• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what kind of sandpaper for getting out annoying nicks?

thisislorenb

Birdie Member
I'm just curious what kinda sand paper is best for gettin out those annoying nicks and lil gouges I've never gotten a definitive answer for this but never looked either. using a lighter to smooth stuff out works for bigger gouges for me but even after that id like to sand away the goofy lil slighly melted spot

If it's a ding from a basket or something that just notches the edge, and a flap is still there, I usually use a lighter underneath the flap and melt it back onto the disc. Sometimes sand it afterwards with really fine paper.

uh illegal

You can sand out ding scratches and gouges in an attempt to return back to original state it's not illegal. I carry a dry wall sanding block with the med grit and fine grit in my bag. The spongy block is easy to keep in your bag and use when you get those burrs or other scratches you want to buff out.

802.01 Discs Used In Play
C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.
1000 grit sandpaper.

I know a guy who reweighed his disc after years of sanding out the dings. It was 125 after all that sanding.

801.02 Discs Used in Play

A.
Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

B.
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

C.
A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal.

D.
A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

E.
A player who throws an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

F.
All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc. Each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw.

Edit: got beat to posting the rule

I knew for a fact its not illegal that's why i asked thank u very much and cus the sand paper i had lying around the shop at work did no good

Last edited:
I carry around an old piece of carpet that I got when redoing an office, it works great for small imperfections.

uh no

Welcome to the community. You've done us a great service by presenting yourself to us like you did - now we know that you know nothing of the rules.

I could have flamed him better than that!:p

I picked up a nice 5X thrower and hit the couple of nicks with 80 grit. I just try to knock the rough edges down. But after reading what some of you do I may get out the finer sandpaper and polish and see if I can get some of the pretty back into my women. Somehow I think it may be a waste of time though as I (on a RARE occasions) hit something with my discs. So I'm sure in 15-20 min it will have more scuffs.:D

Keep a small piece of green Scotch pad in your bag, and a small piece of Fine metal grit paper - the black stuff. Both work well to smooth things out with no flight alteration of consequence.