• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the next step for disc golf coverage?

oldmandiscer

Banned
Just a little idea I had to increase revenue for players and film operators.

I see Jomez and others are making a pretty good living filming disc golf and DGN is working on live paid coverage as well. But the other big money earner is youtube as well.

Youtube/Google is a mega corporation that is making a lot of money and I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage cut they take is very large.

Why not have next day coverage on a specific website then two days later shift the rest to youtube to pick up more casual viewers? Now they are making even more money by cutting out youtube they can still have built in ads and sponsors for profit but now much of that youtube/google money is going back into disc golf, not to google.

At some point Jomez and others should be paying the tournament themselves for the rights to film, then that tournament can give all or a portion back into the purse for the players thus making the events even bigger.

Your thoughts? Do you have another idea to increase payouts while keeping the product "free" with commercials of course.

Does Jomez have a say or take a cut of advertising revenue, or is that something that Google / Youtube inserts into the videos and keeps 100% of advertising revenue. Just wondering how that all works.

Does Jomez have a say or take a cut of advertising revenue, or is that something that Google / Youtube inserts into the videos and keeps 100% of advertising revenue. Just wondering how that all works.

Ads get served at random to viewers based on their browsing history, YouTube takes ~45% of the ad revenue based on what I've heard/read. Most channels that take YouTube seriously and have good analytics and watch time that I've seen talk about how much they make have said $4~$7/1,000 views is pretty average. If you make your videos specifically like the algorithm and the ad system likes (over 10 minutes in length + having midroll ads in your videos) you can make more but it's not super common. For most big YouTubers, though, they make more money from actually ads they do in the video over what they make off YouTube ads, especially with anything related to politics, violent video games, etc that regularly will get demonetized by YouTubes automatic system.

Last edited:
Ads get served at random to viewers based on their browsing history...

Are you sure? All I get are videos for "male enhancement" products.

I keep getting Gillette and Disney ads. Given the infinitesimal probability that I will consume products from either of these, this is proof to me that the youtube browser algorithms are very dumb.

Ju

Youtube/Google is a mega corporation that is making a lot of money and I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage cut they take is very large.

Why not have next day coverage on a specific website then two days later shift the rest to youtube to pick up more casual viewers? Now they are making even more money by cutting out youtube they can still have built in ads and sponsors for profit but now much of that youtube/google money is going back into disc golf, not to google.

At some point Jomez and others should be paying the tournament themselves for the rights to film, then that tournament can give all or a portion back into the purse for the players thus making the events even bigger.
You're missing the fact the Google/YouTube has the server space to hold and distribute all of this coverage. The small media companies would spend more on server space for their own platform than what YT is currently taking.

I see Jomez and others are making a pretty good living filming disc golf and DGN is working on live paid coverage as well. But the other big money earner is youtube as well.

Your thoughts? Do you have another idea to increase payouts while keeping the product "free" with commercials of course.

I imagine a contract like you envision already exists.

You're missing the fact the Google/YouTube has the server space to hold and distribute all of this coverage. The small media companies would spend more on server space for their own platform than what YT is currently taking.

Even if they banded together? You have Jomez, CCDG, Parsave, GK Pro and a bunch others. All I know is that Youtube is a Multi Billion dollar subsidiary of Google and it's worth BILLIONS for a reason. They make lots and lots of money.

I can't believe the costs would outweigh the rewards. I mean there are many millions of videos on youtube which provide zero monetization for them as well. I've got video's on there from 15 years ago doing nothing but taking up space.

I think that advertising directly to disc golfers as well would be much more logical as well instead of sending me Febreeze or whatever crap they keep shoving on me. Like I'm going to buy Febreeze. Do they think I'm a stinky person? lol

I imagine a contract like you envision already exists.

I've heard that Jomez was charging tournaments themselves before just to show up, not the other way around. I don't know what is true now or if it was smaller tourneys that were doing that but that seemed backwards to me.

Even if they banded together? You have Jomez, CCDG, Parsave, GK Pro and a bunch others. All I know is that Youtube is a Multi Billion dollar subsidiary of Google and it's worth BILLIONS for a reason. They make lots and lots of money.

I can't believe the costs would outweigh the rewards. I mean there are many millions of videos on youtube which provide zero monetization for them as well. I've got video's on there from 15 years ago doing nothing but taking up space.

I think that advertising directly to disc golfers as well would be much more logical as well instead of sending me Febreeze or whatever crap they keep shoving on me. Like I'm going to buy Febreeze. Do they think I'm a stinky person? lol

Do some research on website hosting and server space.
It's really Amazon that has the essential monopoly on hosting right now, I'm pretty sure that YT even uses them.
Sure they could team up, but then they would reduce revenue while not really cutting costs, since they would presumably keep everyone on staff. So in the end this would be bad for most of the people involved.

