• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

cubeofsoup

Birdie Member
I have a bunch of friends and family that are interested in giving the game a try. I want to buy some discs to give out to my parents/friends/family. Not sure if I should go with a putter or a mid.

Buzzz? Comet? Aviar? Cobra?

What do you think? Maybe a different choice for women/men?

DX Shark or Leopard. Not only good choices, but discs I always seem to have laying around my trunk due to finding them laying around with no ink on them.

I would definitely start them out with maybe a Destroyer or Ape. Even maybe an Excaliber. I think the fastest possible discs on the market should be given to noobs. LOL!!

All joking aside, I would start them out with the Cobra. It has a very shallow rim and is very easy to throw. Congrats on getting more people involved in the sport. Good luck.

go mid, buzzz or comet of the ones that you listed. comet may be a little frustrating cause its a touchy disc unless you snag it in z.

cannot go wrong with the buzzz. cobra meh not a popular mold may get forgotten about once they start getting into the sport. 160s buzzz for the win. let them only use the one disc no need to complicate it at least for their first few rounds.

When my buddy started last year we also went to the field before a round and played catch so that he was able to get used to the disc and throwing before the course.

oh and tell everyone to have a blast!!!

I gotta say comet. It's the straightest flying disc out there. From my experience new players tend to start out throwing with either way too much hyzer or way too much anhyzer. The comet will teach them to throw straight and won't encourage any bad habits. I hand the comet to new players all the time and most people love it. It also makes a decent putter because it's so slow.

I usually just give out the DX discs I have laying around.

If I was going to buy one disc, it would be a long putter or mid. Probably a DX Dart.

I have started 3-4 people playing disc golf and have found that the best is to let them play around with my discs and see what they like and can throw well. After they have played a few times, ask them to invest 20-30 dollars to get a set to play with. Here is what they have settled on in my experience.

BB Putter (like wizard or KC) or No Bead Putters (like P&A or Omega)

Comet or Buzzz in higher grade plastic

Gazelle, XL, Leopard, Teebird in lower grade plastic.

Buzzz for sure...hands down. And I'm seconding the option of the Buzzz SS also. If anything and they don't keep playing....you can keep the discs for yourself :)

Innova DX plastic Gazelle

low speed, easy to throw

I started with this and a Shark. They were great until i decided incorrectly that i needed a monarch..
I would say just grab a shark from a sports authority and if you like Dg grab a putter and a teebird or stalker or something.