• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was Your First Ace?

Been playing almost 3 years and I have only gotten one ace. It was with a Roc @ "The Meadow" in Greenville NC. As always nobody was around...but it was still sick. I have hit the chains there a couple other times but haven't had it to stick since. Some other close calls but thats the only one.

Its funny how time stands still on those throws that just come off. I've 3 aces this season...all without a witness. But the one that really is memorable for me is the first time I hit the chains from the tee.
I was throwing a RHBH S shape down hill with a left to right cross wind. The wind on this hole almost always wants to lift the disc and carry it away. Its 270 to the basket and there are some big trees near the target.
I threw a Roadrunner sorta nose down, low and brisk to the left and when it left my hand I knew it was good. The wind kept it from crashing, but the disc pretty much stayed 6' off the ground. The Runner flipped and glided out right of the chains, slowed and faded back. CHING! It was in the chains. It was my first tee shot in the chains and I was delirious. The Runner kinda bounced off the chains/post and then balanced on the rim of the basket. And hung. And fell out. I'm like looking around..did u see that...did u see that. lol.
Drop in deuces are great.

I witnessed my first ace the other day. My course is fairly easy and open so its always a possibility, and it seems like everytime I play theres a couple close calls, but still no chains or aces for me. We brought a guy along whod only played once before and was trying to throw backhand. He was only getting 100 feet or so, and I decided to try and teach him forehand like I throw. His second throw he was putting it 300 or so feet, and I knew that it was the style for him. Our second playthrough of the day he uses my beast for the second time ever on the first hole, and the disc pulls a huge S curve and parks right in the basket. Its going to haunt me until I finally ace myself. Our group of four was watching and two other groups of two happened to be on other tees also with a view of the basket. Needless to say I gave him the disc, as I had no rightful claim to ownership after such a beautiful shot.

Cedar Hills #7, Raleigh, NC. I was out with a couple of buddies. The hole is about 250ft long and it's over a pond. I've had trouble with this hole in the past. Something about the water plays tricks with my mind. Nonetheless, my flick was really starting to come along and as of late I had started flicking a Pro Destroyer (use to flick Candy Orc). I stepped up to the tee feeling confident for a change and without much hesitation I just let it rip. I was kind of quick about getting up to the tee pad and throwing before my mind could start to mess with me. Anyway, my Destroyer flew flat and straight and right into the basket. It was one of the best feelings in the world. Finally the Sharpies I carry in my bag could be put to use. My witnesses (my friends) signed my disc to commemorate the occasion. This just happened two months ago after playing DG for nearly 4 years. The best part is I aced this same hole for a second time just one month later (last month). This time I was using a Candy Orc. Break out the Sharpies!

I witnessed my first ace the other day. My course is fairly easy and open so its always a possibility, and it seems like everytime I play theres a couple close calls, but still no chains or aces for me. We brought a guy along whod only played once before and was trying to throw backhand. He was only getting 100 feet or so, and I decided to try and teach him forehand like I throw. His second throw he was putting it 300 or so feet, and I knew that it was the style for him. Our second playthrough of the day he uses my beast for the second time ever on the first hole, and the disc pulls a huge S curve and parks right in the basket. Its going to haunt me until I finally ace myself. Our group of four was watching and two other groups of two happened to be on other tees also with a view of the basket. Needless to say I gave him the disc, as I had no rightful claim to ownership after such a beautiful shot.

I have a similar experience. I brought a friend along who had played two or three times ever. He did not bring any discs and I let him play with a brand new champion gator. On one of the holes he teed off and sunk a 290' for an ace (luckiest one I ever saw,it went through about 20 trees), I just shook my head and smiled. He gave me back my disc at the end but I felt I did not own it anymore.

1st Ace

I started playing 2 years ago...got my first ace on Oct. 11 this year (hole 8 Lakewood Seattle WA) then on the 29th of the same month got my 2nd ace hole 7, of the same course. I figure I used up my luck until next year.

I already posted my ace, but my buddy who is not on here nailed the most impessive ace I have ever seen. It was during a weekly tourney and he won the ace pot to boot. The hole is a 300+ shot tha has 280 of bramble to go around one way or another. If the wind is coming out of the north you can throw a overstable big in to the wind and hyzer (rhbh) it it the hole. But no wind on the day he did... so not having a forehand he threw the nicest RHBH Anhyzer and it just locked in and nailed the basket. We at his tee could only hear, but the group ahead of us let us know it stayed in. Just thought I would share that since my shot was so simple. This fellow and I started at the same time and raced to the ace. I won but not with style. Any other killer aces seen?

