• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What to replace my Xcaliber

Thank you very much for the detailed answer buzzinb. That clears things up a lot for me. I think I will have a Surge being delivered to me in the near future :) I look forward to seeing how it flies and to work on my form and release.
I will post some updates after I get some throws in.
Oh by the way, what is a good plastic? My course has a lot of trees but also a good mix of just wide open shots.

Thanks everyone for all the input

ESP has good grip and is very durable.
FLX will also take a beating and is very grippy, but doesn't seem to have have too much glide.
Z is rock-solid and will take forever to beat in but doesn't have as much grip or glide as ESP.

I have new Surges in all three plastics (and below retail :))...PM me if you're interested.

the Destroyer should be an excellent replacement for your Xcaliber, a little less fade at the end too. just give the Destroyer more time to break in and wait until you bang it up on a couple trees, it should get straighter than the Xcal ever was. as for discraft drivers that are comparable, i would highly recommend a Surge or Surge SS in ESP plastic if you want a straighter finish on your flights.

the Destroyer should be an excellent replacement for your Xcaliber, a little less fade at the end too. just give the Destroyer more time to break in and wait until you bang it up on a couple trees, it should get straighter than the Xcal ever was.
I agree with this. I used to throw X cals then went back to Star Destroyers and haven't looked back. The destroyers seem a little more consistent to me. I was getting x cals that where way differenet in stability.

If you liked the XCal, then stick with the XCal. Very small learning curve (if at all) to throwing a disc you already know.

Welcome to the site!

i agree completely. i find myself saying this a lot on this forum, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

A flicker's opinion

I too had a Xcal and yes, I lost mine in a very mean bush. My buddy then handed me a Latitude 64 Halo and it was all she wrote. It is a beautiful flick disc, especially if you like to anhyzer with your flick. Ive tried a predator, surge, crush, etc... you name it, I've flicked it and the Halo hails supreme in my book.

Replacement

hands down, I'd say the crush. It's overstable "right out of the box" which is something you FH throwers need. When it beats in a little (which could take a long time if you get Z plastic), it'll be a much more versatile disc than your Xcal, allowing you to throw a whole range of forehand shots. If you decide to come away from the darkside and throw RHBH, it's a great disc for intermediate players to learn the technique for throwing wide-rimmed distance drivers. It also glides for days. It may not be the newest flashiest driver out there, but it always has a spot in my bag and FWIW, I feel the Z plastic is way more durable than Innova's Champion plastic. The ESP Avenger might also work well since it tends to be more overstable than its D-plastic counterpart. If you're looking for the closest match to your Xcal, it might have to be the Pulse or Force. They both pack enough overstability to not turn into rollers for you.

Star Xcaliber, Starlight Boss, and Starlight Destroyers are my "big three"
forehand drivers. I rotate between them depending on how bad my form gets.

The stabilized Boss will fly lower and straighter than the Xcal, with a quicker finish.

The Xcal excels into any wind, and makes FH drives easy to control.

The Destroyer should be more flippy when new than the Xcal, but with better glide, its a better disc with a following wind.

The other day I finally punched my ultra stupid stable Starlight Destroyer out to a new personal best FH drive on a local hole. I have been trying to beat it in, and its finally got to the point where I can just get it up to proper cruise speed when I throw it with everything I got.

It sounds like your Destroyer is more stable than your Xcal, which is not usually the case, I would work with the Destroyer a little more, play with your hyzer angle on release, see if you can make it fly nice.

I also have a DGA Z Rogue which I do not find to be a good FH disc, too flippy.

Well here is a update.
I purchased a 170 ESP Surge and while I was at it I also got a 170 SS Wizard :)
Wow I have a hard time throwing the Surge. I guess my Xcal got me prety spoiled covering up form flaws. My Xcal would fly around 350 but my Surge only makes it about 230. I try to throw it and it launches to the left prety hard and never recovers (RHFH). I actually lost it my first time out but luckily another group playing through found it for me. I am trying to slow it down but still have the same results. I am guessing that this is due to me having a bad release? Any suggestions? On the plus side it has made me start practicing RHBH a lot more. All in all I like it a lot though, good to use something that forces me to learn and doesn't just cover up my flaws.

Wow I have a hard time throwing the Surge. I guess my Xcal got me prety spoiled covering up form flaws. My Xcal would fly around 350 but my Surge only makes it about 230. I try to throw it and it launches to the left prety hard and never recovers (RHFH).

Pick up that Crush for the interim. It's more forgiving on flaws than the surge, and when you sort out your flaw issues it'll be great for backhand hyzer flips and shots that'll turn slightly left before hyzering out for you when you throw forehand. Getting it in Elite Z ensures it will have a long life in your bag.

Check out Discraft's new instructional video with Jeremy "Big Germ" Koling. When he covers the FH throw, he provides a good example of how to keep it smooth and controlled. He also emphasizes a follow through where the palm ends up facing the sky. This will help to eliminate wrist rollover.

I forehand a beat up star Boss (that's never thrown backhand)... find something that works for you, the forehand is a specialty shot that should only be used when the backhand just won't do the job. I spent a lot of time getting the shot down, but the backhand is so much more consistent...

The Boss is the only disc in my bag faster than a Wildcat. Disc down and throw backhand... the scores will come down.