• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is an XB tier event and how does it work?

Its simply a B-tier that has some non-standard format, but one that the PDGA can still sanction. I think doubles events are XB's or XC's.

Depends on the reason for the X-tier. Doubles and mulligan formats can't be rated. Glow, non-standard payouts or charity events while still playing standard singles rules can be rated.

I believe you can only get points for X-tier events and ratings do not count. Like stated above, Sanctioned doubles tournaments, special rules (mulligans), or night rounds are what usually constitute X-Tier events.

I believe fundraiser tournaments under the Endowment Program are also X-tier (XC or XB). In some cases, the tournament is played like any other, but the payouts different because a portion goes to charity. Ratings are valid for these.

Another example of an X-tier is Match Play. No ratings for this.

Basically, if it has an "X" then it's something out of the ordinary. If you're considering playing an X-tier, check the flyer or TD to see what's going on.

I believe fundraiser tournaments under the Endowment Program are also X-tier (XC or XB). In some cases, the tournament is played like any other, but the payouts different because a portion goes to charity. Ratings are valid for these.

Another example of an X-tier is Match Play. No ratings for this.

Basically, if it has an "X" then it's something out of the ordinary. If you're considering playing an X-tier, check the flyer or TD to see what's going on.

I'm pretty sure you can get ratings for match play as long as you keep track of the strokes too.

Reason for me asking is I saw a tournament coming up called the Pickle Open in Sheboygan, WI which is a XB tier and was interested as to what the deal was.

I'm pretty sure you can get ratings for match play as long as you keep track of the strokes too.

Perhaps; I never thought of doing that. Among other things, in normal match play, once a match is clinched the players don't play out the remaining holes. At the least, it would be an invitation for tanking (unless some auxilliary prize was involved in stroke score).

We used to run a match play, single-elimination bracket tournament. I'm pretty sure points were awarded, but not ratings.

Tournaments under the Endowment Program do not have to be X-tier. The only difference between tournaments that are run under the endowment program and those that aren't is where the money goes. Instead of the $2 per player fee for a C-tier going to PDGA, you donate that to the charity and I think they want you to match that with additional donations.

Points and ratings are no different for Endowment tournaments than any regular tournament.

I sanction my event as x-tier because of home made baskets. The results have points and round ratings listed.

What are the C/B and B/C events? I've seen several of these on the tourney list. All I can think is maybe different division are in a different tier?

Last edited:
What are the C/B and B/C events? I've seen several of these on the tourney list. All I can think is maybe different division are in a different tier?

Exactly - We've done this locally a few times although I personally consider it a paperwork mess.

I sanction my event as x-tier because of home made baskets. The results have points and round ratings listed.

I've played the Goat Path events numerous times and although many baskets are homemade they catch well. Can get in the head mentally though and lead to missing a 1 foot putt! :)

Latest posts