• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What if the disc lands on top of basket

It's quite obvious a disc on top of the basket did not go into the basket as is the required flight of path, however a wedgie is not as clearcut because it could come hopping in from the bottom and wedge into the basket from underneath . . . was that the intended flight path to hole out . . . no way, if you think anyone would try that they are crazy.

In myopinion, anything stuck in the chains or restingin or on the edge of the basket should count, anything on top or stuck in the side of bottom should not. The intent should be to clear the basket, hit the chains and fall either into the basket or stay resting in the chains, that is the most obvious way to hole out, so anything else shouldnt count. The problem with allowing wedgies is that you might throw one from 300 feet and wedge it into the basket, but how are you to know the exact flight it took to wedge in the basket? You can't and that is probably why they allow them to rule out any subjectivity by opposing players.

I agree with harr, but personally I just wish the basket manufacturers would take it upon themselves and make the holes in the basket smaller, so that wedgie's were not possible - it would be very easy to do and not cost that much extra

I had one land on top of the basket the other day and a guy putting after me knocked it off and it almost went in, clanking off the basket rim. Woulda been some putt to remember. Oh well. Can anyone tell me what the rules are as far as clearing a putter on top of the basket before someone else putts?

the rule is if the person putting requests that you move it, then you must do so or you simply have the option to move it if you choose (move it = put a mini under the basket, and might not hurt to get permission to go ahead and putt out and get out of the way)

however, if the disc is left on top and it is hit, no matter if it goes in the basket or rolls away 100', the rule says a disc at rest can not be moved by another disc hitting it, so it has to be replaced on top of the basket as if it never moved to begin with

same thing applies if the disc is hanging in the chains in the basket - if the disc has come to rest, then another player can not knock it out of the basket (which is a common myth) - the disc is replaced where it last came to rest, which means it is hole out

FYI, text of the official rule:

803.07 Interference

B. If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. (If the two meter penalty is in effect, see also 803.08 C and D for movement of a disc above the playing surface.)

It's quite obvious a disc on top of the basket did not go into the basket as is the required flight of path, however a wedgie is not as clearcut because it could come hopping in from the bottom and wedge into the basket from underneath . . . was that the intended flight path to hole out . . . no way, if you think anyone would try that they are crazy.

Count me among the crazies. There are 2 holes on my home course where my best shot off the tee is a planned skip.

Both holes,though shaped a little differently and guarded differently slope downhill 75-85% of the hole and then slope uphill the remaining distance to the basket.

A Tee-Rex, thrown RHBH, nose down and in a neutral-tiny anhyzer release follows the downhill slope and then as it starts to fade left it hits the ground on the uphill slope and skips left towards the basket position.

I haven't had any wedgies or skip aces (yet), but its a shot that works for me.

Count me among the crazies. There are 2 holes on my home course where my best shot off the tee is a planned skip.

My point is to say that was not the intent of the course designer or the sport, not necessarily the shot maker. IMO you should always want the disc to hit chains and drop in. That is simply the logical way to hole out. It isn;t logical to expect a disc to wedge into the basket from the side or underneath.
You can want to plan the skip fine, but plan to skip it up and into the basket not to wedge into the framework.

My point is to say that was not the intent of the course designer or the sport, not necessarily the shot maker. IMO you should always want the disc to hit chains and drop in. That is simply the logical way to hole out. It isn;t logical to expect a disc to wedge into the basket from the side or underneath.
You can want to plan the skip fine, but plan to skip it up and into the basket not to wedge into the framework.

Okay...I see your point.

I have had both a wedgie and a DROT happen to me, each one time. My DROT actually happened a week ago today!!!

It is my opinion that the DROT is much harder to accomplish.

I play by the rules, but is my opinion that the rules should be changed to where either DROT's count, or where Wedgie's don't (must be inside the basket or in chains). This would make things a little less confusing.

It is funny to see your opponents reaction when you get a Wedge shot and notify them that it counts!!! And then they get a DROT and you say "too bad, that one doesn't". And then they accuse you of making up rules and punch you in the fact.

And then they accuse you of making up rules and punch you in the face.

I corrected your spelling in my response and I must say . . . you have some really tough friends if they punch you in the face for telling them a rule!

Did you read the thread before waking it from it's slumber? :D

Welcome to DGCR by the way!

I thought this was going to say what if a disc lands on top of another disc....we play you get to kick the disc on top wherever you want

Holy zombie thread bump, Batman.

i didn't notice this was a 4 year old thread...and was really blown away by the stupidity of some posters not knowing the rules. Then I realized it was a 4 year old thread, and rules have changed.

I can't believe a "wedgie" was EVER legal, i never played those as legal, even though it seems they were for a long time. Never passed my BS test of "in the basket"

my old crew called it a "boswell". i still do. so does boswell.
While not the same thing as resting on top my friend and I came up rim job Ronnie when we hit the lip of the basket and it skips off. It's All very frustrating but at least coming up with goofy names helps ease the pain of missing a putt.