• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Next for Golf Disc Manufacturers?

Jenga54

Double Eagle Member
What's the next Frontier for Disc Manufacturers?

Some data I put together from the PDGA Approved discs list below. There was a notable disc speed race from '82 to '88 and a plateau for over a decade, and another speed boom from 2000 to 2008 and here we sit for another decade.

I don't expect another speed boom, there doesn't seem to be a need, nor do I think they would work ergonomically for most everyone.

1964 - Wham-O /DTW make PDGA approved discs
1979 - 2nd and 3rd company with approved disc
1995 - 7th company with an approved disc
2005 - 11th company with an approved disc
2009 - 21st company with an approved disc
2018 - We now have 74 Unique companies with approved discs (as of this writing), with 1,071 Unique, PDGA Approved disc models

Companies are busy making tweaks of other similar molds, shooting every mold in every type of plastic for their fanbase, with ever new stamps and foils. Maybe there's no new frontier - but if there is, it would create some excitement and some cash. So what's NEXT?

The Top 10 Manufacturers by # of molds:
(144) Innova-Champion
(99) Discraft
(57) Latitude 64
(51) Disc Golf Association
(51) Gateway
(44) Wham-O
(43) Lightning Discs
(41) Prodigy Disc
(40) Westside
(34) MVP

zbiWqEI.png

No need for new discs (until Antigyro is patented).

Give me an affordable portable working tee pad!

No need for new discs (until Antigyro is patented).

Give me an affordable portable working tee pad!

Quest AT had antigyro a few years ago, the 10 Meter Crossfire and I believe the 10 Meter Brick. I doubt they patented it though, they didn't patent gyro. Wouldn't surprise me if MVP took the idea and patented it(they've done it been.)

In all honesty... A full proof basket. A man can dream, right?

Can't fool proof anything fools use ;)

Purposely not a basket discussion here, there are other dead horses around these parts.

Employing high tech gadgets inexpensively.

Ultra mini RF transponders coupled with any decent phone app would speed up play across the board, make most lost and found boxes obsolete, and help GLOW rounds.

Inexpensive embedded gps. Never lose a disc again.

TOBU did this, and nobody bought their discs.

Employing high tech gadgets inexpensively.

Ultra mini RF transponders coupled with any decent phone app would speed up play across the board, make most lost and found boxes obsolete, and help GLOW rounds.

I feel like passive RFID stickers would be pretty cheap and easy for the stickers. Ranges are pushing 30' now, problem I think is you need a good reader.
Upside, no need to plug in a disc, current downside is not PDGA legal. But who cares if your Rec Round bag has a couple RFID stickers. They already have LEDs and button batteries packing taped on.

Eventually, disc golfers will evolve past the 1990's and embrace equipment change.

I honestly don't think things will change much, unless money starts flowing into disc golf. And that's going to be a few years...or maybe MANY years from now. If ever.

... But who cares if your Rec Round bag has a couple RFID stickers. They already have LEDs and button batteries packing taped on.

I'm currently testing the MVP tri-LEDs for visibility in overcast/wet/dark conditions. They work well but I'm hoping for a tech upgrade sooner rather than later.

I think there's a video of Dave Dunipace saying the biggest breakthrough in disc design would be a distance driver with 0 turn and 0 fade. Like how a seasoned Teebird will just keep going straight.

I must say.. THIS is how you start a thread!

It may or may not be possible at all, but the frisbee scientists should develop a disc that flies like a boomerang, somehow.. the ultimate trick shot disc haha