• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What kind of conditions do y'all play in?

south.texas.dead.i

Bogey Member
I'm here in south texas on padre and was thinking about playing later today I checked the weather and right now at noon it's blowing 24mph and it seems calm. 75degrees with 84% humidity. Mainly interested in the wind as I cannot figure out how to play in it yet

A foot of snow officially seems more in places, only 15 MPH now average has mostly been 22 MPH with gusts of 50 % more and the temp is changing now less at night it was 14F. In previous winters i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright with feet touching each other. And in way colder conditions. Good layers of clothing and thermos are a must but it is healthy to have another backup source of warmth. Chemical or electrical source. Now i have both for the first time.

I've played in just about any conditions - hot, windy, cold, snow, rain, tropical depresssion (did that at wildcat springs last season)...

The only way to get used to playing in the wind is to play more in the wind. You can never get better in bad conditions if you don't actually play in bad conditions.

JR said:
. . . i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright . . .
This is why I always wear pants in the snow . . . :wink:

To the OP: victorb is right - I hated the wind until I figured out which discs could handle the wind, and how to throw them. I still do not enjoy playing in the wind, but experience helps a lot.

Forehand is really useful in side winds when you need to keep the wind from getting under the flight plate.

Monocacy said:
JR said:
. . . i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright . . .
This is why I always wear pants in the snow . . . :wink:

To the OP: victorb is right - I hated the wind until I figured out which discs could handle the wind, and how to throw them. I still do not enjoy playing in the wind, but experience helps a lot.

Forehand is really useful in side winds when you need to keep the wind from getting under the flight plate.

Oh snap is that why the others are using pants? I'm an ice swimmer. Meaning you make a hole in the ice in a lake, sea or river and jump in...

i live in va so we play in it all, rain, snow, wind, cold and heat. we truely are a four season state.

We have some rain in the rainy season, which we do indeed play in, but other than that it is sunny and nice all year. The courses in Monterey get pretty windy at times, it's a great opportunity to practice one's wind game, which I really enjoy.

A blizzard today. One hole played right into the teeth of the storm. I couldn't actually look down the fairway because the snow was so thick and biting and wet it was instantly blinding so I looked down at the tee pad and imagined where the fairway probably was and threw it. After I released the drive I looked up and saw... nothing but a white out. Then I hurried down the fairway hoping to find the disc before it became totally covered in snow.

My drive was only 30 feet from the basket. By the time I got to it it was covered in snow. If the disc was not a bright color I might not have found it.

Rain and puddles 90% of the time, excellent weather the rest of the year (live in the Portland, Oregon area).