• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

It depends on the person. Some will enjoy it throwing putters and mids, but others will get frustrated because they can't get nearly as much D as you.

Some people you can hand a putter or mid to and explain that they will get better faster throwing that disc, but others will just complain about not having a driver and will have to get hooked first before they go back to get better.

I personally would give them some options (backups from my bag) to throw the first couple times they play and once they are hooked get them their favorite of those.

Discs would be leopard, roadrunner, buzzz

Depends on if the beginner wants to learn or have fun.

For a teaching type of round, go with a Wizard.

For a fun round, try out a Roc.

I'd probably make them suffer through a Fuse. Maybe a 175 Opto. It will glide easily even on a poor throw, but will force them to be smooth and have some semblance of form.

I'd say shark. When I was first starting I think I had the most constancy with that disk

...All joking aside, I would start them out with the Cobra. It has a very shallow rim and is very easy to throw. Congrats on getting more people involved in the sport. Good luck.

DX Cobra.

I still carry one in the bag at all times.

Gotta go with a dx cobra or dx stingray.

YES! YES! YES!

DSCN3908.jpg

Maximizer and/or Optimizer.
Perfect discs for newbs.

For younger players or women, I would suggest the Kite or Wedge. It is the only disc they will need. They can drive, approach and putt with one disc.

Once they can get these discs to fly straight off the tee, it is time to get a Leopard.

Men or stronger players can get started with a Shark or Leopard.

girlfriend loves her some shark, magic, cheetah, eagle x action. All in 150s. She has made tremendous improvement in just weeks. Has the ability to par most holes on the local course.

A 160ish DX Shark is a fantastic single disc for a beginner. It's controllable and slow enough that they'll be able to learn different lines with it, and it's got a nice rounded nose that makes putting with it reasonable.

buzzz people have already jizzzed all over this thread... why in the world would you give somebody a buzzz for one disc.. that's lunacy. if any DC mid it's got to be a comet.. you're all brainwashed.

Depends on who it is I guess. A Comet or an other stable->understable midrange would work.

The EDGE program discs are cool - I have a couple 120g Rocs that work great for beginners.

How about a 95g Polecat?

Depends on who it is I guess. A Comet or an other stable->understable midrange would work.

The EDGE program discs are cool - I have a couple 120g Rocs that work great for beginners.

How about a 95g Polecat?

Polecat's rims are too deep for most of my kids. Why Innova thinks polecats are good for kids is a mystery to me.