• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best Merrell shoe choice?

I wore the regular Moab shoes daily for three years until I wore out the back of them. I like to slip them on & off without untying. Otherwise, they would've lasted a lot longer. I just replaced them with the Gore-Tex Moabs and I'm still breaking them in.

If you have an REI near you, I would recommend trying there. They usually have a good selection of Merrells, and their customer service is fantastic. If there's any issue with the shoes at all, they will replace them or have them repaired with no questions asked.

Yep. REI customer service makes it worth the possible extra $ IMHO. I got my Merrells there, and waited for a sale/clearance... so about 33% off... not great, but worth it for buying at REI instead of somewhere else. My previous disc golf shoes were North Face from a discount store, and when they fell apart really quickly, I had no recourse, and had to just get new shoes. If I had spent more and bought them at REI, they would have replaced them or given me other/better shoes.

there is a hush puppies outlet store between Cincy and Cbus that sells Merrells at kind discounts. The pair I got happened to not be marked down but many styles were 20% off.

I wore the regular Moab shoes daily for three years until I wore out the back of them. I like to slip them on & off without untying. Otherwise, they would've lasted a lot longer.

I'm bad about that too. I know it will tear them up but I just can't keep from just slipping them on without untying them.:|

I really like the look of the Merrells and my wife has a pair which she loves. I actually have had the same pair of Nike Air X-Trainers for at least six years. They have held up incredibly. I will probably have to find a replacement pretty soon though because they are on their last legs.

I used to work at REI, and I can speak to the quality of their customer service as well as the quality of Merrell shoes: both are great. Something else you may not know is that Merrell makes the shoes that REI puts their label on. I've got a pair of $120 REI hiking boots that are working great for me, though I probably wouldn't wear something that heavy on the dg course. When you're trying to decide what model you want to buy, make sure to try them on in the store and walk around in them before you decide. Even within a brand, different shoes will fit different feet differently. Go for the model that's most comfortable on your own feet. :)

I used to work at REI, and I can speak to the quality of their customer service as well as the quality of Merrell shoes: both are great. Something else you may not know is that Merrell makes the shoes that REI puts their label on. I've got a pair of $120 REI hiking boots that are working great for me, though I probably wouldn't wear something that heavy on the dg course. When you're trying to decide what model you want to buy, make sure to try them on in the store and walk around in them before you decide. Even within a brand, different shoes will fit different feet differently. Go for the model that's most comfortable on your own feet. :)

I'd add that you should spend some time walking around the store in any shoes you're really considering, and especially take advantage of inclines/rock beds that are available for testing out shoes. You want to make sure that the shoes will still feel great when you're walking up/down hills and over rough terrain as you will on many dg courses.

A couple more of questions.

1. Do the Chameleons stay more dry than the Moabs?
2. Some reviews say that the Chameleons sole is a little slippery. Is the Moab sole less slippery on wet surfaces?

A couple more of questions.

1. Do the Chameleons stay more dry than the Moabs?
2. Some reviews say that the Chameleons sole is a little slippery. Is the Moab sole less slippery on wet surfaces?

The Chameleon has smaller treads IIRC, so it could be a little more slippery. Both have Vibram soles, which is one of the least slippery soles you can get. I play all the time on wet surfaces, and almost never have any kind of issues slipping in my Moabs.

Chameleon sole is a little slippery -- more than I expected it would be, and a lot more than I could tell from the in-store rocks I tried them on.

Wet surfaces, mud, some teepads, etc -- turf is really bad -- can result in slippage. I've got some other shoes that do much better. Haven't tried the Moabs so I can't say how they do.

+1 buy at REI...best customer service in the Northern Hemisphere

Best Merrells on the market are actually made by a company named Keen....

...you'll thank me later.

These are great sandles. They stay on your foot very well, don't get slippery when wet, and are very durable. These are mt everyday shoes. Hiking and DG included.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Vie...1M/0/Mens/Chameleon-Cargo-Sport?galleryId=M-F

I also like these a lot. They are really comfortable and light, have good traction, and really fit your foot like a nice padded glove. Because of the tight fit, moisture doesn't escape the best...
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/9779M/0/Mens/Chameleon-II-Stretch?galleryId=M-F

+1 buy at REI...best customer service in the Northern Hemisphere

Best Merrells on the market are actually made by a company named Keen....

...you'll thank me later.

Keens are my other favorite brand. They may not be as durable, but they're at least as comfortable, if not more so. I once had a foot doctor tell me that Keens are the best shoes on the market in terms of foot ergonomics, and he recommended I even leave my Keen insoles in instead of replacing them with something aftermarket. I replace all my Merrell insoles with Superfeet, and wear the Keens just as they are. If you're shopping at REI for these brands, you're likely to find more Keen sandals and more Merrell hiking boots, though both make both kinds of shoe.

I love how comfortable Keens are, but they always feel so much heavier than a lot of the comparable brands. I owned one pair, and I just didn't feel like I could walk all day in them without feeling like they were made of lead at the end of the day.

Interesting. I've never noticed the weight, but I've always worn rather heavy shoes.

It's not a major deal, I just know that for some crazy people (like me :eek:), shoe weight matters. If it's not a big deal, then definitely keep Keen in mind.

After reading various reviews and everyone's posts here, I have came to the following conclusions...

1. If you choose any Gore-Tex Vibram Merrell shoe, you will not go wrong.
2. Gortex will shoes will be more hot in the summer.
3. Chameleon I is considered a slightly better shoe than the Chameleon II.
4. Chameleon soles are slightly more slick than the typical high dollar hiking shoes.
5. Moab is the most breathable and feels most like a standard tennis shoe.
6. Even though the Moab is more breathable, it is not any less water proof than either Chameleon.

Does anyone dispute any of the conclusions above?

After reading various reviews and everyone's posts here, I have came to the following conclusions...

1. If you choose any Gore-Tex Vibram Merrell shoe, you will not go wrong.

As long as you try it on first. If you order online before you try them on your feet, you're taking a gamble, no matter what brand it is.

The best pair of Merrell shoes aren't made by Merrell.

I say this only after having been a LOYAL and exclusive customer for over 12 years to the Merrell brand. I have found that over the years thier products became less and less reliable one purchase right after another. I came to the point of utter frustration, a point that forced me to look elsewhere for my footware. I am currently wearing a pair of Salomon XA Pro Ultra Goretex. I have been wearing them daily for 3 months now and and am very impressed so far. These shoes are very solid, I'm a big guy that is hard on my gear. I expect performance when I make a purchase like that and so far these shoes are delivering. Just thought you should know............

I've been through a few pairs of Moabs. They're priced right, they're comfortable, but I think that they get beat up quickly if you are playing regularly and especially if the course(s) that you are playing has cement tee pads.

I notice that the back of the heel ends up ripping - this last pair I have been very careful about pulling them off before untying - still getting the rips (could just be from wear and tear), the rubber around the toes where it meets the mesh starts to fail. I usually will wear them until the plastic in the heel becomes uncomfortable. etc. The old one's are worth keeping around in the event that you are playing multiple rounds in the rain, or tromping through creeks, it's nice to have a dry pair as a standby. For this reason, I will go out and get a new pair before the others are shot. I also use them for working out in the yard.

I wouldn't say that the Moab is very waterproof seeing as much of the shoe is mesh but they do allow the foot to breathe.