• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What drivers would you guys recommend?

Toddinski

Bogey Member
Here's where my bag is so far:

Putter:
4x p&a aviars for upshots and drives (max weight)
1x DX aviar for putting (max weight)

Midrange:
4x champ roc3s (max weight)

Fairway:
2x champ firebirds for forehands and windy drives (170g)
3x champ teebird currently my longest disc, use it a lot for long straight flights (169g)

I'm missing actual drivers for my lineup. I don't have the means to go out and buy 100 drivers and try them all out, so I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

For my distances:
Putter - about 200 to 250 on a high floaty line. When I pull out my star Rhyno I can easily push 250.
Midrange - 250 to 275 on a lower line. I use it when I can barely reach the distance with a putter for an easier shot.
Fairway - 275 to 325 depending on the type of shot. I like to rip the teebirds on those 300 to 400 foot straight holes.

I'm really loving innova champion plastic, so I've been looking at molds like the beast, destroyer, and wraith. What do you guys think?

you cant go wrong with the classics, Starfire, Destroyer, Teerex (for overstable), and Valkyrie(for understable). with the stuff you already have, these would give a very well rounded bag.

Wraiths.

Champ Wraith = Overstable
Echo Star Wraith = Stable
DX Wraith = Understable

If you like how the Teebird flies, and are intent on having faster discs, then I'd say look at speed 10-12 but ones that have -1 or -2 turn. Namely because they'll behave similar to the Teebird, but also because you're probably also going Champ plastic which tends to be on the overstable side of the ratings.

I throw a TL which I can hyzer flip, but I can't flip my Starfires even though they're both 0 turn. Faster discs need more juice to fly the same shape but longer, or you can cheat a little bit by inching over to the understable offerings.

So today I played with a friend who happened to have both a champ beast and a champ wraith.

Wow, the wraith is amazing. I was parking holes I usually can't even reach which was exactly what I wanted. I believe it was a 172g mold.

As for the beast, maybe it was just beat, but it was really flippy. Like I had to put it on a hyzer line so it wouldn't flip over. Is this normal?

It looks like the wraiths are gonna be in the bag. What else do you guys recommend? How would maybe a starfire or teerex fit in?

you cant go wrong with the classics, Starfire, Destroyer, Teerex (for overstable), and Valkyrie(for understable). with the stuff you already have, these would give a very well rounded bag.

I'm surprised I never hear about the Teerex. I found a star one before I could even throw that high of speed and it was one of my favorite discs right away.

Wraiths.

Champ Wraith = Overstable
Echo Star Wraith = Stable
DX Wraith = Understable

I'm right on the page with Butler. However, I would go with Pro or G-Star Wraiths for understable. Grab a ~160-165g and it's a hyzerflip machine that goes for days on a turnover. Plus, it will hold up slightly longer than DX.

However, same recommendations and plastics can be said for Beasts, but they'll have a bit more lateral movement. I will always have a sweet spot in my heart for the Beast. The Beast/Eagle combo was my first real driver set when I started so long ago.

The Mamba is a great driver for a beginner as it is very understable. Helps new players go straight & as you get better it can be a hyzer flip disc and later down the line a turn over disc & finally a roller.

Cant go wrong with Wraiths, i have three in the bag

I second that, DesertFox.

But the disc that I have fell in love with is the SL. I started with a DX Beast and that was going well until it hit a few too many trees. I probably should have graduated to a Star/Champ Beast but because I had a $15 voucher to Sports Authority, I went up to a Champ Starfire (free with voucher). I loved how it had the dependable finish at the end right out of the box. However, my mechanics were not great, it was becoming a bit too much fade. I knew when my form got better, this was going to be a staple in my bag. So at this time, I ordered a Pro SL from the Innova Pro Shop. This disc was IT!!! Very similar to a Starfire, but a little less fade and a bit more distance. With my mechanics at the time, this was going to my go to distance driver and it has never left my bag. I have been trying to get Star SL's and I've got 2 in trades and got lucky that the Innova Pro Shop had just got them in. To my chagrin, those went like hotcakes and I was S.O.L. The SL is just like a Beast but a touch more stable.

I'm right on the page with Butler. However, I would go with Pro or G-Star Wraiths for understable. Grab a ~160-165g and it's a hyzerflip machine that goes for days on a turnover.

If you get Pro, get the F2's at the Innova Pro Shop. Mine has been through some wicked battles but is still pretty straight with a touch of finish at the end.

And for $9, you can't go wrong. If you get bulk then you will get a 10% on 5-9 F2's and 20% on 10+. 10 would be $90 minus $18 for $72 plus I believe because the order was over $75 without the discount, you get Free Shipping. Then they charge 10% tax, so add $7.20 for a total of $79.20 for 10 discs with FREE UPS shipping. $7.92 per disc, now that I would consider a bargain.

F2's: Factory Second

the wraith

I am going to third, fourth or fifth the wraith suggestions.
You can't go wrong with champ or star.
It is the longer teebird everyone searches for.

I would recommend trying different brands. Every company now has at least one mold that is as good or better than innova in their respective category.

The flow from lat 64 is a speed 11.

Wraiths are going to be in your wheelhouse if you like Teebirds. Since you like Champ, get a champ Wraith or two. If you need one more understable but don't like the feel of the pro, G* or DX Wraiths, try a VIP Sword, Lucid Renegade or an Opto Flow like Dr Smooth suggested. If you stick to Innova you might have to try some of their less heralded drivers like the Krait.

A thunderbird, orc, and tern. Try'em and I bet you'll like them. The tern will just be for those huge open distance holes, but once you start to really learn it and juice it up, you can get great long lines with it. The orc will be a much more controlled, predictable distance driver for you. I imagine there will be some overlap for you between the orc and thunderbird, but one of those two I think you'll really like. If you only get one, go orc.

If you really like champ and want some workable turn, I think a heavy champ Tern would be a nice disc for you. Mine, at least, is not "flippy," but it seems to be a very controllable turn as opposed to some other understable high speed drivers. All bets are off in a headwind, though.

That's my $0.02. One reason I like DGCR, though, is that these other guys have way more experience than me. They've been making great suggestions.

Latest posts