• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and Youtube

Al Dente

Par Member
Over the past year, the number of advertising interruptions on Youtube have grown in both frequency and length and have become insufferable. I had become a regular viewer of disc golf content in recent years, but I believe that I will be changing my habits. I turned on some coverage this morning and it began with 2 commercials, and then Youtube interrupted the coverage after every 2 holes for 2 more commercials. :wall: Hey Google! I don't care that you paid too much for Youtube. You're not making your problem my problem.

I now feel about Youtube as I once did Comcast when I cut the cable all those years ago due to expensive monthly fees and endless commercials. It would be nice if the disc golf content providers started their own platform and aggregated their content there. I'd be willing to pay a small monthly membership. As for now, it's the end of the season and a good time to change my habits. I'll miss you Jomez, CCDG, etc.

Just install uBlock Origin in your browser, it blocks out youtube ads, and most other annoying ads as well. I couldn't imagine surfing the web without an ad blocker, all the ads are unbearably intrusive IMO

Can you walk me through the process to do this on my Sony television? Thanks.

I hate to skip ads because watching the entire thing pays the creators more $, but gd these are getting crazy. The GKPro skins match had a 34 min ad run for me during a 38 minute video. Sorry guys, have to skip 'em when it's every other hole or worse.

Just install uBlock Origin in your browser, it blocks out youtube ads, and most other annoying ads as well. I couldn't imagine surfing the web without an ad blocker, all the ads are unbearably intrusive IMO

Thank you for the advice Wims. I do most of my watching on a Roku television.
I have to admit that as a consumer/end user I am quite stubborn. If I have to find a work around for someone's poor product I just cease to be their customer.

Last edited:
YouTube is getting bad about ads in general. If it wasn't bad, there wouldn't be any reason to upgrade to the premium version for $$ a month. It's annoying, but makes sense from a business sense.

Over the past year, the number of advertising interruptions on Youtube have grown in both frequency and length and have become insufferable. I had become a regular viewer of disc golf content in recent years, but I believe that I will be changing my habits. I turned on some coverage this morning and it began with 2 commercials, and then Youtube interrupted the coverage after every 2 holes for 2 more commercials. :wall: Hey Google! I don't care that you paid too much for Youtube. You're not making your problem my problem.

I now feel about Youtube as I once did Comcast when I cut the cable all those years ago due to expensive monthly fees and endless commercials. It would be nice if the disc golf content providers started their own platform and aggregated their content there. I'd be willing to pay a small monthly membership. As for now, it's the end of the season and a good time to change my habits. I'll miss you Jomez, CCDG, etc.
Google bought YouTube 15 years ago... I'm not sure the cost of YouTube to them is why they've been increasing the advertising costs. I think it has more to do with the fact that they've determined people will tolerate it, and the amount of money they can make off of the ads will be more than the amount of money they lose from losing viewers like yourself.

Google bought YouTube 15 years ago... I'm not sure the cost of YouTube to them is why they've been increasing the advertising costs. I think it has more to do with the fact that they've determined people will tolerate it, and the amount of money they can make off of the ads will be more than the amount of money they lose from losing viewers like yourself.

Hell is other consumers.

I really hate it when Youtube injects two ads into the middle of an embedded disc golf ad. I wanna hear what Danny/Uli/Kona, etc. is telling me to buy.

The reason for the increase in ads is to get subscribers:

I finally broke down and signed up for Youtube premium.

It is GLORIOUS!!! :) :)

I hate the ads, too.

...but it the amount of content that we can access 24/7 without additional money out of pocket is unbelievable. I've saved so much money learning to fix things. I've probably make tens of thousands of dollars from what I've learned watching excel and project management software tutorials, etc, etc, etc.

Pay for premium or hit skip ads every couple minutes.

Yep. Hitting skip ads has become 2nd nature to me.

...but every so often, they force a some ads down your throat where skipping them's not even an option.

I mean it's not any worse than TV networks.

That said, I've ve become so used to watching stuff from my DVR and feeding through commercials, that's it's kinda painful to actually have to sit through ads when I'm watching live TV.

I remember waiting for ads to take a leak.
Those days are gone.

I hate the ads, too.

...but it the amount of content that we can access 24/7 without additional money out of pocket is unbelievable. I've saved so much money learning to fix things. I've probably make tens of thousands of dollars from what I've learned watching excel and project management software tutorials, etc, etc, etc.

Pay for premium or hit skip ads every couple minutes.

I must agree with the above. I will accept the commercials for the tutorials I occasionally watch. I just won't be viewing Youtube for pleasure.