• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Happens After An Ace?

I didn't know we had such a genius in our mitts. I am so glad to out why these things are happening. All this time I was thinking I was just old. Now I have scientific proof it's not me . What a relief!!

When I hiked the same mountain trails I'd hiked 30 years ago, I discovered that the ozone hole had let too much oxygen escape, and I had to breathe much harder to get my share.

With these Earth changes, imagine how tough it would be for us if we were actually getting older, too.

It's become the fashion, at least around here, to take a selfie with the disc and basket after hitting an ace, and post it on social media. Probably causes lots of eye-rolling from non-discing friends, as well as a few discing ones, but at least it doesn't damage the baskets.

It's become the fashion, at least around here, to take a selfie with the disc and basket after hitting an ace, and post it on social media. Probably causes lots of eye-rolling from non-discing friends, as well as a few discing ones, but at least it doesn't damage the baskets.

I once hit a doubles ace. Partner was more excited than I. He had his phone out ready to take my picture and was surprised when I didn't pose.

I put the date, course and hole # on mine. One thing I don't like is a bunch of signatures all over my disc. I got talked into that once, and I regretted it later. It's just not necessary to me. The disc goes back in the bag like any other disc.

I don't get many aces, but I get more excited when I see someone else get one than when I get one. I think when I get one I'm in a small state of shock. :)

I just put the date somewhere neatly inside the rim and let a witness sign it if around. I don't retire it, I keep throwing it as long as it's doing what I want it to do.

I put the date, course and hole # on mine. One thing I don't like is a bunch of signatures all over my disc. I got talked into that once, and I regretted it later. It's just not necessary to me. The disc goes back in the bag like any other disc.

I don't get many aces, but I get more excited when I see someone else get one than when I get one. I think when I get one I'm in a small state of shock. :)

I don't do the signature thing, either. Never really appealed to me.

But it's all in the category of To each their own. As long as people aren't tagging baskets, it's all good.

The disc and the moment are yours. Document your feat however you want.

The tee sign and the basket belong to everyone. If they could speak, they'd tell you that wasn't their first rodeo and won't be their last, so any documenting of the feat that involves them should be relegated to your camera.

The first one I was super pumped, because I called the line including it skipping...not calling the ace but that if I threw that shot right it will ace run on the skip and stay in the circle. Hit it right, and it stuck in. Signed and dated it...but kept throwing it and eventually lost it.

My perspective is you threw the ace, the disc didn't do it for you. So I keep throwing them, and have lost a few ace discs. Sucks just like losing any other disc that I've thrown for a while.

I get more excited now if I throw the exact line I wanted and get it in or hit metal. I've had a couple of goofy shots stick and I more laugh at it and am amused by the situation that those are the ones that work, but it also sucks when I splash out on the perfect line that I thought was going to be in the whole time.

It depends on what region you are in.... but in most areas you are supposed to dry hump the basket after an ace. If you don't do this it is bad luck and most people believe you will not get another ace for 7 years!!!

.... but in most areas you are supposed to dry hump the basket after an ace. If you don't do this it is bad luck and most people believe you will not get another ace for 7 years!!!

I am learning so much about the darker underbelly of this sport... But now I can't wait to throw my first ace!!

Only once and I never wrote on the disc, had it on a piece of paper the date I got it but I lost that in the 2000's. It was in my first month of play in August 2003 with a Rubber putter that my mom now has. I did like the mold just in wind the Rubber Putter and Areo discs do not do well for me. My dad has success with the mold in the wind but then his Rubber Putter is the newer baseline plastic with the DuPont added to the plastic, mine was the older plastic and under 170 grams.

Last edited:
The first proper one I signed the disc. After that, an instagram post at most.

Oh yeah, and the discs keep on flying. No retiring or any other favors. Get back in line, maggot.

1. Look at cardmate in disbelief
2. Have cardmate take photo and send to all that were not there
3. Brag about it here on the Ace thread
4. Put disc back in bag.

Neither disc I have aced with is currently in my bag. The disc doesn't suddenly give me a +3 modifier or anything, but I won't trade off my first for nostalgic sake.

I only throw my first ace disc on special occasions, but have thrown and lost all the other subsequent ace discs. I'm glad I kept that first one.

I tend to get more excited for card mates' aces than my own. I have one buddy that desperately wants to hit one. We'll celebrate hard for him when that happens! I hope he stops short of dry humping the basket, but I won't put it past him :D

My first ace, my buddy took a picture, but I didn't pose or anything. I can't even remember what I threw. Mako? Shark?

My second was in the summer tournament at my local course. My card mates (intermediate div) were more excited than I was, so that was pretty cool. I just wanted to stay focused because, you know, there was a big intermediate tournament to win! I did appreciate their excitement.

The funny thing is I threw a Panther on what is now a putter hyzer for me, so I laugh whenever I play that hole. I couldn't hyzer that beat-to-hell Panther if I tried.

I'm not sure what happened but I wasn't present when the ace pool was rewarded.

Last edited:
I take a picture and keep throwing the disc.

Lost my first Ace disc to the Red River in Fargo. Can never get that back. Hang up your first when you get it. Do what you want after that.

I write Ace 4/28/19 on the inner rim, and retire them. I love adding fresh plastic to the bag anyway, and I'm more than happy to reward a disc with Hall of Fame status and add a new one ready to try for the same.

Or would you smile, cheer, high-five everyone around you, reclaim the disc and just move on to the next hole?
Or, if you already have one under your belt, what do you do with your discs after having thrown one?

It's a good throw, so I celebrate. Put the disc in the bag and go on. The disc gets treated the same as it did before the ace. I've never even thought about retiring a disc just because of a good throw. I've also never hung onto a disc that needed replacement just because I'd thrown aces with it.