• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

That's cool and it's your decision, for yourself only. You don't get to make that decision for me or anyone else. Lots of times I've had to stop looking for a disc because of darkness or some kind of external time limitation, and come back the next day to look for it.

As for the OP, also I understand there is a possibility that the 2-disc guy may have gotten it through completely legitimate means, so I'd offer him $5 or a trade.

Your hard to find disc is going to be found by someone in the darkness the same night you lost it nearing darkness? Cool story.

So, I'm playing my local course and a guy comes out of nowhere and jumps ahead of me. But then when I roll up to the tee pad he is waiting for me to go through. Okay good I think. But when I look on the picnic bench there sits a champ teebird that I lost a few months ago.

I picked it up and told him it was mine...here look at the signature on the rest of my discs...and he goes "you just think I'm going to give you that?". I stuck it in my bag and started to throw my drive. I said that you can't give someone what already belongs to them.

He said it was his only driver and he offered to trade me the only putter he had. I said no get out of here. Then he asked if he could just use it the rest of the day. LOL. It was obvious he was a beginner and really confused about why I would take his disc.

But then my better angel came out and just told him to keep it. I even flagged him down later in the round to apologize for being a DB about a disc.

I'm sitting here wondering if I'm just a sucker for a sad story or if letting him keep the disc was actually the right thing to do in the situation. He seemed to need the disc more than I did.

What would you guys do?

Dude, that is a bizarre story. What are the odds that you would wind up at the course with the same newbie that found your disc and then for him to leave it for you to find? Sounds like the universe was giving you a chance to get your disc back and to hook him up with another one from your bag. You decided to pass on the lost one. It's like the universe was testing you both.:confused:

So you lost a disc months ago, and took it from someone that only had 2 discs? Jesus dude. Would have never crossed my mind to take it back, because I would have certainly replaced it by then. It's a disc, it probably meant a lot more to him being one of the few disc he played with than you - who probably has 200 backups and a whole bag to play with (generalization being made about people who post on disc golf forums like this)

I have no idea how someone can be so self-centered or just plain stupid.

Nothing was taken from anybody. You obviously didn't read the whole post or the subsequent posts which is self-centered and just plain stupid.

Nothing was taken from anybody. You obviously didn't read the whole post or the subsequent posts which is self-centered and just plain stupid.

I actually read the entire thread.

Just because you gave it back doesn't mean you didn't take it initially. Yes, you gave it back, and that's good because you obviously realized you made a poor choice, or just felt bad for taking something that had been lost for months.

Whoa! Medicate VictorB!

If you want to get your lost discs back put your phone # and a female name on your discs. Or put in big ugly sharpie on the back "reward if found and returned". Make your discs so ugly that no one else will want to throw them. I've been thinking of just putting "Congratulations! You have just found one of thrembo's lost discs! Keep it and throw it or give it to a noob!" on all of my throwers.

This...100%. If I stop looking for a disc I lost, it's no longer mine.

If it's something I really value, I'll look until I find it or darkness sets in (and then I'll be back in the morning if I can)

All in all, they are just frisbees, and no disc I bring to golf with is not replaceable.

Last edited:
Your hard to find disc is going to be found by someone in the darkness the same night you lost it nearing darkness? Cool story.

or the next day, before I make it out there...
[eyeroll]

I don't care how you handle this for your own discs, that's your business. This one's not your disc. Stay in your lane.

I'll never understand the mindset that every found disc must have been abandoned by its owner. To me, any argument I hear or read to that end is making wild assumptions and really stretching far to justify either laziness, selfishness or outright theft.

If you find a disc, you don't know how it came to be there. You don't know the circumstances under which it was left behind...whether it was given up on after a minimal search, whether the owner spent two hours searching into the dark, or whether it was a tournament situation where the owner was forced by rule to leave it behind. You don't know that it wasn't accidentally dropped and not missed until minutes, hours, or even days later. You don't even know that it was the owner that lost it where you found it...that it wasn't found my some other yahoo who threw it and lost it himself. Bottom line being, YOU...DON'T...KNOW.

It takes so little effort to try to contact the number or email on the disc, there's no reason not to do so. If you don't want to make the effort, just leave the disc where it was.

I'll never understand the mindset that every found disc must have been abandoned by its owner. To me, any argument I hear or read to that end is making wild assumptions and really stretching far to justify either laziness, selfishness or outright theft.

If you find a disc, you don't know how it came to be there. You don't know the circumstances under which it was left behind...whether it was given up on after a minimal search, whether the owner spent two hours searching into the dark, or whether it was a tournament situation where the owner was forced by rule to leave it behind. You don't know that it wasn't accidentally dropped and not missed until minutes, hours, or even days later. You don't even know that it was the owner that lost it where you found it...that it wasn't found my some other yahoo who threw it and lost it himself. Bottom line being, YOU...DON'T...KNOW.

