• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

I say move on. It's a piece of plastic. If the guy looked like a newbie tell him 'hey that looks like one of my old discs. I already have a new one and you can keep it. I throw it this way and it does this. Hope this disc is as good for you as it was for me.' Pass it on. Grow the sport.

This is completely disc dependent for me. For certain discs I'll cut him. For others, I'd just tell him he's lucky to own what a champion has thrown.

No matter your decision, it's a small thing in the long run.

I would make my decision and live with it. If you find that you've erred (perhaps the dude calls you a fool and rubs it in), take that as a learning moment and go forward. Believe me, I've been 'suckered' many times in disc golf as well as in other areas of life 'trying to be a nice guy'...and rewarded just as many times.

The point is not to rely upon others for your own validation, especially strangers...you'll be fine as long as your decisions are in keeping with your values and goals. In fact, I'd say if that's the case, you can't ever really 'go wrong'...but if the result really bothers you, figure out why...

If I would have thought first instead of just reacting to seeing the disc, I would have watched him throw the teebird and then traded him for something he could make better use of. Like everyone here I have a stack of discs in my trunk that I'm not throwing. And he if would not have jumped in front of me, which really annoys me for some reason....Anyway. I apologized to him for jumping on him out of the blue...but I don't feel I need to apologize to anyone for wanting my disc back.

I was feeling all warm and tingly "you just think I'm going to give you that?" and then I kept the disc and played on.

I've carry just one disc in my bag with somebody else's ink on it. I called him and he didn't want it returned and said to enjoy the disc! I take the disc return (or possible return) seriously and as a 2 way thing, though I don't usually ink mine though unless it's a real beat-in go-to. Figure if I make a shot so bad that a thorough search pattern can't locate said badly thrown disc, then I deserve to pay the ultimate penalty!!

You did a good deed by letting him keep the disc in the end.

If I had a extra disc in the bag I would had let him keep that instead.

I was confused at first; I thought you only had your signature, not a phone number on the disc, so even if the guy wanted, he didn't have an immediate way of contacting you. Not sure how I would have reacted because I ink almost all of my discs with my phone number... Actually I use a Google voice number that I forward to my actual phone so I don't just (quite literally) throw my real number out there. But I'd have come across a disc that I inked with my number, I'd be upset that upon recognition and proof, the guy didn't say, "hey my bad, my friend gave it to me and I just figured he tried calling the number... Here" and offer it back. Like you, I'd probably give him a disc or offer him a reward if that happened. I think the way you initially handed it was a little childish, but obviously so did you since you apologized for jumping on him. His total behavior was way more out of line though. I call the number on every disc I find. Usually, people are just kind of, "oh yeah, I totally shanked that drive, you can have that old leopard, I don't need it", but I'm always ready to reunite a lost favorite.

I can't think of a diplomatic way to say this so ...

Seriously? You abandoned the disc and think you're entitled to walk up to a complete stranger and grab it and walk off? How do you know he didn't buy it at PIAS or from a trunk seller? DB move all the way. 24/7/365.

The minute you originally walked off and left it behind you surrendered any right to recovering it. Would it have been courteous for the finder to call you up when he found it? Sure; but that's a courtesy, not an obligation. At the very least you owed the dude a finder's fee if you really wanted it back. The fact that you eventually looked him up and gave it back to him shows that you know you were in the wrong.

This...100%. If I stop looking for a disc I lost, it's no longer mine.

Just so y'all know, during the time it takes me to drive home and back to get my rusty machete I use to hack down brush which obscures my disc... I'm still looking for it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the local park that I usually play at there is a lake. Now that the lake is really low I have found a lot of disks. there is no one there to give lost disks to. If they have numbers on them I call. Not because I feel obligated to but because I choose to. I have also lost a few disks. If someone finds them and calls great. If they keep them that's good to. I started playing only because I was out walking around the park back in January and found a disk (with no number) and started throwing it at baskets.(How was I supposed to know you don't putt with a Vulcan) Maybe finding my lost disk will give someone else a start or give someone a disk that fits their game.

So you lost a disc months ago, and took it from someone that only had 2 discs? Jesus dude. Would have never crossed my mind to take it back, because I would have certainly replaced it by then. It's a disc, it probably meant a lot more to him being one of the few disc he played with than you - who probably has 200 backups and a whole bag to play with (generalization being made about people who post on disc golf forums like this)

I have no idea how someone can be so self-centered or just plain stupid.

Whoa! Medicate VictorB!

If you want to get your lost discs back put your phone # and a female name on your discs. Or put in big ugly sharpie on the back "reward if found and returned". Make your discs so ugly that no one else will want to throw them. I've been thinking of just putting "Congratulations! You have just found one of thrembo's lost discs! Keep it and throw it or give it to a noob!" on all of my throwers.

That's cool and it's your decision, for yourself only. You don't get to make that decision for me or anyone else. Lots of times I've had to stop looking for a disc because of darkness or some kind of external time limitation, and come back the next day to look for it.

As for the OP, also I understand there is a possibility that the 2-disc guy may have gotten it through completely legitimate means, so I'd offer him $5 or a trade.

I understand how it unfolded, and you were cool enough to offer it to him later. he learned something about how things work and you gained some perspective too. time to move on and have fun again.

At the local park that I usually play at there is a lake. Now that the lake is really low I have found a lot of disks. there is no one there to give lost disks to. If they have numbers on them I call. Not because I feel obligated to but because I choose to. I have also lost a few disks. If someone finds them and calls great. If they keep them that's good to. I started playing only because I was out walking around the park back in January and found a disk (with no number) and started throwing it at baskets.(How was I supposed to know you don't putt with a Vulcan) Maybe finding my lost disk will give someone else a start or give someone a disk that fits their game.

Casey, is that you? :p

I had a discussion about something like this with a friend of mine the other day. He used to call numbers, but had so many people tell him "just keep it", that he stopped calling. Then he lost his favorite disc, without his number on it. It went into freezing rapid water I. January and I went to great lengths to engage the local community and get it back for him.

My point to him was, you never know when it's someone's favorite disc they lost. Do the right thing and try to get it back if you find one.

We came to the conclusion that every lost disc is the opportunity to be a better person. If we lose the disc, and it doesn't return to us, it's OK, it's just a thing, even our favorite disc is just a thing. If we find a disc with a name or number, or even without, we make the attempt to get it back to its owner, check on local groups, call, even Google names if we need to. Making someone's day by reaching out to return their disc is a much better reward than some free used plastic or even a "finder's fee".

Latest posts