• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What molds have you tried this year and rejected?

Haha wow you guys must be quite the discerning crowd. It's weird to see so many popular discs being regarded as unworthy. Although I'll go ahead and follow the motif...

The Firebird. Not just any Firebird- the notorious "flat top 12x Champion" variety. This disc was so stupidly overstable that I struggled to get it out past 200 feet. It would hook immediately after leaving my hand unless thrown on a ridiculous anhyzer. It was a glorified brick; not really the kind of overstable driver I was looking for ("driver" being used loosely here).

I'm willing to try a domey Star FB or even give DX a shot, but my experience with that flat Firebird was unbelievable. I've never thrown such a massively overstable disc in my life.

The Firebird. Not just any Firebird- the notorious "flat top 12x Champion" variety. This disc was so stupidly overstable that I struggled to get it out past 200 feet. It would hook immediately after leaving my hand unless thrown on a ridiculous anhyzer. It was a glorified brick; not really the kind of overstable driver I was looking for ("driver" being used loosely here).

I'm willing to try a domey Star FB or even give DX a shot, but my experience with that flat Firebird was unbelievable. I've never thrown such a massively overstable disc in my life.

I picked up a Star Firebird today. Some of the courses in my area really call for a super overstable driver, and I tried for a long time to make do with other discs. (plus, it's the windy season.) Haven't thrown it too much yet, but I like what I see so far, especially for sidearm.

I tried;

Trident
Stilletto
Backdraft
Vein
Giant
Harp
Yao
Gui
Hu
Da'E
Touch

That I liked

Rampage
Pure
D4
D2
P2
Drone

That I didn't love

z predator- I got firebirds
400 f1- super beef not needed currently
400 f5- more stable than my f3
400 pa4- proto didn't turn hardly
opto stiletto- super shallow
kc aviar- not straight enough when broken in
saint- too fast
mamba- got too flippy
z cyclone- not as overstable as expected
roadrunner- not a speed disc I need
star aviar- feels awful for throwing and putting
roc3- not as good as wasps
vector- ^^
400 f7- way too flippy
400 d5- mines really stable..
300 m4- not a disc I need
dx leopard- I learned rollers with more overstable discs
tern- rim too shallow
400 f3- teebirds got flippy enough for me
wizard- too shallow, yetis are better
judge- ^^

I see I'm not the only one keeping disc companies in business. But the good news is my bag is pretty much set now and I'm happy about that. Just need a good over stable headwind disc. I almost bought a DX Firebird today for that slot, but decided to try an MVP Shock instead. We'll see if that ends up on the mistake list. It's my first MVP disc.

Also abandoned the Buzzz SS, a Seasoned KC Roc is better.
And a Prodigy PA3 in 350G, the plastic is terrible, after putting and approach shots for a month, it looks worse than a DX disc smashed into trees for years.

Well...All the molds I tried out, I really liked.

Stiletto, so unique, I will likely always carry one
Pa3, its my fav putter ever, It's my go to on all putts within 30
Firebird, I've used one in the past, but got a couple newer ones, a great control OS driver
D5, i love this disc, it's just like my beloved Roadrunner, but faster....I don't know why it isn't popular. I love the thing, got parked on a few holes I've never been close to before.
M5, I like it, I trust it to be understable, it feels comfy to me, it kinda replaced my meteor, that i dont carry anymore

other discs I tried out that I liked, but just don't bag/own them

Halo, great comfy bomber that holds straight the whole way, mild fade
BuzzOS, i like it a lot, very overstable in comparison to a Buzzz, but different than the Drone,
Swan, putter, it was nice, the guy i used it from had it beat in good, it was butter
EPIC, haha, it was given to me, It has a nice straight flight with a hard bite at the very end, awesome for tomahawk throws.

Off the top of my head.

Saint pro- not a speed 9. Worthless 8 tweener between a fb and my secret fairway os.

Buzz os- dumps too hard. I have nothing good to say.

This is exactly how I felt about both these discs. To the letter.

Buzzz OS - Too OS! Still prefer my Wasp.
Tern - My Beasts are easier to control.
Force - Too OS! Prefer my Destroyers.
Predator - Does not compare to Firebirds. Too fast and not as controllable.

