• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was thrown back in the day...

I scored a brand new 188 gram Jaguar from the Nati this week. Mentioned it to J-DUB last week and this week some kid wandered into the shop with it. Unfortunately, the Jag is for a friend. He was thrilled to have it since his original Jag has a split. We used to give him grief for tossing that lid since we were throwing the "new" stuff. Must say I hated to give it up after I tossed it once. I threw it over 350 ft straight with little effort after playing 54 holes at a pitch and putt. I have to work hard to do that with a modern driver. My bag in the eighties was a Coupe, A few Lightnings, XD and a Phantom. Recently picked up a 200 gram Condor and have a 200 Gram Zephyr on order. I am going to do Super CLass rounds with friends, one disc and a back-up depending on the course.

You can get A LOT done with just a classic roc. I was playing on the course the other day with a guy who started back in '92. He teed off with it on almost every hole and did quite well. He ended up shooting like a 4 under his first time playing the full course. He also had a brand new DX Destroyer that he picked up on the way at a gas station. Had no idea how it flew, and was bombing it off the tee.

I just a got a 184g te moko. It seems so different, I didn't expect this much difference in feel just from the diameter and big rim. Using a birdie grip, I got some decent drives out of it with tailwind; maybe 220 or 250. I think I could play with one of these in windless conditions. But I don't see how anyone played in strong wind back in the day. I could not put enough hyzer on it to deal with the headwind we have right now. I don't think I got it to go more than 100 feet in headwind.

I scored a brand new 188 gram Jaguar from the Nati this week. Mentioned it to J-DUB last week and this week some kid wandered into the shop with it. Unfortunately, the Jag is for a friend. He was thrilled to have it since his original Jag has a split. We used to give him grief for tossing that lid since we were throwing the "new" stuff. Must say I hated to give it up after I tossed it once. I threw it over 350 ft straight with little effort after playing 54 holes at a pitch and putt. I have to work hard to do that with a modern driver. My bag in the eighties was a Coupe, A few Lightnings, XD and a Phantom. Recently picked up a 200 gram Condor and have a 200 Gram Zephyr on order. I am going to do Super CLass rounds with friends, one disc and a back-up depending on the course.

I would love to try a Jaguar again. Lost mine playing moonlight round w/ friends on a local ball golf course. I had a hard time getting enough on it to make it go but when I did it flew sweet! :)

Watching the Frank video, the friend in Kennewick I played with started doing a spin drive like that around '91, 1st time I saw someone throw over 300' w/o a roller.

I just a got a 184g te moko. It seems so different, I didn't expect this much difference in feel just from the diameter and big rim. Using a birdie grip, I got some decent drives out of it with tailwind; maybe 220 or 250. I think I could play with one of these in windless conditions. But I don't see how anyone played in strong wind back in the day. I could not put enough hyzer on it to deal with the headwind we have right now. I don't think I got it to go more than 100 feet in headwind.

The key, believe or not, don't throw as hard into the head wind. Also don't throw a way over stable disc. Just try it. Trust me.

throw it higher and with more spin.

One thing not talked about here is first and second generation Zyphers and Birdies. The first runs of those discs didn't have thumb traks. I have originals that have no thumbtraks. One of the birdies I have has a 1992 Minnesota Majestic stamp.

I also believe the Hammer and the Hammerhead were different discs.

Scorpions went oop in 1993. I was the sales guy for the MFA and when the Innova sales rep said they had stopped production of the Scorpion I bought a stack of 12 from a guy in Iowa. I still have a few that have never been thrown.

This is my memory from those days...most of my bag is old school plastic. I played last week with two guys from this site I met up with in Columbia and one of them said my discs should be in a museum not in a bag.

My goto wind discs were the Phoenix and B-17. Both between 188 and 194 gm, cut the wind like nobody's business. Phoenix was an older plastic that was harder and more durable than modern DX, like a hard champ and I think it floated.

When I started back in 87' my friends from work took me down to Lake Montebello in Baltimore and we didn't have baskets so we aimed at trees that they had spray painted with rings for the tee and Target. Pretty cheesy old story huh?

But they had loaned me a Roc and an XD until I could get my own set I got all the Wham-O's 86, 91, 44, 77, 78 and the big one that looked like an old style frisbee. I still have that old set they are ~30 years old now. Then I started playing DG regularly with my brother, I tried a bunch of Innova discs mostly, aviar, cobra, viper and was in love with my Phenix... throw it right and it floated away.

