• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the most useful driving distance?

What is the perfect range for driving?

• Under 300'

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 300'-350'

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • 350'-400'

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • 400'-450'

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • 450'+

Votes: 26 20.2%

• Total voters
I play a lot, and I'm pretty serious about improving my short game, but that big D opens up new lines on shorter holes. If I can put it out to 450', then I can take that huge hyzer out around the trees on that 300' hole, while noodle-arm has to deal with the tiny window through the gut. Or put a putter out that distance because it will hold a better line.

this is very true. since ive been able to add distance ive discovered new lines i would have never considered. a big hyzer spike is a very useful shot. im also able to turn discs over that i never could before which allows me to shape some long distance lines i never could before. still need a short game to compliment it all though.

if the majority of your local courses max out at 350ish then it'd be ideal to be able to drive 350-400 so you don't always have to give it 110% to reach a 350' hole

Now imagine that you can reach those 350' shots with a fairway driver or even a mid. That makes them easier to stay accurate on, and less likely to have big skips at the end of the flight. You need close to 450' of distance to push your mids out to 350' in most cases.

You really couldn't ask a dumber question. All other things being equal, the guy who throws farther wins. Most people tend to think you need to throw harder to gain distance. That's not the case. You need to throw better. It's all technique.

I voted 350'-400' because of most of the courses I have played there may be a few holes over 400' but it is rare. I think if you throw this distance accurately then you can play almost every course out there. The only course I have played where most of the holes were 400'+ was Ozark Mtn in Vitchy, MO.

Now imagine that you can reach those 350' shots with a fairway driver or even a mid. That makes them easier to stay accurate on, and less likely to have big skips at the end of the flight. You need close to 450' of distance to push your mids out to 350' in most cases.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. It's not super helpful if you can throw a Boss or Nuke 400'+ if you're still struggling to throw putters 100', mids 200', and so on. If you can get every disc to ~ 300' or more it really opens up your options on a course.

When I got up to about 300', I started noticing that strokes were falling.
However, accuracy is more important.
If you can par all holes on a championship course, you'll never be a pro, but you'll be very successful at your local league and tourney play.
Spend your time on accuracy and putting, not driving distance.

Being that the question is what is the PERFECT range for driving distance, I would say +450'. Obviously, if you are facing a typical long par 3 and you can only drive 300' then you have almost no chance of the bird. This would not be perfect. Almost everyone agrees that distance without accuracy is hardly worth it, but theoretically the more distance the better if you can control it.

It depends on a lot of things like how good is your short game if you can reach the 400' but are 30+ feet left or right of the basket can you make the putt or are you going to have to lay up for the par? I am satisfied with my ~300ish drives with fairway drivers because for the most part I'm accurate and most holes around here aren't more then 350' so I'm in good shape. Being a rec player and all.

But like others have said if you can throw a distance drive 450'+ then you are throwing fairways, mids, and putters for 90% of holes and slower discs should mean more accurate
I get frustrated cuz my buddy that i play with most of the time throws putters on holes where im throwing fairways, but i tend to be accurate so its all good

Until a few years ago, I was throwing 325' or so with fairly good accuracy. I injured myself and now restrict my throws to about 225'. (I can throw further but the pain isn't worth it.) I still throw a pretty good round. My point is, you don't really need a big arm to have a successful round. What I've lost in distance I've tried to make up for in accuracy and in playing smarter. It works pretty well. Yeah "championship" courses kill me but I'm out there more for the fun of throwing pretty lines than for the score. And as Ed said, "The one who has the most fun wins."

Do you honestly think that golfers should practice until they reach a 450' benchmark?

I believe golfers should never stop practicing. Ever.

....reaching 350' is enough to compete on most courses?

It most certainly is. 350' is well above the average hole distance on most of the courses I have played. If you are throwing 350' accurately, you are certainly competing.

Also, a 350' thrower is getting enough snap on their throw to have discs behave properly (aside from some warp speed drivers) and be able to use the nuances of release to enhance their accuracy.

350' is a great level to maintain, for anyone who's doesn't play only to compete in tournaments.

350 ft. is enough for most holes on most courses.

Accuracy is more important IMO.

i think that since most holes out there are between 250-450, id say that having a super-consistent 350 foot drive should be a good practice reference, right?

I believe golfers should never stop practicing. Ever.

Agreed. I feel that if I can get drives 350' and get them there accurately (which I cannot do yet) then at that point I would stop being so concerned with my distance and start working more on putts, which seems to me gets overlooked in the hunt for Big D

I do concede that having a 450'+ would be nice for the long holes though! I mean if you can hit 445' on a 450' hole with accuracy then a 5 foot drop in is a much better bet than my 335' > 115' approach > putt.

deBebbler: You still headed this way? I seem to remember you saying you might play a few of the local courses around here.

Im gonna hit 450+ so that 350 holes are mid shots.

personal choice, but I want to be the best I can in all facets of my disc golf game, and that means not giving up on getting that big D

You really couldn't ask a dumber question. All other things being equal, the guy who throws farther wins.

You really couldn't make a dumber statement.

All other things being equal? You mean like individual skill with finesse lines, flex shots, long controlled anny's, thumbers/tommys, spike hyzers, rollers, forehands, putting consistancy and accuracy...to name a few aspects of the game?

To suggest that Mr. X will beat someone on any given round because he can out distance them in an open field by 20 feet is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Latest posts