Tanks: nice driving putter, not for putting (for me, they were too floppy)

TD: Tried some, got a smoking deal on some and I found out why. There is nothing special about them to me. For their speed and stability, the lack glide. I could bag something slower that flies on similar lines and feels more comfortable in my hand. meh.

FD: I loved my 2nd run C-line, but sadly, it was lost and I am not in the market to replace OOP (or rarer) discs. Phenomenal flyer, shame they were limited to a run.

Element-X: Same deal as above. Great disc, but sadly a butt to replace. I can look elsewhere.

ROC 3..I can't throw ROCS but I always try because all the cool guys love them

Dagger..loved it but was so deep i couldnt get a consistent clean release

CPD..great disc but I prefer the shock/volt /amp setup that I have

River/saint...could bomb these but I learned I prefer consistency over flippy touchy bombers

tangent - not very understable, does not glide at lower speed like every other mvp
f7 - ok flight, just did not seem accurate. too wide of an S curve
lucid escape - felt/flew alright, but nothing special
shark3 - i want to like this disc, but it's not very accurate for me. maybe cuz i have a 166g

i guess i haven't tried too many discs lately lol

Tried some MVP/Axiom and they sucked.

Tried a lot of Trilogy and they all sucked except the Pure.

Tried a few other big bead putters, but Wizards just reign supreme.
Did you actually throw any MVP/Axiom plastic. If so why do find it so necessary to go out of your way to bash them. Just curious why they make you so butthurt.

Did you actually throw any MVP/Axiom plastic. If so why do find it so necessary to go out of your way to bash them. Just curious why they make you so butthurt.

honestly i kinda feel the same way about the company. very non-special to me, minus the anode is cool.
I think for me, MVP is just way too much spin required to do anything magical. Try to play with finesse, and they just drop like bricks. (compared to other companies of course, it's all relative).

and every single mvp disc leans more towards the overstable spectrum. it's just not for me. I prefer to use 100% touch for almost all shots, and this is not a very touch company to me.

To each their own. I don't care who likes them or doesn't, I just wonder why someone would go out of their way to hate on them. It's what I got started with and it was hard to go back to non over molded discs. It's been paying off for me, helped my form develop. There are a lot of great discs to choose from these days, which is awesome. I personally don't feel the need to trash the ones I don't throw every chance I get. Again, to each their own

he's just giving his opinion.
you called it bashing.
it's ok to hate/love a disc/company. i think that's still allowed in america, for now...

We'll agree to disagree. I'm not on Innova threads saying their plastic is terrible. Your just not seeing it man, but it's cool, this is America and you can have your opinion and he can have his and I can have mine. Soooooo... disc golf is awesome.

I haven't bought many i don't love this year. but my friends bought some i despised:

-Innova Tern [chanmpion] : it was like... just only good, never. the wing was too big for me, and i throw pretty hard so if i ever need a turning drive i just use a DX viper.

- Innova Wolf [DX] : Had a buddy that swore by this disc, and i just couldn't get a feel for it. the strange lip on the top of it wasn't comfortable.

- Gateway Samurai [whatever their base plastic is] : i think it just has too high of a speed for me b/c i can usually drive my astra flat and straight easy but it went forever left every time.

- innove shark [DX] : ... the roc3 is just better.

- Innova Groove [champion] : i had hope for this one when i tried it... don't know why he bought it. just plain bad. unpredictable.

Oh God.....
Well...
Full rejections..

Teebird3, FD2, Foxbat, Gazelle, Pa2, Flow, Ridge, Possibly TL, Havoc, Banger, Impact, Dagger, Nova, Hornet, D5, D4, Mace, Pure.

Tried and dropped
KC Aviar = Decent disc, no argument, do not like the feel
Lucid Suspect = Decent disc, but it skipped too much, now use a BT Med Harp
Soft Judge = just ok, never grew confident with it
DX Roc = Yes it is a classic, just kept changing its flight
G* Leopard = flippy, got lost, replaced with regular star plastic
DD Thief = Star Sidewinder better
Tournament Stag = Star Eagle handles better

Still thinking:
Opto Saint = unpredictable for me, though I have some of my best drives with it
G* Thunderbird = more OS than expected (or its my noodle arm), flies like my slower, heavier Ascent. May stick around as a forearm disc.