• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I teach?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have a friend that is going to meet me next weekend at the my practice field, and is bringing some friends that want to learn about disc golf. I am really at a loss on what to tell them , and what should I show them? Please let me know what you would do.

break out the mids and show them proper technique. I wouldn't use any drivers until they can control the mids.

I have a friend that is going to meet me next weekend at the my practice field, and is bringing some friends that want to learn about disc golf. I am really at a loss on what to tell them , and what should I show them? Please let me know what you would do.

i also just started this year,,so if they are beginners and your a seasoned player id show them how to finesse shots more than just power them. When i first started i saw a bunch of video's on x-stepping and reach-back and all the things to drive far. What ive learned now is alot of time a one step or no step drive is fine and choosing your buzz over a driver is better in alot of situations. I think the hardest thing to learn for begginners is learning to lay off and to use your brain. soccer fields are great simply cause you can easily know the footage and u can just shoot at the goals from different angles.

anyway im rambling,,,gl

hide discs in thick brush and have an "easter egg" hunt. This is probably the most valuable skill.

lol @ this it is true if they have good disc finding skills then it will be hard to miss there disc in the field of play.

also maybe just show them the basics of backhand drives and forehand.

show them proper technique and how to release the disc flat so it doesn't fade immediately and maybe different angles of release nose down stuff like that.

maybe show them a few different types of throws and explain some situations of why it would be a good throw to use.

most importantly tell them to have fun with it so they stick around

Yea, I am going to bring my practice basket, and lay out some markers to see how far they are throwing. I might also set up a little 200ft hole with the basket, to let them get a feel for playing and taking more than one shot .

What is making me crazy is this guy I showed how to play, now he tells everyone about disc golf, but he wants me to teach them. This guy learns about disc golf, and all of the sudden, he is Moses coming down from the mountain. He tells everyone about disc golf.

What is making me crazy is this guy I showed how to play, now he tells everyone about disc golf, but he wants me to teach them. This guy learns about disc golf, and all of the sudden, he is Moses coming down from the mountain. He tells everyone about disc golf.

lol well maybe you can arrange a day of disc golfing with him and a few of the people he told then give them pointers as your playing then from there tell them to pick up and practice basket and hit the field with it when they can.

Sounds like your the local hero:) All hail midnightbiker!

Just start by teaching basic backhand skills and techniques and then get them onto the course for the real deal.

The only problem I have is the closest course to me is one of the hardest courses in the area. The easiest course is 24 miles away.

I am taking on a similar task in the near future. My plan is simple and thank goodness I have a few course options within a short drive. But, you are right, star with the basics and have them play catch. I think I am going to make it something like the Discraft getting better quicker video.

Most beginners throw the super high weak hyzer, so I usually start by teaching them to throw flat or even try to get them to throw down and to the right to over correct. I often use the "pull the disc across a table top" or "starting a lawnmower" visuals.

Since they are usually just doing an arm throw at that point, the next step is to get them to do a small reach back (making sure to twist around) and use more of the body to power the throw, that's when they usually see a few good shots for the first time.

Also, I think it's really helps to let them know that not all discs are created equal. I usually like to have them do a few FH and BH throws with something understable and something overstable just to get the general idea.

I would just start with the basic BH throw without any steps (mids and putters). I also think that you have a practice basket so I would use that. Work on approach and putting.

HAHA! Don't be mad Midnight...you're growing the sport, isn't that what we all want? You never know...one of hese guiys you're teaching may have an uncle who's a state senator or a cousin who works for the park & rec. You're growing the game, might help you get more courses closer to home.

I have to second everyone on here, teach them with mids...break out the Rocs and Buzzzes and get them throwing flat. I wouldn't even worry about teh X-step yet...keep their eyes forward and have them release low and flat.

Then work on putting too....if you're going to hook people, they have to feel the results of getting the disc in the chains. Maybe come up with a couple games...long throw, straight throw, curved throw (make them throw around something to try to get by the basket and then move in for some putts.

The only problem I have is the closest course to me is one of the hardest courses in the area. The easiest course is 24 miles away.
It looks like you have found a new career.

**edit**

I didn't reply to the right entry. Maybe you can offer clinics. This guy I knew taught Disc Golf at our City College.

Once they find a disc they are doing o.k. with and youve taught them one or two things let them just play for awhile without any teaching , if theyre having fun encourage them without any learning involved just tell them thats really good or man thats great shot(even if its not that great).

Think of a noob just like a little kid , let them think they are learning on their own but if they ask for help be ready , but dont over do it. Sometimes it gets boring for us teaching someone or playing with a noob , but if their having fun just try to fake it if your not.

Once they find a disc they are doing o.k. with and youve taught them one or two things let them just play for awhile without any teaching , if theyre having fun encourage them without any learning involved just tell them thats really good or man thats great shot(even if its not that great).

Think of a noob just like a little kid , let them think they are learning on their own but if they ask for help be ready , but dont over do it. Sometimes it gets boring for us teaching someone or playing with a noob , but if their having fun just try to fake it if your not.

That's how Omega got so into it...;)
All kidding aside, I think his words make a lot of sense. Just give them the basics, and get them on the way to developing good form.. The game's supposed to be fun. Try to put too much into a "lesson" and they might just think, "This is getting tooo complicated." Let's face it, many of us analyze the living crap out of this stuff (guilty as charged:eek:).

Besides, you often learn more from the bad throws than the good ones. If something gets too much altitude and fades like a wounded duck, or just gets away because of griplock, ask them what they think went wrong there. It'll stick better if it comes from them - you might just want to point them on the right direction and let them figure a bit out for themselves.

I would stick to the basics not releasing with the nose up and how the release angle affects flight path. I would even get started on over/undertsable discs yet. Point is hyzer and anhyzer releases affect all discs similarly.

Last edited:
Set up some pins with tape on trees like back in the day and just play a few rounds.

When I started I sucked, but playing a lot helps and reading through all this and having someone tell me about technique and form would have just pissed me off and scared me away.

Tell them how fun and social it is and just have a good time. All the technical stuff can wait till they are already hooked.

Don't take them to a frustrating course or it will be the end of their disc golfing.
I would start with the putting techniques after they get comfortable you need to show them proper forehand. Most people will throw a disc too high thinking it will fly like a frisbee and they get a wicked hook and no distance. Focus on holding the disc level to the ground and getting some straight distance (about 150 ft).
After that teach them the fun stuff that they are not ready for like the thumber and side arm. They will not do well, but it is always fun to try and that is what will keep them coming back.

Latest posts