• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

Buzzz all the way in my mind.

I didn't read through every post. Did anyone suggest starting off with a higher quality plastic then the DX stuff? Since those things break in so quickly I'd lean towards a Z or Champ disc so that their disc isn't changing on them.

D-line P3- shallow rim and is great driving putter/first putter to learn. If the person has an athletic background or is more coordinated then a MD2 or Dx Gazelle.

As long as it's a more shorter course without big bombers, a good driving putter would be best, the large mids are great but they can be awkward for newer players. The Magic, Rattler, XD, etc would work well (if someone local has some Lightning stuff for sale, you could probably pick up some Upshots for next to nothing and if they don't take to the game no big loss, if they like it they can upgrade to better plastics). If it has longer holes and is more of a fairway course then mids would be better,anything stable to understable will be a good workhorse for them, except maybe the Wolf, one of the few on that side without glide.

I would give a beginner a Vibram Ibex (or something similar like a Shark).

I gotta say comet. It's the straightest flying disc out there. From my experience new players tend to start out throwing with either way too much hyzer or way too much anhyzer.
I'm not a huge fan of trying to "teach" new players, I'd rather give them an easy to throw disc and let them play. I take newer players to a short course (longest hole is 285') and give them a putter, a mid and a fairway driver based on their arm strength (usually a Buzzz/Teebird combo or something similar) and play the course with just a putter/mid to prove that there's no need for high speed stuff. If they get serious I'll steer them to a Comet or something similar but trying to throw a touchy disc like the Comet while you're learning seems like a recipe for frustration to me.

I start out giving them a 150 DX Leopard and see how their form is. If they are naturals, then I will give them a Star Leopard or something similar for drives, and I just give them a regular old Aviar to use as a putter.