It takes so little effort to try to contact the number or email on the disc, there's no reason not to do so. If you don't want to make the effort, just leave the disc where it was.

Cars, on the other hand, if found without their owner, may be treated as abandoned, without such considerations.

I just wish more people would abandon their keys with their cars.

I actually read the entire thread.

Just because you gave it back doesn't mean you didn't take it initially. Yes, you gave it back, and that's good because you obviously realized you made a poor choice, or just felt bad for taking something that had been lost for months.

If it's something I really value, I'll look until I find it or darkness sets in (and then I'll be back in the morning if I can)

All in all, they are just frisbees, and no disc I bring to golf with is not replaceable.

Not buying it. The poor choice would have been to just walk away with my GD frisbee, which I still own regardless of what your opinion is. I would not feel guilty at all about it. But I let the guy rent it for free in perpetuity. I do feel good about that.

Just don't understand people trying to justify keeping things that don't really belong to them just because the owner is not in sight. If you respect people you keep your grubby hands of stuff that does not belong to you. Leave it there if your too lazy to call.

I feel bad for your dog.

Sorry, I was putting myself in the OP's situation, he had his pit bull with him. I would never own such a killing machine.

So, don't feel sorry for a dog I don't have, but feel free to feel sorry for me.

Sorry, I was putting myself in the OP's situation, he had his pit bull with him. I would never own such a killing machine.

So, don't feel sorry for a dog I don't have, but feel free to feel sorry for me.

Haha I noticed that well after I posted.

Still kinda feel bad for his dog. Poor thing was probably like "dad, just play a round with the guy and teach him the ways!"

Well Philstine I'm glad I don't know you so that I don't have to worry about you around my stuff. So anything that's not nailed down is fair game to sticky fingered people like you? The guy said his friend found the disc a couple of months ago. Could have called the number but chose not to. That's a true DB move, I'm sure you understand that tingly "finders keepers" feeling.

Just to be clear: the DB move of the guy's FRIEND who found the disc and didn't call you excuses YOUR DB move? Rationalize much?

Just to be clear: the DB move of the guy's FRIEND who found the disc and didn't call you excuses YOUR DB move? Rationalize much?

The person in possession of the disc (lame boy) can't read so he didn't know what the name said or what the funny numbers were. Unless they were lied to and told some bs such as perp #1 called op and op told him to just keep the disc.

OP made no DB move.

Life is a myriad of amazing occurrences.

So what's your rationale for thinking you should keep discs that you happen to find. Do you think you are just entitled? Finders keepers? Is it just discs you feel this way about or everything that belongs to other people? Again, I'm glad I don't know you, you sound like a creep.

Could have called the number but chose not to. That's a true DB move.
I'm all about this.

Lost disc rule #1: Anyone who really wants their lost disc returned puts their number on it. Make it as easy as possible for the person to reach you. Don't make the finder look look you up.

Lost disc rule #2: If you're not willing to call/text, don't pick it up. Let someone willing to contact the owner do it.

As for the OP, I'd have offered him a $5 finder's fee if it were important to me, or maybe another driver from my car. Seems I always have something in there.

If he continued to be a DB about it, I'd just move on. I'm not gonna let a single lost disc ruin a 2nd round.

Last edited:
So what's your rationale for thinking you should keep discs that you happen to find. Do you think you are just entitled? Finders keepers? Is it just discs you feel this way about or everything that belongs to other people? Again, I'm glad I don't know you, you sound like a creep.

I'm always a bit bewildered by the part of the Finders Keepers philosophy which simultaneously says:

(1) It's only a piece of plastic. Because it has little value, the owner shouldn't want it back---unlike a wallet or car or just about anything else he may have left somewhere. But....

(2) It has enough value that I should want to keep it when I find it.

Which always seems to be the argument by those who declare a found disc to have been abandoned, and ownership relinquished, as compared to wallets or cars or any other examples where keeping a found item would not be considered.

I do my best to return all discs I find. But I think it's an unreasonable comparison when you compare a wallet to a disc. Many people, some in this thread, have said there is a possibility they would let the founder keep the disc. No one would allow anyone to keep their wallet.

I do my best to return all discs I find. But I think it's an unreasonable comparison when you compare a wallet to a disc. Many people, some in this thread, have said there is a possibility they would let the founder keep the disc. No one would allow anyone to keep their wallet.

That's true.

An argument might be made that, because it is the custom of disc golf to mark discs with contact information, unmarked discs are less likely to be wanted back. Not a great argument, but one that can be made.

But the problem is that the Finder is deciding whether the owner wants the disc back, without asking, and without a clue as to the story behind the disc being where he found it.

The underlying principle, for the wallet or disc, is that someone doesn't relinquish ownership by leaving something somewhere. The assumption of abandonment doesn't apply to wallets or jackets or baseball bats or much of anything else.

But the contradiction I was addressing was the one that declares that the disc has no value (to the owner) but has value (to the finder).

Latest posts