The upfront work and cost would also be large to create a whole new website. Then there's the matter of maintenance, which right now is the responsibility of YT, falling onto the heads of the media companies.
Essentially, they would need to hire an entire team to build and run the website, adding even more cost.
Diving this deep into it, I'd wager the benefits of being on a global platform like YT far outweigh any cut they take

YouTube makes money because they supply the ads. If Jomez were to host on some other website, they wouldn't have the ads at all and would make zero money. Splitting money with the supplier is better than not making money at all.

As for their built-in ads (Innova, Discraft, Bushnell, etc), those don't have anything to do with YouTube or Google. Innova paid Jomez money for an ad spot, Jomez rendered the ad directly into the video, YouTube doesn't even know it exists.

And yes, at some point Jomez and others should be paying for filming rights. Right now there's just not quite enough money to make a fuss about it. None of the media companies can afford to give the tournament more than a few hundred dollars per round.

Ways to make more money:
Get more viewers to increase the ad revenue from YouTube/Google.
Get more viewers and charge more money for built-in ads.

Do some research on website hosting and server space.
It's really Amazon that has the essential monopoly on hosting right now, I'm pretty sure that YT even uses them.
Sure they could team up, but then they would reduce revenue while not really cutting costs, since they would presumably keep everyone on staff. So in the end this would be bad for most of the people involved.

The upfront work and cost would also be large to create a whole new website. Then there's the matter of maintenance, which right now is the responsibility of YT, falling onto the heads of the media companies.
Essentially, they would need to hire an entire team to build and run the website, adding even more cost.
Diving this deep into it, I'd wager the benefits of being on a global platform like YT far outweigh any cut they take

Some already have websites, as far as server space maybe they do have a monopoly basically which is why I am asking if other options are viable and make sense. Maybe monopolies work well? lol

Last edited:
YouTube makes money because they supply the ads. If Jomez were to host on some other website, they wouldn't have the ads at all and would make zero money. Splitting money with the supplier is better than not making money at all.

As for their built-in ads (Innova, Discraft, Bushnell, etc), those don't have anything to do with YouTube or Google. Innova paid Jomez money for an ad spot, Jomez rendered the ad directly into the video, YouTube doesn't even know it exists.

And yes, at some point Jomez and others should be paying for filming rights. Right now there's just not quite enough money to make a fuss about it. None of the media companies can afford to give the tournament more than a few hundred dollars per round.

Ways to make more money:
Get more viewers to increase the ad revenue from YouTube/Google.
Get more viewers and charge more money for built-in ads.

I'm saying that Jomez creates more ads and sponsors which they already do which are disc golf specific.

I've heard that Jomez was charging tournaments themselves before just to show up, not the other way around. I don't know what is true now or if it was smaller tourneys that were doing that but that seemed backwards to me.

It's all dependent on number of views. If you're a small media company, or the tournament is small, or the big-name players aren't there, then you're not going to get enough views to cover your costs. If you get 10,000 views on a video, then you're going to lose more money in transportation, lodging, and labor than you'll get through advertisement. If you get 100,000 views per video, you might break even. If you get 500,000 views per video, you'll probably make a profit. (I made those numbers up - I don't know what the real break-even point is.)

10 years ago, video producers made video as a labor of love. They probably lost money, but that's how business works sometimes (lose money while you're growing a customer base with the hopes of making it up later) . If a TD really wanted video coverage, they could hire a video team to film their event. This is how it still works for most non-elite tournaments. If the TD doesn't pay, then the video crews can't afford to film.

Recently, some of the channels are getting 100,000+ views per video. This finally brings in enough money that they can afford to film at zero cost to the TD. Eventually they'll actually make enough of a profit that they can afford to pay for filming rights. We're on the cusp of this, but it's not very significant yet.

It's all dependent on number of views. If you're a small media company, or the tournament is small, or the big-name players aren't there, then you're not going to get enough views to cover your costs. If you get 10,000 views on a video, then you're going to lose more money in transportation, lodging, and labor than you'll get through advertisement. If you get 100,000 views per video, you might break even. If you get 500,000 views per video, you'll probably make a profit. (I made those numbers up - I don't know what the real break-even point is.)

10 years ago, video producers made video as a labor of love. They probably lost money, but that's how business works sometimes (lose money while you're growing a customer base with the hopes of making it up later) . If a TD really wanted video coverage, they could hire a video team to film their event. This is how it still works for most non-elite tournaments. If the TD doesn't pay, then the video crews can't afford to film.

Recently, some of the channels are getting 100,000+ views per video. This finally brings in enough money that they can afford to film at zero cost to the TD. Eventually they'll actually make enough of a profit that they can afford to pay for filming rights. We're on the cusp of this, but it's not very significant yet.

They are making a lot more then you think. Remember they have in video ads as well not to mention the videos are 45 minutes long with several ads, not your normal 10 minute youtube video. I know Brodie was talking about it that they are making way more then you think.

They also have like 6 or 8 full time employees. They're making a lot, but they also spend a lot.