• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

I think the Leopards, Aviars, Sharks, Buzzzes, etc are all good answers and more readily available, but if you take the mainstream factor out of the equation, my answer is the Element in S plastic. Feels great, flies great, and it's really a shame you can't walk into a gas station near the course or to a regular everyday sports store and pull an Element off the shelf like you can do with the others above.

I would say a shark although I started with a spider and it is a good disc as well, I gave my cousin an aftershock to start out with it is one of my favorites, also a mako is a good piece of plastic

I used a cobra for a long time. Used it in place of a driver early on, then moved on to a JLS and a Monarch. I could throw the monarch further, but didn't have the control I had with JLS. I kept the cobra for a long time, there in a pond one day and haven't bothered replacing it.

I think the Leopards, Aviars, Sharks, Buzzzes, etc are all good answers and more readily available, but if you take the mainstream factor out of the equation, my answer is the Element in S plastic. Feels great, flies great, and it's really a shame you can't walk into a gas station near the course or to a regular everyday sports store and pull an Element off the shelf like you can do with the others above.

Actually the element would probably be one of a handful of discs still on the shelf. Gateway makes all kinds of discs but only sells putters.

I can offer a relatively new-player opinion (little over a month playing so far)...

I'm a 6'3", 195lbs male in decent shape. I did a fair amount of research on starting discs and started with the Innova starter set, all 150g. After playing with those for two weeks, I wasn't at all comfortable with them. I only used the Aviar for short putts, couldn't throw the Shark to save my life and spent half of my time in the woods with the Leopard (which I threw for just about everything). I think they were just too light for my build.

After doing a LOT more research, I decent to go the "disc down" route. I bought three DX Aviars, all 170, and played ONLY with those for two weeks. If I had a bad shot, I had backups of the same disc and weight to practice the shot again. I feel I have them down good now, and this week I added two DX Rocs, 174g, and I'm working on them.

In answer to your question, I'd say a putter. Starting out, I found myself FAR more frustrated with going all over the place with my Leopard than I did with short distance with my Aviars when I "started over". New players probably have a better chance at 4s and 5s going 100ft at a time with a putter than they do going 150ft, hard left or right into the woods. One can get decent distance (150-200ft) with a putter in a short amount of time.

In answer to your question, I'd say a putter. Starting out, I found myself FAR more frustrated with going all over the place with my Leopard than I did with short distance with my Aviars when I "started over". New players probably have a better chance at 4s and 5s going 100ft at a time with a putter than they do going 150ft, hard left or right into the woods. One can get decent distance (150-200ft) with a putter in a short amount of time.

90% or more of beginners will not be that patient, especially if playing with others throwing 250'+

While I agree that putters teach good form, a beginner will probably have a better experience with a neutral mid.

It depends on the person. Some will enjoy it throwing putters and mids, but others will get frustrated because they can't get nearly as much D as you.

Some people you can hand a putter or mid to and explain that they will get better faster throwing that disc, but others will just complain about not having a driver and will have to get hooked first before they go back to get better.

I personally would give them some options (backups from my bag) to throw the first couple times they play and once they are hooked get them their favorite of those.

Discs would be leopard, roadrunner, buzzz
Maybe the most level headed comment I've seen in regards to helping new people get into the sport.:thmbup:

If I had to throw nothing but mids and putters when I first started I would have quit. It was the frustration of learning to throw a Discraft XL flat and straight that gave me my love for the sport. With the promise of more distance that I would get from that XL, it kept me coming back and learning everything I could.

I do you use putters and mids for driving, checking form, and learning new techniques now, but back then it would have bored me to death.

I've been with my wife for 8 years and have tried and tried to get her to try to throw....she always walks the course with me but will never throw...I got her a Diamond light 150g (thanks SGAmerp) and her first drive put a smile on her face and she likes to go to the course!! still won't play the whole course but hey...I got her to appreciate the sport more...and hopefully began her "addiction"!!

I've been with my wife for 8 years and have tried and tried to get her to try to throw....she always walks the course with me but will never throw...I got her a Diamond light 150g (thanks SGAmerp) and her first drive put a smile on her face and she likes to go to the course!! still won't play the whole course but hey...I got her to appreciate the sport more...and hopefully began her "addiction"!!

I've been with my wife for 27 years. I took her to the course and handed her a Rampage. She got so frustrated she has never been back out with me. Life is good!:D

A medium weight Buzzz. My son's first disc disc is going to be the lightest Buzzz I can get my hands on. He's already getting pretty good at tossing my putters around. Well as good as he can for being four months shy of two years old.