• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What flies like a Ti Mantis???

The Ace Race I played in didn't have anything heavier than 164 and to put Innova's numbers on it, I would have called them 7 5 -1 2.

I found a used 175 though that was closer to a Teebird, a little more HSS, otherwise similar.

I don't know how heavy everyone elses were, but mine were the purple ones (I think each color was a different weight range) and id say a tl or fresh champ leopard would give similar reults. But banshee or teerex? I cant even fathom that having only thrown three purples and a green.

I get the impression even a Ti Mantis might not fly like a Ti Mantis :p

FWIW I've thrown the production Z Mantis and it was understable.

The TI ones are definitely more OS than the production Z. The ones I got from the AceRace were in the 160s...the brand new z I threw was 170s and it flipped up and turned with ease.

I haven't thrown them enough to give a good comparison of another mold....but I will say you could probably find many molds that would fly similarly. Champ Valk does come to mind though....They aren't as understable as everyone says....at least the ones I have thrown.

TI Mantis seems nearly irreplaceable and trust me I am a 2013 Ace Race disc fanatic. I think if you had to pick a disc from Innova you could say maybe a Teerex in terms of flight but the feel of the disc is totally different. I think maybe the most stable glow Eagle-X you could find could also come close but again the feel would be off.

No. Just... No. The original TR mold Teerex is an epic beefhook that makes an Xcaliber look understable in comparison. The TRX mold is less stable than the TR mold, but still, it is head and shoulders more OS than a Mantis, and also a couple of speed classes higher, not to mention. I repeat, no. In all honesty, the closest thing to a Z Mantis would be a Champion Viking.

No. Just... No. The original TR mold Teerex is an epic beefhook that makes an Xcaliber look understable in comparison. The TRX mold is less stable than the TR mold, but still, it is head and shoulders more OS than a Mantis, and also a couple of speed classes higher, not to mention. I repeat, no. In all honesty, the closest thing to a Z Mantis would be a Champion Viking.

Yeah...definitely no where close to a TeeRex speed & stability.

Good call on the Viking though....I can see some comparison there.

^ The mantis and Valk are nothing alike. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Less posting, more discing. Have you been once this year?

BigSky or Halcon or whoever and I have had some differences over the years, but he's not wrong depending on which Ti Mantis you got.

I played with friends in Michigan last weekend. We had a guy in our group who was throwing what looked like a Ti Heat, and on very similar lines. When I asked him where he tracked down a Ti Heat he looked at me like I was crazy and very slowly and carefully explained that it wasn't the Heat, the Heat was from LAST YEAR's Ace Race and that this was a MANTIS from the 2013 Ace Race... At which point I pulled out my significantly less domey Ti Mantis and blew his mind. Apparently all the discs from the Ace Race he played in were domey, whereas all the ones from the Ace Race I participated in were flatter, and flew a lot like Eagle-X's instead of understable like a Heat or a Valk. I think it's a case of YMMV.

OP, if you have a flatter Ti Mantis, get an Champ Eagle or MVP Servo. If it's domier, Star Valk isn't a bad choice, or nearly as inaccurate as others seem to think.

Based on what was posted about the AR Mantis, there was significant variation in the discs that were distributed from event to event. Some were overstable, some weren't.

Latest posts