• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What form and disc would you use?

Clyde Frog

254' par 3 uphill. I've been getting really accurate throwing a speed 7, -3 turn just to the left of the mandoh tree RHBH. When all goes well I end up right under the basket, Only problem I have is that I sometimes grip lock and Sail out right of ob. My friends all either flick or are LHBH, so they can't offer much advice.

Attachments

• tmp_17178-2015-12-14 08.45.39-465888416.jpg
    tmp_17178-2015-12-14 08.45.39-465888416.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 206
  • tmp_17178-2015-12-14 09.00.061874103904.jpg
    tmp_17178-2015-12-14 09.00.061874103904.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 145
I'd throw a putter or mid on a hyzer flip pretty much straight at it. Seems like no problem with landing to the left side a little and missing mando.

Could also throw a fairway driver on a little a hyzer out to the left and let it fade back at the basket of you can't get slower discs out there.

hold this thought... I'm Going out there later to take more quality pictures. the tee pad looks to be about 30' farther back so the line of trees on the left really,really come into play. If I had better photos you would see that anywhere to the left, from the tee box to the basket is not an option on this hole. I apologize for the crappy photos, I will get some new ones on here later.

Yeah I was wondering if it was a bad angle. Seems pretty safe out to the left but can see where those could come into play.

How do the RHFH players throw here? Low skip?

What hole/course?

Depending on how I'm playing/feeling, Id throw a Comet, Truth or Roc. I can't throw a putter that far up hill. Powering down a fairway would be too risky for me, I would either have an early release or grip lock it.

Yeah I'd flick something at it. Either a Gazelle or a Banshee depending on wind and how much I want to work the skip into it. I'm like your friend with the backhand though. Working on it but terribly weak and inconsistent.

Probably throw my Champ Aviar on a flip right at it. Or Flick a Firebird up there.

254' par 3 uphill. I've been getting really accurate throwing a speed 7, -3 turn just to the left of the mandoh tree RHBH. When all goes well I end up right under the basket, Only problem I have is that I sometimes grip lock and Sail out right of ob. My friends all either flick or are LHBH, so they can't offer much advice.

7b9f167a.jpg

Is that the one?

When I'm getting strategic about a line, I want to answer the following questions (assuming no serious wind):

1. Is this a bird-able hole? Absolutely.
2. Where do I want to putt from? Below the basket, 20' or closer to 15' above the pin. Nobody likes the pressure of a long downhill putt that can turn a bird to bogey.
3. What's the highest percentage shot you have? Just because you parked it once or twice with an anhyzer line, that might not be your highest % shot... Get out there when it's quite and throw 10 hyzers, 10 flat, 10 anhyzers and keep track of the #'s that landed in your landing zone.
4. Are you not executing a shot you should have (like yanking to the right)? Why? Uphill - it's common to see people grip locking because they are trying to throw the disc harder, and they open the shoulders too early. Uphill teepads rob you of the ability to shift weight into the plant foot, so we'll often start "throwing hard".

On a shot like that, if I couldn't flick a firebird - I'd throw a putter on a low hyzer and look to hit the ground 20' in front of the pin, hoping for a 10' skip towards the basket.

Last edited:
I'm def still a noob to this game. Been playing the better part of a year. The friends that got me into this sport have all played for several years, I've also made several new friends through the sport.

However, I believe that only 2 other friends that I know patron these sites and actually read up on how to improve their game. The rest are "good" and don't seem to want to listen to advice from a noob.

I have made this sport one of my top priorities and I bust my ass trying to figure every aspect, angle, emotion and skills that drive this new obsession. Gone from a +21 on 18 holes to playing straight par in less than a year, all from several great pointers I learned from YouTube, DGCR...etc.
I'm still working on getting my mids out past 250' and putters out past 200', not where id like to be but much further than never starting in the first place.

I dream of Going pro, I dream of birdies and aces. When I'm not at the course or in my backyard putting, I am thinking about golf. It's taken over my life.

I'm def still a noob to this game. Been playing the better part of a year. The friends that got me into this sport have all played for several years, I've also made several new friends through the sport.

However, I believe that only 2 other friends that I know patron these sites and actually read up on how to improve their game. The rest are "good" and don't seem to want to listen to advice from a noob.

I have made this sport one of my top priorities and I bust my ass trying to figure every aspect, angle, emotion and skills that drive this new obsession. Gone from a +21 on 18 holes to playing straight par in less than a year, all from several great pointers I learned from YouTube, DGCR...etc.
I'm still working on getting my mids out past 250' and putters out past 200', not where id like to be but much further than never starting in the first place.

I dream of Going pro, I dream of birdies and aces. When I'm not at the course or in my backyard putting, I am thinking about golf. It's taken over my life.

That's great, congrats. Since it's uphill it plays longer than 254' -- if I were you I'd work on throwing a mid on this hole -- a 7 speed driver can skip and roll. Personally, I would ace run it every time with an MVP Neutron Tangent. I play a similar hole all the time and almost always park it or come close to banging chains -- chained out once and hit metal a few times. Never skipped or rolled away with the Tangent, it sits down nicely. Not an MVP fanboy at all, but this particular disc for me is absolute money on these kinds of shots.

I'll work my Neutron Alias up to the 250-270' range, Since that seems to be the closest disc between the buzz and tangent. I'm somewhere around 200' Right now, so I probably need a new grip tech to get it further out.

sounds like a good plan to me.

Do you fan grip mids? When it comes to driving my putters and mids far I throw them just like a driver really but sometimes a little higher.

sounds like a good plan to me.

Do you fan grip mids? When it comes to driving my putters and mids far I throw them just like a driver really but sometimes a little higher.

Good point Aim, same here -- exact same power grip and throwing motion. I only switch to a fan grip inside 150'.

I'm looking up mid power grips as I type. Shouldn't be to hard to switch. I'm driving my Northman around 300' to 330' with a power grip. Getting about the same distance when I disc up (just not as much control), so I am throwing speed 10 or less off every tee. That is what really helped me start getting par. Now I want more distance, better control and birdies!

I'm looking up mid power grips as I type. Shouldn't be to hard to switch. I'm driving my Northman around 300' to 330' with a power grip. Getting about the same distance when I disc up (just not as much control), so I am throwing speed 10 or less off every tee. That is what really helped me start getting par. Now I want more distance, better control and birdies!

Just power grip mids and putters like your drivers when driving with them, it takes practice but it'll pay off.

well, I went straight from work to the course to try power grips. first thing I found out is that I'm more comfortable with a modified power grip (more like a birdie grip). I'm now powering my mids to around 220', only 20' more than I was with my finger on the outside bead. I feel like I've started building on something big, I opened the manual straight to the middle page and the instructions are in french.

I need a big lesson in putting. It's like now that i have the right idea on form and grip for mids, that my putting grip feels much less comfortable / reliable. Nothing about my putting game feels smooth or natural.

I'd probably go with a control fairway driver like a cheetah or leopard, slight hyzer so it flips flat and skips forward RHBH. I honestly don't throw mids a lot and uphill my putters wouldn't cover that much distance. I always go with my most relaxed shot so there is less tendency to overthink and force a shot that ends up going badly.

Latest posts