So I had Stacks of discs and my brother moved to CO and I started a family and had two small children, so no DG for several years. I've finally got my Kids interested to go with me and they are using a lot of the old classic discs I had storred away. I don't figure they are worth much as most of them are pretty beat and dinged up, plus the perm marker where I put my name on them has almost bled thru to the front of the discs.

So I'm figuring we'll get a good show when they hit a tree and blow into a dozen bits of plastic. I did finally get out and buy myself a new bag and a set of Innova discs in the Star Plastic, if the old discs are any indicator I'll have these new discs for the rest of my life.

^^^ I'd say welcome, but you joined a year ago.

Cool story. I love hearing about the "old days."

When my dad and I first started playing (late 80's) we just played with Wham-O big lids, and we threw at trees. Everyone played "folf" in my hometown, but we all used the same style. My dad's friend had one of the truly "old-school" wide as a city block Eagles, and he could throw that thing so laser stright it was silly.

We played a course...must have been early 90s, because I was old enough to actually keep up with my dad, and we found a Shark and a Phenix. I played with them, and just crushed my dad on the course. I dimly recall him searching high and wide for a Phenix for himself. I wanna say he had that and like a Hammerhead or a Coupe...but still only playing with 2 discs.

In the late 90's, when I was working high school jobs, I bought a couple because they had cool stamps on them. I had a Raven, a Ram, a Pegasus, a Teebird and somewhere along the line picked up a Valk and an Archangel. I remeber being able to bomb that Archangel...picked up my first 2 aces with it in High School. Still have made love for Archangels.

Now (as you can tell by my signature) I play with all the latest and greatest. But my dad's bag is: Phenix, Condor, Eagle (the only small-diameter golf disc he plays with) Lynx and a Zephyr for his putter. Sometimes he'll even throw a SuperHero (don't worry, he knows it's a dog disc). Most days I beat him by only one or two strokes. Kills it.

So that answers the question of archer or arrow, for y'all who are wondering.

First disc I bought was in 96 so not that old school but innova dx plastic was awesome not like the r-pro crap they try to pass off as dx. It was a shark and I threw that for a few months until I could carve lines and drive with it consistently. Then I got a cheetah and gazelle I believe. A few months later I had my first Discraft plastic. A domey cyclone that would bomb for those days. That bag of discs got left at an old apartment. Wish I had it back.

Dimple-tech

*threaddrift alert*

I could be wrong about this, but I think the Dynamic Discs company who made discs like the "floater" you listed, as well as the infamous, non-approved dimple, is a different company than the one currently seen of the backs of shirts of many top pros. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm under. Perhaps someone with better knowledge can chime in.

/end threaddrift.
Like this:
SSD.jpg

I saw one of these discs on DSCJNKY's wall of fame & had to have one. They are just so unique & unlike any other disc I've come across. I was able to find this used one on eBay for $10.00. I never threw it but it looks like it could get rid of your fingerprints if needed!

I just spent the last half hour nerding out on this thread, awesome stuff. Thanks for the great history lesson!

If I were to conduct the experiment someone (sorry, I don't remember the username) in this thread was doing and built an old-school bag, what would be the top 3 or 4 discs people would suggest, and where could I get them?

When I first started playing in '76, we used regular store bought Wham-O discs. Then, I discovered Wham-O golf discs, joined PDGA and got discs with my name and number! I still have them... A couple anyway. Then I loaded up with Glow 40, 50, and 70 molds! Some flew straight, some right and left, the large diameter discs, I forgot what they were, were rollers.
Jump ahead to summer 2011, a course was built very near my home. I rode by all the time, feeling the pull once again... Finally breaking out the old plastic and gave it a shot this past summer. Old plastic, 30 year old plastic, was no match for the trees. I smashed three of 'em then put the rest away.
Now, I am rebuilding my arm strength with practice, throwing understable discs and just starting to turn them over. Its frustrating, but fun! I can S curve the Bolt now, and the already beat in DD2. Can't get the Wraith, or the Hysteria flying yet, but I will!
...I remember how far that Super Puppy used to go...wish I still had it.

Was that made by Disc Wares?

what would be the top 3 or 4 discs people would suggest, and where could I get them?

Super Puppy - putt and approach 200g brick
P-38 Lightning - overstable driver
Eclipse - neutral driver in max weight, good roller when beat
Stingray - understable driver

Originals will be hard to find but I think all are still available in new production?

Latest posts