I got my first ace this spring at Ottawa Park in Toledo OH, hole #6 with a wraith. The hole is probably about 250' with trees lining the fairway. I've hit chains/basket at least 10 this year with no such luck. It was kind of funny when I got it because I wasn't expecting it, usually you know when you have a chance. My friend looked at me like did that just go in? I was like ummm.. I think so. He got one when we first started playing I finally get one and he gets another like 2 weeks later. I can't wait for the next one.

A blind forehand shot about 270 dogleg right around a mass of chite on East Swinney with a champ monster. Never hit chain, only klunked in the basket; so unexpected.

Couple weeks ago I played Al Pier's random draw doubles tourney and called an opponent's ace. I whispered to my partner right as Dean Bear was approaching the tee to watch him put it in (I swear it was the only time I said it all day). Sure enough, he nailed it and my partner was in disbelief. He's got like six aces on this one buzz; f'n sweet.

my first was at centinnial park in ky. basket 3, 245ft and a straight shot. it was a high throw to the left of the basket that paused in the air before turning into the chains. since then (mid may 08) I've made five aces, four on that course. which isn't saying much because there are very few obstacles there. however my favorite ace happened on 8 at the same dgc. #2 lightning hookshot thumber throw. disc turned upside down like it's supposed to, hit the ground about 30 feet in front of the basket. I was still on the pad and could see it still moving towards the basket in a straight line. what i couldn't see, and the guys i was with could, is the disc was not on the ground but instead raising up towards the basket, next thing i know it is sitting in the basket. sad story is i didn't have the money for the ace pool that day and it was around $100

Hole 17 at Otter Creek

My first ace came on No17 at Otter Creek Park in Brandenburg, Ky. It is a 290FT hole with the basket tucked off to the left in a stand of mature trees. I threw a yellow Star TeeRex down the middle of an open fairway then it faded hard left skipping off of a small uphill slope and into the chains. I heard it hit, but did not get to see it go in.

This was my first, and to date, only Ace.

i've not aced yet either, but came close on 8 and 2 on freeman lake...sadly still have not struck chains from the tee...

I have a "Practice Field " ace. I was at the practice field on Tuesday and nailed a 210ft shot. I wasn't even trying for the basket, I was trying to put more hyzer on my Avenger SS to see how it would fly, and it nailed the chains. I just stood there in disbelief. Why can't I do that on the course?

No ace yet for me either. I have been close a few times. All at Iroquois Park here in Louisville Ky. I have hit metal twice. Once on hole seven (inch or two lower) and once on hole twelve (inch or two higher). Once on hole two I was a foot above the basket but it still looked golden. I almost skipped one in on the practice hole once.

I forgot to mention that I almost had a black ace once. I hit eighteens basket from the practice pad on a poor drive. :D

My first(and only) ace came 11/08/08 @ Sharp Springs in smyrna tn.
hole #9 the hole dubbed "I ain't scared" for reason the murky pond you must throw over.(it was really named for "I ain't scared" to retrive my disc out of the muck)
the strange part was that I normally throw a disc I dont much care for, if it hits the drink, it can swallow it.
That day we were playing doubles so I decided to throw my Tbird because of wind....it did the whole drift up and down, the line looked good, and to our amazement hit dead on.....an unforgetable moment for sure.
there are pics on my public profile, in the sharp springs album......got a pic of the disc all signed by the witnesses..................what a day!!
to top it all off me and my doubles partner needed those 2 strokes for the win.

My first(and only) ace came 11/08/08 @ Sharp Springs in smyrna tn.
hole #9 the hole dubbed "I ain't scared" for reason the murky pond you must throw over.(it was really named for "I ain't scared" to retrive my disc out of the muck)
the strange part was that I normally throw a disc I dont much care for, if it hits the drink, it can swallow it.
That day we were playing doubles so I decided to throw my Tbird because of wind....it did the whole drift up and down, the line looked good, and to our amazement hit dead on.....an unforgetable moment for sure.
there are pics on my public profile, in the sharp springs album......got a pic of the disc all signed by the witnesses..................what a day!!
to top it all off me and my doubles partner needed those 2 strokes for the win.
Congrats! I bet the guys you were playing against were royally chapped by that turn of events

Am I the only one who seriously hates this thread? In 2008 I had 8 medal hits including two rakes across the cahins one kick out, and one that bounced in and out of the basket. When lord? When?

Thanks magictenor1,
All the guys were too excited to be chapped(unless they hid it well) For all of us, it was the first one seen go from release to basket. my one friend got a blind ace before. So it was good for all.

DGtourist,
All i can say is when it happens, it will be when you least expect it.
and savor the moment, It happens fast and then its done, on to the next hole.

Latest posts