• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what would be your call on this.

I was on the card that this happened on. Neato.

Here are the facts of the situation:

First off. The disc was 100% surrounded by concrete.

Second. We took pictures of the lie and played the shot both ways. (inbounds/out of bounds)

Third. The retaining wall and sidewalk were flush surfaces. The fence that the disc was leaning against was bolted to the same flush surface. If you unbolted the fence and removed it, it would not be obvious that the side walk and the retaining wall were two separate things.

So, those are the facts.

Here's my opinion based on seeing it first hand:

First. It was crazy and I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. The wind was blowing steady 25 which pinned the disc against the fence vertically and it just leaned there when it came to rest.

Second. The OB was on or across sidewalk. There was no mention of retaining wall. But, my interpretation, personally, was on or across concrete. And again, most people would have considered this retaining wall part of the side walk anyway.

Having TD tournaments in the past, I would have ruled it OB and it would have been and easy call to make.

Any chance you can post a pic for those not envisioning the specifics?

I was on the card that this happened on. Neato.

Here are the facts of the situation:

First off. The disc was 100% surrounded by concrete.

Second. We took pictures of the lie and played the shot both ways. (inbounds/out of bounds)

Third. The retaining wall and sidewalk were flush surfaces. The fence that the disc was leaning against was bolted to the same flush surface. If you unbolted the fence and removed it, it would not be obvious that the side walk and the retaining wall were two separate things.

So, those are the facts.

Here's my opinion based on seeing it first hand:

First. It was crazy and I don't think I'll ever see anything like it again. The wind was blowing steady 25 which pinned the disc against the fence vertically and it just leaned there when it came to rest.

Second. The OB was on or across sidewalk. There was no mention of retaining wall. But, my interpretation, personally, was on or across concrete. And again, most people would have considered this retaining wall part of the side walk anyway.

Having TD tournaments in the past, I would have ruled it OB and it would have been and easy call to make.

Is the fence on the inbounds side of the sidewalk? In other words does the order go: grass/dirt, retaining wall with fence, then sidewalk?

What would your call be on this. This past weekend at a tourney we had a disc skip up on a retaining wall an lean on a fence, the disc is touching the retaining wall which is on the inside side of the defined sidewalk line. So is the retaining wall part of the sidewalk or part of the fairway. There was another hole people were playing these concrete slabs with picnic tables on them safe cause there were technically inside the defined sidewalk path but we're right flush with the sidewalk. What is your call?

Agree I can't visualize the scenario. A picture would help.

I've learned that is best to throw provisionals when something unclear had happened. Then you can let the TD decide later.

This sounds like something the TD should either have clarified before the round. Where the line is drawn, no matter what the surface, that is where the OB is. Rule of verticality.

Bradlove my first call was ob people brought up why would it be different then playing the slabs on 18 inbounds that were flush with the sidewalk. People said those were inside the defined sidewalk path. An the person that this call effected was also effected on 18 but had no problem from playing his upshot from the slab because one person brought up the fact that it's in the defined sidewalk. An according to the rules committee that just cuz the retaining is concrete an flush with the sidewalk does not make it ob it's the job of the TD to defined the ob properly in which I failed at that.

I'd go along with any call that you made as correct. I see both sides of the argument. I was just stating how I would have called it.

Maybe in the future you just say on or across any concrete is OB. The slabs on 18 were easy enough to avoid and had picnic tables on them too, so you probably wouldn't want people going near them (hence declaring that area OB to discourage it). That will clear up any and all issues.

All in all, a good job TDing. Only 2 questionable scenarios through 4 rounds and 2 courses. Not to shabby.

Also, I don't have a copy of the photo, another guy on the card took the pictures.

Latest posts