• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your Achilles heel on the course?

other people with awful whiny attitudes

When I play by myself I stay pretty level even if I'm not playing well. People who cry about every bad shot they throw put me on tilt

over competitiveness... I do this for fun, relaxation, and exercise... when ppl I'm with start getting all worked up over the score and score keeping it can distract me from my true purpose... I can get a mental block and then lose focus...
For this reason, I am selective about who I play with...

other people with awful whiny attitudes

When I play by myself I stay pretty level even if I'm not playing well. People who cry about every bad shot they throw put me on tilt

Agreed with this as well.

My best rounds are always solo. Most of the people whom I play with more than a few times a year with aren't too bad, but sometimes really get me spinning for a few holes. I generally avoid league play and tourneys though because my cardmates usually throw me off enough that I am always 3-6 shots over my average.

Great question.

Tournament play: mental game, in general. Specifically, maintaining concentration/focus/grind. My game is my game - I'm not going to improve my technical skills during a tournament round. The only aspect of my game that I can control during tournament play is my ability to concentrate/focus/grind. I get my best results when I'm able to tune out all the inevitable distractions that will occur during a round. It was when I started accepting and anticipating the inevitability of these distractions that I began weathering them better and better. In my limited experience, these distractions almost always come from people - players on my card. I guess I'm not a very good multi-tasker because I just can't be social during a tournament round and play to win at the same time.

Non-tournament play: my unwillingness to do enough concentrated field work to improve my technical skills. I chalk this up to wanting to spend my non-tournament time just playing relaxed, fun, mellow rounds with my buds. Or spending too much time on DGCR. Either way, I'm fine with it.

For me it's "the lie" of the disc. For some reason I have the weirdest, strangest, luck when it comes to where my disc ultimately comes to a rest...after a great looking throw. It might land right behind a tree, or on a few rocks making my stance off balance, etc, etc, anything just to make my approach shot a real pain in the a$$. And it happens...time...after time.

hey I resemble this comment, lol. I have often on the course made a joke something like this:

"Hey where do you think your disc is?"

Me, "Dunno, look behind the biggest tree, or under the thickest honeysuckle.":\

I have two things that I have trouble with. The first is distractions from other players on the card. I have one friend who constantly walks in front of other players on the fairway and during putting. He's been told several times about it but he's oblivious. It throws me off. But he's a good friend and everyone puts up with it because we don't want to quit playing with him. I'll just have to deal with it.

The other is grip. My hands sweat (always have) so when it's humid I can really struggle. I've tried birdie bags ( always lose them) and a few other things. My latest is a glove, which does help quite a bit.

I play my best when I play at my pace. Now my pace is generally quicker than most people because I make very few errors and I am only one person. I am not the fastest person out there but I get flustered and out of rhythm when I have to wait on other people. I want to drop my bag, take my shot pickup my bag and then move on. There are times when I will throw my disc, turn around and get my bag and be moving before my shot lands. This is why I try to play a course when there are the fewest people around. I will even jump forward and play some other holes and then come back to were I was and finish up.

Rate of play is a biggie. Slow is a no go.

Also, point of release (which really means consistent throws). I can throw over 425 feet...sometimes...and not always towards the basket.

It's either the drive, the approach or the putt. sometimes i can't find parking.

Once a bird **** on me before I threw.

Also, allergies, aliens, terrorists and the color blue.

Backhand upshots (120-220ish) with mids. I can't fan grip for the life of me, something with my timing/release. I would much rather be 300 ft out with a comfortable power grip.

Mine is letting small things effect my game. Feel a gust of wind right bedore I putt, should I switch putters? Spin the putter more?

Just got to shake those little things off.
Not so much putting for me, but on the tee. If I'm even in my run up and feel something odd I get freaked out.

Pace of play kills me. Both if I am slowed down and if I'm feeling rushed.

These 2 things right here are going to be the friggin death of me. I swear. One time in a tourney I was sitting in 2nd going in to the final round. I gained 2 strokes on the leader in the first 3 holes to pass him and I was still going hot. After like 7 holes I had 4 strokes on him..then...backups. Waiting at each tee for 10-12 minutes or more killed me. I ended up only pulling it out by a stroke. I was clearly on a good streak that got shot down by the backups.

In no particular order...

Point of release
Rushing shots unnecessarily
An uncanny ability to graze trees just enough to throw a well executed shot off by 30 degrees in the worst possible direction

I'm not a big thrower, but this actually doesn't bother me. If I am throwing well, I'll gladly work my way up a fairway than out of bad lies.

I do excel at putting the last shot behind me though. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm a teepad nazi. It just gets under my skin when places don't have good teepads. That messes with my mental game and then I have a hard time relaxing and playing a good round. It's probably the first thing I notice when playing a new course. There's a little checklist in my mind like this: 1. are they flat?, 2. are they large enough for a standard runup?, and 3. do they provide good traction? I've played 75 courses and I think I could tell you what the tee situation is at most of those.