• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your Bag Size, and Why?

How many discs do you carry? (multiple choice if Tourney bag and Casual bag differ)

• Total voters
Right now I have 14 discs in the bag, including back ups. I play by myself a lot, and I like to be able to rethrow shots with the same mold, either to try and correct my mistakes or to replicate a successful shot. Without duplicates, I could whittle it down to 11 or so, including a mistprint DX Stringray I only throw on holes with water hazards.

I have been considering bumping up to a larger bag than my Fade Crunch solely to carry more multiples - I'd love to have the room to carry, say, 5 Underworlds if I want just to retry shots over and over again. Or 6 putters for putting practice without having to rejig the bag.

I carry between 17-20 discs every round with no multiples. Each disc I have has its own unique characteristics and I really enjoy trying to use them for very specific jobs. For example, I carry a z glow zone and a pig. I could really get away with one or the other but in reality they each do something uniquely better than the other so I enjoy seeing them do their 'own' thing. It's a fun factor thing for me and for whatever reason I like the uniqueness of each and every disc that I have.

My philosophy is to carry 7 discs. But I'm carrying 13-14.

The 7 are not model-specific, but are
- very overstable driver
- slightly overstable driver
- slightly understable driver
- very understable driver
- overstable midrange
- understable midrange
- putter

I'm not model-specific, especially on drivers, as it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me which ones I use in a given category. If my "slightly overstable driver" gets lost or beat in to understable or just falls out of my favor, I'll find an entirely different disc in that category that suits me.

I carry a larger bag in part to carry more liquid. I carry multiple discs of different models in some of these categories for several reasons

- I frequently play a course with great lost-disc potential.
- In tournaments, I want to be able to replace a key disc if lost, even where losses are unlikely.
- In playing casual, sometimes I want to take a 2nd or 3rd shot on a hole, particularly the first hole, and need some overlap.
- I'm trying out something new along with my tried-&-true.
- I have 2 putters. I use them in different putting situations, though it's not necessary. It's also more convenient for practice putting.

This explains my philosophy well, except I like to carry 10 molds. In addition to the types of molds above I also carry:

An extremely overstable driver too fast for my arm
A very overstable midrange
An overstable putter

It gets very windy sometimes in Texas, so very overstable discs are frequently required to maintain control.

I find 16 discs to be a good number for me. It could be less, but I personally like having a separate disc for forehand (don't throw too often), overhand, and rollers. Also, I have two putters (Proton Ion and Neutron Anode). They're similar, but I like to putt with the proton plastic, and drive with the neutron plastic. Then, I have one driver in my bag that I rarely throw that's for a "danger" shot over water. If I lose it, it's not a big deal, but I still know how it flies. So, I could definitely drop 4 discs from my bag, but I figure why?

In all: 23. I keep saying I need to thin the herd, but I never do.
I reality I typically throw about 8-12 in any given round, but about half of those vary depending on the course.

I play three different set-ups, mainly for practice with alternate disc options: one primary mixed bag for tourneys, and all-Discraft and all-Latitude bags for something different (I haven't tried an all-Innova bag for a couple of years.. maybe soon). I put 13-14 discs in an Innova Standard bag. My philosophy? Throw stuff I am comfortable with that cover the varying ranges of stability and distance. During the course of a round, I will use about half of my discs, but it always depends on the situation. Sure, there is a lot of overlap in these setups, but for me, it's about feel: what disc *feels* right in the moment?

