• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What to add to the bag?

Nzakes04

I've been playing about a year fairly consistently at least twice a week. Currently I throw a a faith (gstar) sidewinder (gstar) roc dx and a wizard (super soft) I've seen big improvements over the last month and have become more consistent. I am looking for more discs to add to the bag to take me to the next step in my game. Currently I have a solid forehand and improving but average backhand at best.

Don't rush out and buy a bunch of discs... find a friend who's been playing longer (or make a new friend), and take a stack of discs to a field and see what works for you. But don't just base it on what goes the farthest--base it on what goes well and is controllable.

You can also look at the bags of various players and see what top players throw. Basically, it's usually 5 molds for 90%+ of all shots... a putter, a mid (you've got both of those), an overstable driver for wind, skip shots, forehand rollers, etc (Firebird is usually the preferred Innova version of this, Predator for Discraft... unsure about other companies), a neutral fairway driver (sidewinder can work here), and then a distance driver (something like a Destroyer).

My guess is that as you improve, you'll grow out of the Sidewinder.... they tend to not fight enough to hold up to greater armspeed. So I'd start auditioning discs for the fairway driver and overstable driver slots (don't worry about a distance driver yet).... so if you were going to buy anything, buy something like a Firebird and something like a Teebird or Thunderbird and master those. They are discs that will serve you well all the way to a World Championship if you need them to!

To T I M 's point, yours friends will have a variety of discs, start there. Testing before you buy will save you a bit of money and a bit of storage space. Some you will like right away and others will remind you of items you already have in your bag. I have to admit , I still buy a large number of discs each year not as replacements but because i enjoy testing discs my friends do not throw.

Additionally, if you find one that suits you, consider buying a few as back-ups in case you lose your primary thrower. If you do buy multiple discs verify the domes and weights match as this will ensure a similar flight pattern should a back-up make it into your bag.

I also agree that if you can try someone's discs, do it! I always like people to try what's in my bag to see what works for them. the discs you have will take your game pretty far (the ROC is super versatile IMHO), and you can learn a lot from them.

i'm not going to go through what others have said but solid advice.

i think the next disc you should start looking at is a more stable fairway. Dynamic Escape would be my suggestion

Latest posts