't even attempt to play this game... Just my opinion...

I don't think he was saying that's a putt. I sometimes tee off with my putter on short holes. he is saying that a putter is usually an accurate disc and if you can throw it that far it helps the rest of your game. I probably throw 75% of my secon shots with a putter even if I am not within what I consider an actual putting range.

Isn't this a little misleading??? Not everyone has a "big arm"... Throwing a putter 200'+??? That isn't a putt, that is a drive for some people... If this were the case, I know MANY people that shouldn't even attempt to play this game... Just my opinion...
You don't need a "big arm" to drive with a putter. You need good form/technique. If you try to "big arm" a putter you will have difficulty. He's talking about learning the technique of driving with a putter because this will be good for your overall game.

Yeah, I statistically two-putt a lot for that reason too.

I'll throw 330' on a 370' hole, then miss the 40' birdie putt, and hole out with a "3".

Another player may drive 270' on that same hole, throw a 90' mid/upshot, and sink an easy 10' putt for the same "3" as me.

That's one of the most frustrating parts of my game right now. My drives are getting me reasonably close to baskets <=400' but my putting isn't cashing in those birdies.

ERic
Coming from a ball golf background, that is like having a long putt on the green verses someone that chips on and one putts. That's why distance only helps if you can get close enough to hole out the putt. It should be the 10 meter rule or similar distance because it doesn't mater what disc you use. Like someone else on this thread said. You can chip on in ball golf with a putter, but it doesn't count as a putt

I just use the 30 foot rule. Anything inside of that I count as a putt...as long as it is unobstructed. Anything outside of that is not. I'll jump putt at times all the way up to around 100 feet, but I don't consider that a putt. Like anything else from that range, it is an approach shot that I try to give a chance to get in the chains. That's just me though. I know everyone does their own thing on that.

You're right, that is a drive, a drive you should be able to do with a putter. 200' with a putter is way easier than it may sound. Granted there may be exceptions for people based on physical limitations, but you'll know if you have those (i.e. you'll be 8 or 80 years old, have some sort of injury, stuff like that). While it was only implied, I'm really talking to teenagers to adults who are serious enough about playing to ask about disc golf on an internet forum. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people reading this have the physical capability to throw a putter 200'.

I just use the 30 foot rule. Anything inside of that I count as a putt...as long as it is unobstructed. Anything outside of that is not. I'll jump putt at times all the way up to around 100 feet, but I don't consider that a putt. Like anything else from that range, it is an approach shot that I try to give a chance to get in the chains. That's just me though. I know everyone does their own thing on that.

^^ Thats the same way I do it.

Main reason, is because I want to see my scorecard (on this site) and know how well I have or have not putted. So although I can putt pretty confidently up to about 50' I dont count those as a putt, I dont feel like at that distance I "should" have it. Now to score well, I feel, like I have to nail my putts in the circle, so if I miss any of those I count it against myself.

You're right, that is a drive, a drive you should be able to do with a putter. 200' with a putter is way easier than it may sound. Granted there may be exceptions for people based on physical limitations, but you'll know if you have those (i.e. you'll be 8 or 80 years old, have some sort of injury, stuff like that). While it was only implied, I'm really talking to teenagers to adults who are serious enough about playing to ask about disc golf on an internet forum. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people reading this have the physical capability to throw a putter 200'.

I don't think that I could throw my putter 200'... I throw my drives only 250'-300'(ON A GOOD DAY)... 200' is what I throw my mid-range and thumbers... Not everyone that is on a message board can go real deep!!! That kind of thinking makes people dislike the game... Like in ball golf, someone thinking that 'just about anyone' should be able to drive the ball 300 yards... This is just one person's opinion...

you shouldn't get so defensive

he's not saying everybody should be able to go outside and start chunking putters 200' at will

he's saying with proper technique and practice, everybody is capable of learning to throw a putter 200 feet (assuming no physical limitations) - this is more than just an opinion

the fact that you can only throw 250' on average means your form can still be improved and with a little work, you can teach yourself to throw farther - you do not have to be a pro or a tournament player to do this...

The moment I have a 200 footer and I consider it a putt is the moment I go pro. 30 foot rule - plain, simple, and easier to keep track of when scoring.

By PDGA rule, anything inside 10m, which is equal to 32' 10", is considered a putt. Anything outside is an approach.Garublador never called A 200 ft throw with a putter a "putt" He simply stated that most people should be able to throw a putter about 200 ft. If you can't, then try working on it was what he was suggesting. I have aced a 220' ft hole with a "putt & approach". An Innova XD. The only reason, I ever accomplished that was because a friend of mine gave me one and told me to start throwing it off the tee when I would practice. Frustrated at first, I pressed on. After awhile I started getting more and more distance with it, i finally maxed out at about 275'. It made me a better driver off the pad, when using my drivers.

Disc golf "putters" are not so defined by their purpose as their ball golf counterparts. You would never use your putter 60 yards (180 feet) out in ball golf. They don't work too well rolling your ball across fairway grass. Disc golf putters conversely work very well at such a distance.

And I agree that one should really try to always use a putter inside of 200', even if they don't technically consider that a putt. They are putt AND approach discs after all. Learning how to throw slow speed discs properly will improve your control which can work wonders when upgrading to the higher speed drivers. Try a mid-range & putter only round sometime.

Last edited:
I don't think that I could throw my putter 200'... I throw my drives only 250'-300'(ON A GOOD DAY)... 200' is what I throw my mid-range and thumbers... Not everyone that is on a message board can go real deep!!! That kind of thinking makes people dislike the game... Like in ball golf, someone thinking that 'just about anyone' should be able to drive the ball 300 yards... This is just one person's opinion...
If you're throwing 250'-300' then you already have the arm to throw a putter 200'. It requires, at best, mediocre technique. It's just that most people haven't spent the time to really see what their putters, and many times mids, can really do.

If we're using ball golf analogies, the rough equivalent of hitting a ball 300 yards would be throwing a putter 350'. I wouldn't expect very many people to get to that point.

i was amazed when i saw a putter go 500' down hill in de la. when i saw this shot i knew i needed to learn how to use my putter. the point will come where you will be able to command your putters distance and accuracy. it is all about practice, if it's something you want bad enough you can get it with practice.

I consider a putt, when I go into my normal putting stance and use my normal putting motion. I may use a putter to approach or drive with, but if I'm doing a normal drive or approach motion, I don't consider it a putt.

I have not even been playing a year yet. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw someone else effortlessly throw there putter 250'

At the time I saw this I was throwing my driver 250'!!! '

I did not even have a putter at the time. I traded an extra mid I had for a putter the next day and started trying to drive with it. I was amazed at how far I could throw it. I had never really tried to do anything other than putt with it.

Now only two months later I am throwing my putter 250' and driving 300'. I honestly think learning to drive with a putter helped me to get more control and distance with a driver.