Tourney Setup: SS VooDoo (putter), R-Pro Rhyno (driving putter), Z Glo Zone (utility/approach/flick), Cryztal Buzzz SS, Z Glo Buzzz, Ti Wasp, Z Hornet, GL Trident, Champ Glow Leopard, Star Teebird, GL Saint, Star Firebird, Champ Wraith, Champ XCaliber

All-Discraft Setup: Soft Focus, Z Glo Zone, ESP Meteor, Cryztal Buzzz SS, Z Glo Buzzz, Z Hornet, Cryztal FLX Drone, Z XL, ESP Cyclone, Z Glo Stalker, Z Glo Nuke, Z Crush, Z Nuke OS

All-Latitude Setup: Zero Pure, Opto Pure, GL Fuse, GL Core, Opto Core, GL Pain, GL Trident, GL River, GL Saint (X2), Opto XXX, GL Flow, GL Halo, GL Villain

The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.

I bet most top pros only throw about that many discs per tourney. All the other discs they carry are back-ups and rarely used specialty stuff.

Your right! The only reason I carry 18 is so that I can throw multiple shots per hole. I can only get out twice a week so I kind of play 3 rounds in one when I do play. I could play most courses with 6 discs.

The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.
^This. I carry 18 discs, but only 7 different molds. I just like to have back-ups in general, competition or not.

I pack my Physical Flight Contender full. 23 in the main compartment, 1 on each side and 2-3 putters up top pocket... that's 30 and I sometimes put a couple more in the top compartment if needed.

My philosophy is to never say, "darn, I wish I had that disc with me"... and even that happened yesterday when I forgot that there would be a Millenium only CTP.

My new goal it to cut down the number of different molds. None are duplicate currently, so I'll be taking out some for backups.

Champion Starfire and a beat Roc. That's usually it. Sometimes I'll carry a Champion Eagle or a random putter but typically I just putt with the Roc.

In a Crunch Box Right Now

2 Sidewinders - both max d. 1 Light Champ and 1 Heavy Star
2 Eagles - X mold, 1 champ and 1 dx
1 Timberwolf - main driver
1 Leopard - pro

1 buzzz - elite Z
1 Flying Squirrel - 155g Goldline, yolo shots
1 Zone - esp, os
3 Judges - 2 classic, 1 fuzion

I guess I wish I had a little more stable mid to compliment this setup.

Playing casual rounds, I like to test new molds, and try new shots, so I carry a few more discs. But for tourney rounds, I carry 20-25 discs depending on the course
3 cobras
1 sentinels
1 obex
4 or 5 teebirds
2 flicks
1 spirit
2 wraiths
1 destroyer
1 lace
3 PnA Aviars
1 condor
1 Premium Jokeri

atm im going with my innova shoulder bag, carrying 9 disc and 2 beers, easier on my back. usually i bust out either my innova tourney bag or GB silverback for tournys but today i used the shoulder bag and did really well.

i dont really think bagging multiple molds means that some of the discs have to be backups.. do you guys really lose and leave that many discs?

i dont really think bagging multiple molds means that some of the discs have to be backups.. do you guys really lose and leave that many discs?

Lose, not leave.

One course I play casually a lot, and a couple of courses I play tourneys at every year, offer many opportunities to lose discs in water hazards. Best to have a couple of spares.

But that's if you would otherwise only carry a small number. If you're carrying 15+, there should be something else that will suffice, if not exactly a backup.

I carried 18 discs for years. I've backed that off to 16 in the last year. All but two I believe saw at least one throw this past weekend.

Occasionally, I will carry overlapping molds (or two runs of the same mold) to see which one is working better. Eventually, the one that isn't working makes its way out of the bag.

I carry 19 in my grip bag. I feel like it's the perfect setup for me wherever I decide to play. I tend to carry a lot of judges, comets, and PDs because I especially like to get practice in with those discs more than any others.

I carry 24.
Do I need all of them? Probably not.
Do I use all of them? Yes.
I like being prepared for most any course no matter the weather.
Also, it's nice to have a few extras in case of a dangerous water hole or in case there are some kids who want to try and play a round but don't have any discs.

I Carry 12. The 3, 9 basket courses I play each start really close to parking and I swap discs in and out depending on conditions or my mood. Except my putters, I've finally settled on TM2 Pure and Zero Hard Sinus.

Latest posts